DRIVERS LICENCE ROAD TEST

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

DRIVERS LICENCE ROAD TEST

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:24 pm

I drove a 1951 CJ-3A Jeep, of coarse. :wink:
It was the "test bed Jeep" that Fisher Engineering used to develop and test early Fisher Snowplow designs such as the SPEED DOZER and SPEED CAST with the patented tripping cutting edge. We were Fisher's first Snow Plow Dealer.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: DRIVERS LICENCE ROAD TEST

Post by Wolfman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:53 am

I was in a Mech. Infantry unit in Vietnam. For about the first half of my tour, I was am M-60 Machine Gunner. My unit was deployed in one of two ways. We were flown out on Hueys or went out in an M113A1 Armored Personnel Carrier. An APC.
One late evening, my squad track driver was taking a night ambush team out to drop them off and hit a 300# mine. Sent them all to Japan. Only the Top Sargent came back.
We got a new track and I was getting tired of carrying the 26 lb. wonder around so I volunteered for the drivers position and got it.
Drove all over the Central Highlands in the APC until The 4th Inf. Div. Was deactivated.
When I got back to States, I ended up at Ft Hood Tx. 2ND Armored Div. As a track driver. I had experience.
One morning, the company clerk showed up and announced, I had to go to drivers school. I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. Everybody that drove anything state side had to have a license.
When I got to the driving range. ( no golf involved ), There set a guy in an M-151 jeep in the same situation. Happened to be a tank range complete with a stepped hill the tanks practiced climbing. Conversation shortly focused on the hill and which one of us could get to the top first. Race was on.
When the instructor got back, there we both were, sitting on top of the hill, comparing notes.
When we explained to the instructor what was going on, the instructor just shook his head. Signed our paper work and said, " get out of here ! " We never took the test but got the license. I still have it in my file cabinet.
I don't remember who got to the top first. I do remember it was close.
True Story .
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”