Willys MBT Trailer Modification

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
Raflad
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Willys MBT Trailer Modification

Post by Raflad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:51 pm

I recently purchased a MBT trailer which for the most part is pretty original. However, it does have a modification to the front. It has a conical piece welded above the original lunette, possibly to accommodate an additional lunette, to tow behind a larger vehicle? It has the remains of olive drab paint so I am assuming it was done during the war. Hopefully I am going to start restoring the trailer soon and my plan was to cut this modification off. Any thoughts, should it stay or go? I didn't take the best photos but will be with the trailer later next week if clearer images are needed.
Attachments
IMG_3294.JPG
IMG_3294.JPG (186.9 KiB) Viewed 671 times
IMG_3113.PNG
IMG_3113.PNG (197.4 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Adam Smith
GPW 80535, 11-19-42
MBT 2470, 8-42, USA #0160905

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Re: Willys MBT Trailer Modification

Post by Bill H. » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:16 am

I would look it over very carefully to insure the addition is not "holing it all together" or if removing it would damage the integrity of the trailer and if not, I'd remove it.
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:37 am

The drawbars have been butchered and you need another drawbar bracket unless that welded on stuff can be removed. The lunette appears to be OK.

Right now you need to post more/better pics to tell for sure about anything.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

fiveftsix
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by fiveftsix » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:29 pm

Way I`d go removing this would be to cut off flush with the "Tower" the two Flat bar braces either with a gass axe or a thin wheeled cutting disc grinder.
Then cut the two braces farther back so they don`t get in the way.
Be prepared when cutting those braces as they may be under a little tension so might "Spring" on the first cut.
A trick I`ve learnt is not to cut it entirely but just leave a 1/16 or so uncut then belt it with a hammer.
That way if it does "Spring" it won`t cause the grinder to jump up at you or mess up a good disc. !!
The Tower looks to be made out of 2 pieces of 2x6 U channel faced together vertically and welded to make a box.
At this point It would be a good idea to remove the Lunette Nut and Spring, as heat will damage the spring and at the same time pull out the lunette for better access.
Once the braces are out of the way either use the gass torch again or the same thin wheeled cutting disc grinder and cut round all 4 sides of the tower about an inch or so above the lunette spring, looking through the front "Keyhole" making sure your above the lunette casting .
Once that`s removed you`ll be able to see more clearly.
From the pictures it looks like the lunette casting is untouched by the way they key holed the U channel tower both back and front and the whole affair was welded to the "A" frame.
The lower plate and probably that`s both sides looks to be a reinforcing plate either side, welded to the "A" frame as to beef it up some what by making a box out of it.
With care and patience that can be all removed safely.
When cutting the welded parts close to the "A" frame cut just above the welds then use a grinding disc followed by a flap wheel disc to get back to the original metal so no damaged is caused to the original "A" bars.
The same goes for removing the remains of the 2 braces where there no doubt welded to the front trailer angle.
Geoff Bull
Last edited by fiveftsix on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Raflad

Post by Raflad » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:20 am

Thanks guys, especially Geoff. The braces are bolted to the frame, that I do remember. I'll be down there next week and will take another look but I think you nailed it Geoff on how it was put together.
Adam Smith
GPW 80535, 11-19-42
MBT 2470, 8-42, USA #0160905

fiveftsix
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by fiveftsix » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:06 am

In that case Adam unbolt those two braces first so when you do cut them by the tower they won`t spring.
Geoff Bull

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”