How To Identify a WWII MBT or Bantam 1/4 Ton Trailer

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
kylerobertson
G-Civilian
Re: How To Identify a WWII MBT or Bantam 1/4 Ton Trailer

Post by kylerobertson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:36 am

Hello Chuck,

I am working on a trailer in Phoenix, Arizona. Not too much information to go on, but here's what I have:

1) Data Plate: None.
2) USA Number: Tub was sandblasted at some point, information missing.
3) ACM Number: 133361.
4) Upper Shock Mount is threaded and bolted to the frame. Lower shock mount is threaded.
5) Straight tube.
6) Springs: Eight. Not sure if the springs are flat or U shape. I have attached a photo for reference. The clips face down.
7) Taillights & Reflectors: The reflectors and taillights look to have been replaced at some point. Bolt heads are on the outside of the tub.
8 ) Taillight Mounts: Bolted to the tub.
9) No discernible numbers.
10) Bolts: No markings that I can see.
11) None.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Kyle
Attachments
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG (133.18 KiB) Viewed 7133 times

Wouter
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Wouter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:07 am

1) Data Plate:
No Data Plate
2) USA Number: Wet sand an upper corner area to see how many coats of paint are on the rear panel. Then SLOWLY wet sand right under the rear top hook to find the "USA", in doing that you will now know what to look for when you sand just above the lower frame rail looking for the eight numbers usually found on the rear panel...you may find White or Blue paint used here.
USA 0168843
3) ACM Number: American Central MFG. made the tub/frame assembly. They put a number on the gusset plate under the left front spring hanger so remove it and wire-wheel the gusset looking for numbers about 7/16" in height. You may find a "B" or "W" in front, behind or below the number.
To be Confirmed
4) Upper Shock Mount: Is it threaded or cotter-pin type? Is it RIVETED or BOLTED to the frame? Is the LOWER shock mount threaded or cotter-pin?
5) Is the axel a straight tube, with a welded seam in the middle or does it have a center cast section?
6) Springs: How many leaves in the springs? Eight or ten? Standard FLAT Willys type or a flattened "U" shape? Are the spring clips with the closure on the top or the bottom?
7) Taillights & Reflectors: What is the mfg of the taillight buckets and doors? What about the reflector bezels? Check to see if the reflectors have the bolt HEADS inside the tub. See if they have any lead washers on them.
To be confirmed
8) Taillight Mounts: Standard "L" brackets bolted to the tub or welded on?
9) Numbers: Look on the top or sides of the drawbars, check the edge of the front of the tub where the handbrake is bolted and look on the left side of the frame near the front of the trailer frame. Any numbers stamped there?
To be confirmed
10) Bolts: Check the markings (if any) on the bolt heads on the fenders or other bolts on the trailer. (A, AA, EC, BC or others or none?)
11) Unit Numbers: Most outfits did NOT mark the rear frame beneath the tub with the unit info but some did. Wet sand this area carefully also, there may be several coats of paint and several units markings!
To be Confirmed

ImageImage
Ford GPW 270404
Willys MBT USA 0168843
Bantam T3 22885
https://www.facebook.com/groups/636335026402407/

Wouter
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Wouter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:22 am

1) Data Plate: If yours is present, what is the info stamped on it? How many "fields" are available for stamping info?
info Stamped: make and model: blank
Serial Number 22885
Date of Delivery 6 29 43
Parts list XXXX - XXXX 5P - AB14
Maintenance manual XXXXXXXXXXX 5P AB-1

X is stamped over plate number (Canadian manual)

2) USA Number: Wet sand an upper corner area to see how many coats of paint are on the rear panel. Then SLOWLY wet sand right under the rear top hook to find the "USA", in doing that you will now know what to look for when you sand just above the lower frame rail looking for the eight numbers usually found on the rear panel...you may find White or Blue paint used here.
Unknown
3) ACM Number: American Central MFG. made the tub/frame assembly. They put a number on the gusset plate under the left front spring hanger so remove it and wire-wheel the gusset looking for numbers about 7/16" in height. You may find a "B" or "W" in front, behind or below the number.
To be confirmed
4) Upper Shock Mount: Is it threaded or cotter-pin type? Is it RIVETED or BOLTED to the frame? Is the LOWER shock mount threaded or cotter-pin?
5) Is the axel a straight tube, with a welded seam in the middle or does it have a center cast section?
6) Springs: How many leaves in the springs? Eight or ten? Standard FLAT Willys type or a flattened "U" shape? Are the spring clips with the closure on the top or the bottom?
7) Taillights & Reflectors: What is the mfg of the taillight buckets and doors? What about the reflector bezels? Check to see if the reflectors have the bolt HEADS inside the tub. See if they have any lead washers on them.
To be confirmed
8) Taillight Mounts: Standard "L" brackets bolted to the tub or welded on?
9) Numbers: Look on the top or sides of the drawbars, check the edge of the front of the tub where the handbrake is bolted and look on the left side of the frame near the front of the trailer frame. Any numbers stamped there?
To be confirmed
10) Bolts: Check the markings (if any) on the bolt heads on the fenders or other bolts on the trailer. (A, AA, EC, BC or others or none?)
To be confirmed
11) Unit Numbers: Most outfits did NOT mark the rear frame beneath the tub with the unit info but some did. Wet sand this area carefully also, there may be several coats of paint and several units markings!
To be Confirmed

Ford GPW 270404
Willys MBT USA 0168843
Bantam T3 22885
https://www.facebook.com/groups/636335026402407/

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:53 pm

hmmm...

The first one is a November '42 MBT but I will need the ACM to give you an estimate of the serial number.

The second one, the Bantam, is of course a Canadian Contract trailer. I would like the ACM number on this one when you get to it.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Brett M
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Brett M » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Chuck, as per your request,

Unfortunately it has spent many years exposed to the weather & Australian sun & had a bit of the rusty stuff on it & won't give up it secrets easily. It doesn't have a floor at all & a rear tail gate must of been fitted at some stage (but missing)
Please see what details we can supply below;

1) Data Plate: NIL
2) USA #: NIL
3) ACM Number: 36280
4) Upper Shock Mount: Is both threaded & drilled for a split pin as are the lower ones. Both upper mounts are bolted to the frame
5) Axel: Solid Axle.
6) Springs: How many leaves in the springs? Already ID'd as Aussie replacements by Ian.
7) Taillights & Reflectors: NIL.
8) Taillight Mounts: Not present, can see two holes in frame for bolts on each side.
9) Numbers: Drawbars NIL, Angle iron at front NIL.
10) Bolts: Majority marked BC
11) Unit Numbers: NIL

Our intention is to restore this trailer to original specs, as it would have been when sent to Australian Forces

Any assistance would be great
Thanks Brett
1942 WC-56
MkII, Shanks's Pony
MBT Restored No ACM #
43 Bantam Restored ACM # 64130
Steel Ben Hur Trailer

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:21 am

Hi Brett....

Your G-529 does fall into a sequence of Bantams in my data base that come from Ian's Aussie records and from other owners who kindly supplied their info. With that in mind I believe this estimate is really very good in terms of the Serial Number/USA and probably dead-on for the DOD.

Bantam
Serial Number........14755
DOD....................March 19, 1943
USA Number..........0262088

Can I have your last name/city/etc for my records? Also...the axle can be a smooth one or be seamed in the middle and until it is blasted the seam in some of them is hard to see....can you confirm yours is a SMOOTH tube?
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

Jerry Roark
G-Civilian

Post by Jerry Roark » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:50 am

Chuck,
I recently purchased a 1/4 Ton Trailer and wonder if you can give me some insight on it.
To answer the questions:
1. No Data Plate
2. USA # None
3. ACM # 25413
4. Upper shock mounts riveted, washer and cotter-pin, lower washer and cotter pin.
5. Axle has center casting
6. Springs 8 leaf
7. None, no weld marks, apparently bolted on
8. None on tailgate, round on sides, lenses broken
9. No other number/markings found
10.Bolts on fenders and hub covers have "A"
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank You,
Jerry Roark

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Jerry...where are you located?
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:05 am

Hi Jerry....

Your Willys MBT should have a "W" in the ACM number....it can be above, behind, before or after the actual number. Can you confirm and send me a pic of it for my records?

A reasonable estimate for your missing info would be:

Willys MBT
Serial Number.......19788
DOD...................1--43
USA Number.........0221479
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

TBowman
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by TBowman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi Mr Lutz,

I was hoping you could help me identify the manufacturer of this trailer I picked up last Spring at Tower Park. The trailer has been patched up and painted by previous owners and I believe the data plate is just a fake one added after restoration.

My goal isn’t to have a perfect trailer but would like to know if it is a Willys or Bantam and get a proper data plate and number on it. The weather is finally Spring-like so I took the opportunity to flip the trailer and find the ACM numbers today.

I appreciate any help.

answers to the questions:

1 NO Not original data plate and number is bogus (previous owner)
2 NO Trailer has been stripped and repainted (previous owner)
3 ACM # 59602
4 Upper shock mount is threaded
5 Axle is straight tube with welded seam
6 There are 8 leafs in the springs. Springs are flat with chamfered edges. Spring clips on bottom of springs
7 Tail lights and reflectors are all replacement (previous owner)
8 “L” bracket is bolted on
9 Can not find any numbers on the draw bars
10 Bolts on fenders are all replacement . no markings on other bolts
11 no markings

note: rear panel has been replaced ( looks like hinged at one time and then panel added back in)

a few pictures

Thank you

kind regards
Tim
1942 Diamond T M3A1
1944 Ford GPW-194387 DOD 4-19
1943 Willys MB-T
1942 Chevrolet G7117
1944 John Wood M3A4, S/N 26841
MVCC Member

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:42 am

PM sent
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

JBARC
G-Civilian

Post by JBARC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:58 am

Hello, I have a MBT trailer, which I believe is a Willys. It is currently at a shop being restored. They found an ACM #W26627 under the shackle and on the angle in front of the tub they found 2 series of numbers; 0219725 and 18033. Would these be the USA and Willys serial numbers? The trailer was badly rusted and had no data plate. It has C-B tail light covers. Had solid wheels when I bought it. If these possibly are the original numbers, would you be able to estimate a manufacture date? Also what would be the proper data plate for it? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

nwarcade
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by nwarcade » Sat May 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Picked up this trailer yesterday. Seems to be a foreign produced unit. Here's the rundown...
1) No Data plate or holes for one.
2) Waiting to tackle this one (Did foreign production trailers have USA numbers?)
3)No ACM number but 59847 stamped on the left outer frame rail with little symbols before and after the number.
4)Upper shock mount is threaded and bolted to the frame. Lower mount has one side with a cotter pin and the other side threaded.
5)Axle is a straight tube with no seam.
6)Eight leaves in each spring pack with the clips closing on the bottom.
7) Only one taillight is present and it's unfortunately missing the door. Reflectors are DIETZ with Stimsonite NO.12 lenses. Reflector bolt heads are inside the tub. Taillight brackets are bolted to the frame.
9) None Seen
10) Some marking seen are "218 LE" , "FM", "NOB37 - CB" Seems to be a random assortment.
11) None Seen

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Sun May 07, 2017 1:11 pm

nwarcade, your trailer appears to be a Japanese copy that has had some replacement parts tossed at it over the years. Good score :)
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu May 25, 2017 12:25 pm

Japanese copy.
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”