My Experience at the DMV

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
Post Reply
User avatar
canorisa
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:15 am
Location: Fallbrook, CA
Contact:

My Experience at the DMV

Post by canorisa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:51 am

Today I was at the DMV office for the sole purpose of registering my M416-B1. I got there early and was seen early. All the ladies who helped me were very nice and excellent. After completing filling out the paper work for the registration request I was told to take the Jeep and trailer to the inspection block. There I was met by yet another lady who knew nothing about these trailers. She asked me what kind of trailer it was and I told her it was a "home made" trailer. Never even mentioned to her that it was military. She filled out the form, got me a new registration vin number, put it in there and asked me to move the Jeep and trailer to the back and get back in the line. I did all that, got my number and waited to be called. Once at the desk another lady helped me. She typed all the info for the trailer and told me my total was $87 for the registration and title...YES, I said title. They are giving me a title for my trailer, lol. Isn't that funny.

Anyways, I was there a whopping 1.30 hours and I was done. On hand I had my temporary registration and plate and was told the title would come to me in the mail within 10 days. That was it!!!! I KNOW, SOME OF YOU MIGHT FIND THIS SHOCKING BUT IT IS TRUE. I was shocked too :roll:

I was intimidated about the whole process after reading so many horror stories but mine came out positive. If you have any questions, please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Jr

Image
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield Persian Gulf 1992
E-mail: canorisa@msn.com
1965 Steven's M416B1 - Unrestored
1967 Steven's M416 - Restored
1946 Bantam T3-C - Restored

Leo H Jankowski
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 1164
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:13 pm

Re: My Experience at the DMV

Post by Leo H Jankowski » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Just be thankful you didn't say Military. That's a bad word in Wisconsin from my experiences. Best wishes; Leo

User avatar
canorisa
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:15 am
Location: Fallbrook, CA
Contact:

Re: My Experience at the DMV

Post by canorisa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Leo H Jankowski wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:08 pm
Just be thankful you didn't say Military. That's a bad word in Wisconsin from my experiences. Best wishes; Leo
Leo: I'm just happy that I never mentioned that wonderful and confusing word the DMV truly don't know how to handle, "military". I avoided it the whole time and didn't even thinking about it while I was there. :D I have read so many stories about "military" trailers that I went ahead and said it was a "home made" and I was even offered a title. I never did ask for it but they offered it and I took it. The title itself is costing me $20 dollars which I think is pretty good.

I'm, however, disappointed that I could not register my trailer as a military 1965 Steven's M416-B1 but I avoided a lot of hardships and a very bad time with the DMV. So, I'm very happy with the outcome. I understand some people want to register their trailers for what they are and the right nomenclature but look at all the hustle they go through and in the end, some of them don't get registered. It's a real bother and a negative for the DMV but that's what it is.

Thanks for chiming in Leo. Good to hear from you!

b/r,

Jr
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield Persian Gulf 1992
E-mail: canorisa@msn.com
1965 Steven's M416B1 - Unrestored
1967 Steven's M416 - Restored
1946 Bantam T3-C - Restored

User avatar
JIMN
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 5:24 am
Location: Ohio

Re: My Experience at the DMV

Post by JIMN » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:27 am

Nice trailer!
Not sure how badly you wanted a correct title but maybe now that you have a title and can at least legally pull it around, you could go back again and try for the correct title. If it takes a while, who cares, you already have a title. Once you get the one you want, just throw the other one away, or save it for another project.

Machine
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Re: My Experience at the DMV

Post by Machine » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:43 pm

I had a similar experience here in AZ. About an hour start to finish. Lots of questions about receipts, wife just kept telling her, “I Told him to save them but he Never listens to me”. So excited! We even have the option here for a small motorcycle size plate. I was in such a hurry I said no I’ll try this first!
Ordering the smaller one now!


User avatar
199th MP
G-Major General
G-Major General
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon May 04, 1998 9:00 pm

Re: My Experience at the DMV

Post by 199th MP » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:01 am

when i went to the DMV to register my 416, i wanted to use the serial number right off the factory plate. it was only 3 digits, so they told me they didn't believe there was any such thing, and i would have to bring it in so they could see it. i kept referring to it by the name of the manufacturer. so they gave me a temp towing permit, and i went back home and got it. brought it in, same guy walked outside to look at it, says, "yeah, that's three numbers, alright". we go back in and it gets typed up and away i go with registration. title came in the mail later.

User avatar
canorisa
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:15 am
Location: Fallbrook, CA
Contact:

Re: My Experience at the DMV

Post by canorisa » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:20 am

199th MP wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:01 am
when i went to the DMV to register my 416, i wanted to use the serial number right off the factory plate. it was only 3 digits, so they told me they didn't believe there was any such thing, and i would have to bring it in so they could see it. i kept referring to it by the name of the manufacturer. so they gave me a temp towing permit, and i went back home and got it. brought it in, same guy walked outside to look at it, says, "yeah, that's three numbers, alright". we go back in and it gets typed up and away i go with registration. title came in the mail later.
199th MP...That's a really cool story you have there. If you don't mind me asking, which state do you reside in? I registered mine in Temecula, California and it was an exercise...I learned from my past experience with them that you DO NOT mention anything with "military" on it. The minute they hear that is like the tables are turned against you, so I went with the "home build" scenario. I hated doing it but it was the easiest thing to do at the time. I have since sold the trailer and the new owner, if he truly wants to, can change it at his leisure. Don't know if he is going to go through the headache of changing it on the title since it didn't have a serial number to begin with. Thanks for sharing :wink:
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield Persian Gulf 1992
E-mail: canorisa@msn.com
1965 Steven's M416B1 - Unrestored
1967 Steven's M416 - Restored
1946 Bantam T3-C - Restored

WP1
G-Captain
G-Captain
Posts: 779
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:25 am
Location: West Point NY

Re: My Experience at the DMV

Post by WP1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:45 am

Here in New Hampshire you can get a title and a registration for a refrigerator if you want to !!!!!!!!! It's that easy , takes a few minutes, Live Free or Die state removes cumbersome government and get the job done !

User avatar
199th MP
G-Major General
G-Major General
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon May 04, 1998 9:00 pm

Re: My Experience at the DMV

Post by 199th MP » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:37 pm

canorisa wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:20 am
199th MP wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:01 am
when i went to the DMV to register my 416, i wanted to use the serial number right off the factory plate. it was only 3 digits, so they told me they didn't believe there was any such thing, and i would have to bring it in so they could see it. i kept referring to it by the name of the manufacturer. so they gave me a temp towing permit, and i went back home and got it. brought it in, same guy walked outside to look at it, says, "yeah, that's three numbers, alright". we go back in and it gets typed up and away i go with registration. title came in the mail later.
199th MP...That's a really cool story you have there. If you don't mind me asking, which state do you reside in? I registered mine in Temecula, California and it was an exercise...I learned from my past experience with them that you DO NOT mention anything with "military" on it. The minute they hear that is like the tables are turned against you, so I went with the "home build" scenario. I hated doing it but it was the easiest thing to do at the time. I have since sold the trailer and the new owner, if he truly wants to, can change it at his leisure. Don't know if he is going to go through the headache of changing it on the title since it didn't have a serial number to begin with. Thanks for sharing :wink:
that all took place at the DMV on Broadway, in Sacramento, some years before i left the state. i moved away in 2014.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict
Posts: 23629
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:00 am
Location: Novato, CA

Re: My Experience at the DMV

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:19 am

The thing is, it isn't a "military" because they didn't build them, for WWII that would be Bantam, Willys or any number of the other contractors who supplied them so there is no reason to invoke anything in regard to the US Gov't or the "military". So...no need to mention that.

1) Get a LEO to verify the VIN number FIRST. For a WWII trailer I suggest you get the ACM number as that is usually six digits. When it is five digits it may also have a "B" or a "W" in it which makes it less likely to have been used.

2) Take pics of the ACM number with you when you first go into DMV.

3) In my situation, the trailer had never been registered and had no title but I had a letter from the seller stating he bought it surplus from the gov't and kept it on his farm and never on the highway and therefore had not needed to register it. He stated the original purchase documents had been lost over the years in that letter.

4) if you can get them to accept the ACM number as the VIN number then you won't get one of those blue VIN tags riveted to your trailer!

5) For those with no visible ACM number or who don't have a Data Plate to try the Serial Number as the VIN number....you may end up with a blue tag!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
GPW 108552 4/17/43 Louisville, KY. USA 20371278 (DOD est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3 4582 10/29/42 USA 0173499 (est.)

Post Reply

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests