T90 Cluster Gear Installation Help

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
goodeboy22
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

T90 Cluster Gear Installation Help

Post by goodeboy22 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello All,

I started assembly on my T90 and ran into a little problem. It appears someone has worked on this transmission before and ground down the nub that prevents the thrust washer on the small end of the cluster gear from rotating. Turning the input shaft the cluster gear along with both thrust washers spin. Has anybody encountered this problem before? Any thoughts on how I should proceed. I am using a NOS cluster gear I ordered from Ron and the master rebuild kit from Novak. The other issue have is endplay of the cluster gear. I am still working out a way to hold my dial indicator on this but I don't feel any end play of the gear. the Service manual shows its should have between .012-.018".

Regards,

David
1943 GPW

4X4M38
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
Re: T90 Cluster Gear Installation Help

Post by 4X4M38 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:37 pm

David,
Are you talking about the rear of the case and cluster?

There should be a steel thrust washer with a tab on it. That fits into
a large cast v in the end of the case. That's what keeps that steel washer
from rotating. Next is a bronze washer. There are two versions. One is bronze
on both sides with oil grooves on the flat, with no tabs to keep it from
rotating. It is used with a cluster that does not have notches in the end.

The second one is bronze with no oil grooves but has two tabs. It is used
with a cluster that has two notches in the end to keep that washer from rotating.

People with the cluster with no notches have used a Dremel to grind notches
in the cluster to be able to use the washer with tabs.

You can still buy the non tabbed bronze thrust washer. That's what I did instead
of taking a Dremel to my cluster.

I've been told if you can rotate everything by hand using the input shaft
your cluster end play is probably ok as long as you can't feel any end play.
It will loosen up a little. The main shaft end play is measured after you
tie the tranny back onto the transfer.

Have you seen Rick Stivers' T90 and D18 rebuild guides on the Internet?

Take care,
Brian

4X4M38
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by 4X4M38 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Also instead of a dial indicator for the cluster use feeler gauges.

goodeboy22
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by goodeboy22 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:53 pm

Brian,

The Issue is with the small metal thrust washer that rides against the case on the small end of the cluster gear (part 640411) has a tab that should engage on a shoulder in the transmission case to prevent this washer from turning. I have been following both Rick Stivers instructions and the Novak instructions that came with the master rebuild kit. I was actually able to get ahold of Rick and talking it over we think the solution is to either braze the transmission casting back up to repair the shoulder or install a small roll pin which would act as a anti-rotator device that catches the tap of the thrust washer. I'm currently leaning to towards the installing of a roll pin. I plan on drilling and reaming the case such I could press fit in a 3/16" roll pin.

The cluster gear does have the notches to catch the other thrust washer. In talking with Rick one possible explanation of my lack of end play is the assembly lube is taking up this space as the gear did turn free which gives merit to this theory. After I repair the transmission housing I plan on doing a dry-run on the assembly specifically to measure end play. Rick notes he has seen end play less then .005" and everything works fine, so if I come close to that number I will then re-assemble with assembly lube.

Thanks and Best Regards,

David
1943 GPW

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”