Zeph's 1943 Willys MBT Trailer

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Zeph's 1943 Willys MBT Trailer

Post by rjbeamer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Zeph that air leak at the pressure switch after shut down is a normal operation. The air leaking is the draining of the plumbing between the compressor and the tank. There is a check valve at the tank that prevents air in the tank from flowing back to the compressor when the motor is off. The dumping of the air in this line allows the compressor motor to get up to speed before any appreciable load or pressure is built up by the compressor. Some times called an unloading valve and it is built into the pressure switch.

Roger

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 am

rjbeamer wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:33 pm
Zeph that air leak at the pressure switch after shut down is a normal operation. The air leaking is the draining of the plumbing between the compressor and the tank. There is a check valve at the tank that prevents air in the tank from flowing back to the compressor when the motor is off. The dumping of the air in this line allows the compressor motor to get up to speed before any appreciable load or pressure is built up by the compressor. Some times called an unloading valve and it is built into the pressure switch.

Roger
Hi Roger,

That makes sense. I don't believe my other compressor did that. It did have a check valve which I had to replace last year. There was always air leaking from the old compressor which may have been the dumping of air. I just figured it was getting worn out.

Thanks!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by timsresort » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 pm

I was out having fun for a few days and missed when you needed an actual electrician, darn it. Thanks for the offer on blasting, and that thing would take a LOT of beer. But I just have too much going on. On the compressor, the neat set up that I have done a few times is a spring wound timer that kicks on a contactor that runs the compressor. You never touch the breaker, and the timer times out and shuts off power to the compressor so you don't hear it running in the middle of the night. Very easy to do, and eliminates the various means of trying to remember if you shut it off or not.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:42 am

timsresort wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 pm
I was out having fun for a few days and missed when you needed an actual electrician, darn it. Thanks for the offer on blasting, and that thing would take a LOT of beer. But I just have too much going on. On the compressor, the neat set up that I have done a few times is a spring wound timer that kicks on a contactor that runs the compressor. You never touch the breaker, and the timer times out and shuts off power to the compressor so you don't hear it running in the middle of the night. Very easy to do, and eliminates the various means of trying to remember if you shut it off or not.
I like the timer idea! It'll be interesting to find out if this compressor actually leaks down like the old one. That think was rather leaky... I can't detect any leaks with the the new compressor now, so that's an improvement.
Zeph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:07 am

Hmm...one more thing...where the pipe carrying the air comes into the building, you might want to consider not only a pressure gauge but a shut-off valve. We found some of those Harbor Freight air hose connectors to leak air and you might want to know how much air pressure you have at a glance when you are blasting and maybe using other air sourced tools. Its maddening to draw down pressure to the point you suspect the blaster is plugged up and it is also a good place to locate a water-letter-outer for want of another name that escapes me right now. Moisture makes the blasting media kinda funky.

Having the shut-off valve lets you bring the tank up to pressure without worrying about a few leaks draining it off until you need to use the blaster or other air-assisted tools.

Oh yeah, at Mike's, the stray and feral cats "hired" to keep the mice population at virtually zero did want to use the old blasting bead media as a litter box so a screen helps to discourage that.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:07 am
Hmm...one more thing...where the pipe carrying the air comes into the building, you might want to consider not only a pressure gauge but a shut-off valve. We found some of those Harbor Freight air hose connectors to leak air and you might want to know how much air pressure you have at a glance when you are blasting and maybe using other air sourced tools. Its maddening to draw down pressure to the point you suspect the blaster is plugged up and it is also a good place to locate a water-letter-outer for want of another name that escapes me right now. Moisture makes the blasting media kinda funky.

Having the shut-off valve lets you bring the tank up to pressure without worrying about a few leaks draining it off until you need to use the blaster or other air-assisted tools.

Oh yeah, at Mike's, the stray and feral cats "hired" to keep the mice population at virtually zero did want to use the old blasting bead media as a litter box so a screen helps to discourage that.
I have a shut off at the tank before it goes through the wall. On the other side is my water separator and pressure regulator that is always set at 90 psi. It acts as sort of a shut off if absolutely necessary.

I upgraded all my tools and my hose ends to the Milton high flow couplers. So far so good, no failures or leaks. I have noticed the airflow is much better:
Milton Hi-Flow.JPG
Milton Hi-Flow.JPG (28.95 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Zeph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:02 am

Nice set up, Zeph!
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:02 am

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:02 am
Nice set up, Zeph!
Thanks Chuck! Only took me 50 plus years to figure it out...
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Since the only real sandblaster in the area is no longer in business, I thought I would let a local place "dustless" blast the tub. I told them I was worried about flash rust, but they said they used a solution in the water to prevent that. Sounded a little sketchy, but at the time I dropped it off all I had was my old compressor and the tub was way too large a project for it. Plus, blasting in 100 degree heat isn't a lot of fun.

Anyway, I go to pick it up and it already has flash rust on it. They said, oh yeah, one can paint over that:

Then, where I am hyper sensitive about touching any blasted metal with my bear hands, they just latched onto it with their bare hands! Oh that won't be an issue. Now I have rusty hand prints all over the edges where they latched onto it with their bare hands:

Just because it is less expensive, doesn't solve the problem. Trying to determine a course of action at this point.
Zeph

timsresort

Post by timsresort » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:20 am

If you're using red oxide primer I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could also use the Eastwood after-blast metal prep. Or just touch it up with your blaster. How much did that job cost, if you don't mind?
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:14 am

timsresort wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:20 am
If you're using red oxide primer I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could also use the Eastwood after-blast metal prep. Or just touch it up with your blaster. How much did that job cost, if you don't mind?
Yes, red oxide primer. I have some Eastwood metal prep that I think I will use on the heavier flash rust spots. I guess it is somewhat common to paint primer over flash rust. I just never have.

I had the draw bars and leafs springs completed along with the tub. They originally quoted me $350 for the job, but called later and said that the bed liner material on the bottom and top of the floor as well as the insides of the bed sides was "really" difficult to remove. So, job was bumped to $500. Overall, with the five or six coats of paint on this thing, I didn't think it was too bad cost wise. I really cleaned the paint off. Only the flash rust freaks me out. lol
Zeph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Wire wheel the handprints away if possible...

This is a learning moment for others here....sand blast and prime the same day to avoid flash rust. Don't do it in high humidity (rainstorm) try to do it in summer with low humidity. If you are in an area where the humidity is high all the time, put heat lamps on it in the blast chamber prior to the wipe down of dust and the primer coat.
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:18 pm
Wire wheel the handprints away if possible...

This is a learning moment for others here....sand blast and prime the same day to avoid flash rust. Don't do it in high humidity (rainstorm) try to do it in summer with low humidity. If you are in an area where the humidity is high all the time, put heat lamps on it in the blast chamber prior to the wipe down of dust and the primer coat.
That's the frustrating thing. 110 to 115 degrees with like 7% humidity. Maybe Phoenix had a little better conditions for freshly blasted metal. I believe I learned in Kindergarten...don't touch freshly blasted metal with one's bare hands! Now, if I could only teach that to the sandblast folks which are clueless. No wonder I end up doing it myself. Once in a while I venture out for some assistance, but burned every time.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Since the sides of the trailer where the reflectors are mounted were bowed out form transporting rocks or something similar back in the day, I had to shirk up the metal to allow the the reflectors to sit flush. I only know enough to be dangerous in this endeavor, but hey, one can only learn on the job eh?

Just a bit bowed out:

Not flush like they would have been from 1943:

A bit tedious with the acetylene, hammer and dolly, but as was instructed to me from one of the members on the forum, just keep working it:

Success! The reflectors sit flush now that the metal is all shrunk up. Somewhat of a sense of accomplishment in succeeding:

Plus, had to weld close six holes in the on the upper bed sides that were exposed by the blasting:

Zeph

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 am

Very nice work! Can't wait to see it completed :D
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”