just picked this up today

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
half_track42
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
just picked this up today

Post by half_track42 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:17 pm

Looks like an MBT to me. Draw bars are cut in half and of coarse missing the lunette and assembly. The rear had a tail gate made then welded back on. Any other places to verify the manufacture?

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: just picked this up today

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Post the answers in this thread (and some pics) from the "How to ID...." sticky I have at the top of this forum.
The ACM number and other items will give us the pedigree and mfger of this one...

Pick up a few discs for your angle grinder for cutting and grinding....and you can probably go into the "wire cutter" business with all that steel!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:49 am

Are those the tail light brackets welded on the tailgate?

half_track42
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by half_track42 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Yes they are!

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:56 pm

half_track42 wrote:Yes they are!
Wow. Can they be saved?

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:13 am

Guys, I bought this, so I'll be "taking over" this thread. I'm not sure how much activity there will be, but I DID do some intial stuff last night.

Unloading things around my house is always fun. It's easier to back into the bar ditch and block the road because there's not much traffic and my ramps are HEAVY.
Attachments
unload.JPG
unload.JPG (125.12 KiB) Viewed 2377 times

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:24 am

Chuck has been pestering me and Matt since this thing was recovered by Matt about a month ago. So I figured the first order of business was to try to fill out the questionaire and sort out his thoughts....

1-If your trailer has a data plate please list the following: no plate present, the holes and rivets are there, and it was the proper "big" WWII plate.

A-Make & Model

B-Serial Number.

C-Date of delivery

(note: I would very much appreciate a photo of your trailer and the data plate.)

2-Original registration number painted on the trailer. 0225 7?9?6? The "0225 is clear as day. The 7, 9, and 6 COULD be other numbers, but I don't think its likely.

3-Registration number currently displayed on the trailer. None The trailer has been painted, but it's pretty obvious it was a light coat over the trailer as it was surplused. So some numbers and markings can be seen under paint, along with some thick brush marks.

4-ACM number found frame gusset under left front spring hanger. 3(7?)180 I took several pictures. I can try to take more...numbers are light...I may not be successful. Tips here are appreciated.

5-List all markings found on the trailer. 4 A ?????? on upper left corner of back panel. The "USA" is partially visible, the A being very clear.

6-Identify axle as cast center, or welded middle seam on solid tube, or smooth solid tube. Appears and feels smooth solid tube. Brakes/hubs/brake cable/shocks/shock mounts all appear correct and unmolested

7-Identify shock mount type threaded shaft for nut or drilled shaft for cotter pin and upper riveted or bolted to frame. Cotter pins on top and bottom of shocks. Original rebuildable shocks, Riveted mount.

8-Identify springs by leaf count (usually 8 or 10), and clip/strap width (usually 1" or 1 1/4"), and shape of leaf (usually flat Willys or curved cross section). Curved cross section, 8 leaves, strapped

9-Identify lunette by diameter of shaft just behind the ring and the diameter of the ring stock and the ID of the ring opening. List any numbers on the lunette. Missing

10-Identify the draw bar casting by any numbers found on it. Missing

11-How is the draw bar crossmember attached? Explain? I see rivets, is that what I'm looking for?

12-Identify safety chains by number of links and sizes as well as any numbers on cast end attachment and hook. Missing, but see picture

13-Identify landing leg (swivel) casting by stop pin hole count and any numbers on it. Missing

14-Identify BO light switch by make and weather you have one or two. Mostly missing

15-Identify relectors by frame manufacturer and lens manufacturer. Also if lead washers are installed. CB X 2 on the sides, grotelite and rotelite marked lenses.

16-Identify tail lights by make and if different make on door. Identify mount bracket as bolted or welded. Missing, brackets removed and turned into tailgate handles, but quick inspection suggests bolted. No evidence of torch use.

17-Identify wheels as solid or combat. Civilian replacement, one of which is likely a 70's Jeep wagon spoke!

18-Please list any bolt head markings found. 3 removed, "A" marked.

19-Please list any modifications found which appear to have been done while in military service. ????
Attachments
IMG_6753.JPG
Anyone recognize these?
IMG_6753.JPG (119.83 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
acm.JPG
acm.JPG (89.62 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
rear panel.JPG
rear panel.JPG (87.71 KiB) Viewed 2377 times

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:27 am

...and after giving Chuck something to chew on, and blowing up his mailbox, the 1st order of new business... No more headaches. Ole Bubba really did it with this thing. It has an exo-skeleton headache rack-thing added around the box, and an extended tongue. As can be seen, it fits my 16' trailer pretty well. Since I've gotta resource new A-arms anyway to mount the pintle, IF I can get them out without buggering up Bubba's work, I may keep the extended tow bar. It's pretty well made and could come in handy.
Attachments
no more headaches.JPG
no more headaches.JPG (120.55 KiB) Viewed 2377 times

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:22 am

Luke....I see at least three or four "wire cutters" in all that scrap metal...you spend a bit of time fabbing them up and take them to a jeep meet you might have some cash for the pricey stuff it needs!

I made mine with a flat plate that goes up against the front of the bumper and another plate that goes on the back...then with four long bolts it is secure. That way it can be put on and taken off pretty easily.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:26 am

Chuck Lutz wrote:Luke....I see at least three or four "wire cutters" in all that scrap metal...you spend a bit of time fabbing them up and take them to a jeep meet you might have some cash for the pricey stuff it needs!

I made mine with a flat plate that goes up against the front of the bumper and another plate that goes on the back...then with four long bolts it is secure. That way it can be put on and taken off pretty easily.
It's almost all square and round tubing. I've never seen cutters made of that type stuff?

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:35 am

Luke, it will be a pleasure for me to let you have the copy of the SLN G529. It will take a while, but you will get it.

In case the two tail light brackets cannot be saved,and you go for the repro route, please keep me in mind: I need just the portion with the rounded notches and the holes.

The handbrake lever is a real bonus: they are scarce and expensive.

I have a couple of "wedges" for the chains, if you need them, and also a pair of those much maligned chain assemblies with the "fatty" hooks.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:20 am

lucakiki wrote:Luke, it will be a pleasure for me to let you have the copy of the SLN G529. It will take a while, but you will get it.

In case the two tail light brackets cannot be saved,and you go for the repro route, please keep me in mind: I need just the portion with the rounded notches and the holes.

The handbrake lever is a real bonus: they are scarce and expensive.

I have a couple of "wedges" for the chains, if you need them, and also a pair of those much maligned chain assemblies with the "fatty" hooks.
I will PM you. Thank you!

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:07 am

Luke, maybe you might be interested in reading this:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=175237

I read it all over again, once I found it. Very entertaining! :D

As for the "fatty hooks" there was a time when they were considered quite acceptable for a motorpool G529 trailer: I ignore if the consensus has changed.

Any way the killer for any kind of chains ( original, repro, acceptable, incorrect, etc.) is the shipping! :(

Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:21 am

Last weekend was somewhat productive and I need to update this thread. The lllooooonnnngggg tongue is gone, as is a little more of the exo-skeleton.

The tongue will go on a really really rough M416 frame to hopefully trade for wyhat I think is an M762. It doesn't have that A-frame deal that sits on the tongue, but does have remnants of the cover bows.

I also picked up a set of A-arms to use on the MBT. They'll have to be modified a little, which sucks.

Hammerhead
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hammerhead » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm

OMG! Bubba spent some time on this one!!
1943 White M-3 Halftrack, 1944 CCKW 353, 1945 MB, 1944 Bantam T3,
1945 Ben-Hur 1-ton trailer, MVPA 12610, NRA Life Member

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”