Zeph's 1943 Willys MBT Trailer

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Zeph's 1943 Willys MBT Trailer

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:56 pm

I finally have drug out my ’43 Willys MBT trailer. It needs a bit of TLC to get it back to its glory days. It has the requisite tailgate cut into it, aftermarket lights and the cast landing leg pivot was broken and didn’t have a leg. I have accumulated a few items over time, but I still need a few things like a set of tail lights, chains and a few other odds and ends like the rod that runs from the brake handle to the brake bell crank.

Although the tailgate job was done well, I want to correct that. I’m still not sure how to go about it yet. It looks like a major job. It might be easier to find a replacement panel if that is an option. I don’t know if anyone has those as I haven’t looked yet. The metal is probably not as durable as the original panels if they are available.

The trailer is in pretty decent shape, and I probably won’t go overboard getting it on the road. I want to make it as original as I can as well as make it road worthy. Here’s what I’m starting with:

Tailgate area. If they hadn’t welded on that flat stock around the perimeter of the tailgate, it would make it a lot easier to repair. I know enough to know that this looks like a lot of work to return this tailgate into what it once was. One can see the aftermarket tail lights here as well:

Here are some of the parts I have accumulated so far. I found an original lunette and had to fix up the threads, but it turned out nice. I ran across some original Warner plugs and some cable, and I found an original landing leg and brake handle. I purchased a reproduction cast landing leg pivot and tail light brackets. I also sandblasted two original combat wheels and mounted some Firestones on them, so they are good to go:

It took me a bit to remove the original pivot bolt and the threads and castellated nut were messed up in the process. I was a little bummed about that. I may need to find another set. I don’t know if they make reproductions of those. The head looks a lot thicker than a normal bolt. Still have a bit of research to do on that:

This whole unit was like a single cast piece. It was really rusted together and put up a bit of a fight:

Busted! All separated. Then I spent like an hour loosening the leg pivot pin only to see this evening on ebay that someone makes a reproduction of that! I'm thinking there is a spring in there as well. Must have rusted as a lot of rust dust came out of there. Oh well:

I need to do a little research, but if anyone has a line on a reproduction rear MBT trailer panel and a source for the large pivot bolt and castellated nut I would appreciate it. Oh, and I would like to get a set of chains. I remember looking for those sometime ago. I would like to get a set that closely resembles the originals. I believe they had a larger link at the hook and at the attachment that bolts to the trailer. Then I think there are nine chain links between those...its been a while. If anyone has a line on a set of original or reproduction chains, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Re: Zeph's 1943 Willys MBT Trailer

Post by Bill H. » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Nice! If it just has to have a tail gate this is one of the best I've seen.
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Bill H. wrote:Nice! If it just has to have a tail gate this is one of the best I've seen.
They did do a nice job. I like the sliding pins at the top to secure the tailgate. Pretty clever.
Zeph

Mark in Tucson
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Mark in Tucson » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:01 pm

Zeph,
Check with Midwest Military they have chains.
http://www.midwestmilitary.net/trailerparts.html

Me, I would leave the tailgate. Looks better then the hack job done on my M-100.
My tailgate comes in handy.

Mark

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 am

Thanks for the link Mark. Yea, it really is a nice tailgate job. I'll keep working on the balance of the trailer issues to get it back to its original state whist I ponder the tailgate dilemma. I really like the look of the original trailers without the tailgate, so I'm certain I will correct if eventually, but there is no major hurry I guess...

Regards,
Zeph

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:15 am

As talked about here before, the chains Midwest sells are NOT WWII 1/4 ton trailer chains. Not sure what they are from but they are definitely not MBT/T3 chains. They will work but with the original WWII 1/4 ton chains the links are 5/16" with flat hooks. These that Midwest sells are 3/8" links with fat round hooks.
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:26 am

I'd restore the trailer with the tail-gate for now but when you get around to it....you can use the original panel and you will either need to weld in a small strip of steel to fill the void on both sides/bottom or if you are lucky and bubba didn't use a torch...and just used a saw....you can just weld the panels back together and grind the welds flat....

That way you have the rest of the season to use the trailer this year and when/if it ever rains again....you have a project there you can do over the winter.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:37 am

Bill H. wrote:As talked about here before, the chains Midwest sells are NOT WWII 1/4 ton trailer chains. Not sure what they are from but they are definitely not MBT/T3 chains. They will work but with the original WWII 1/4 ton chains the links are 5/16" with flat hooks. These that Midwest sells are 3/8" links with fat round hooks.
Thanks Bill. I was hoping to get a set of the WWII era flat hooks with the 5/16" chain links. Does anyone know if reproductions of the WWII era safety chains are available? Originals may be tought to locate...

Regards,
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:58 am

Chuck Lutz wrote:I'd restore the trailer with the tail-gate for now but when you get around to it....you can use the original panel and you will either need to weld in a small strip of steel to fill the void on both sides/bottom or if you are lucky and bubba didn't use a torch...and just used a saw....you can just weld the panels back together and grind the welds flat....

That way you have the rest of the season to use the trailer this year and when/if it ever rains again....you have a project there you can do over the winter.
Hi Chuck,

Welding it up doesn't bother me too much. Its the amount of work to get that flat bar off that is welded/attached all the way around the tailgate. If there is one thing I know now, it is all the work (time) and damage inflicted by grinding off welded metal. It initially looked like the flat bar was welded all the way around on both sides, but it may have just been the paint. I need to really poke around and see what I'm ultimately up against. Maybe it won't be as bad as I initially thought. I just remember it being welded all the way around on the outside vs. several three inch welds on the inside portion. I still need to study it a bit more...preferably with a beer in my hand... lol

Thanks,
Zeph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:16 am

When you down to doing it...I doubt if Bubba stitched the weld around the whole piece of flat stock...usually a couple here and there would be enough to give the strength and support needed for the tailgate....normally Bubba did the minimal amount of work on this kind of job and you might find just a little here and there which can be removed easily enough.

After seeing what you did on the jeep...your skills and patience are more than enough to do this resto without replacing the whole panel. Give it a shot when the time is right and wire-wheel the flat bar stock to see if it is spot welded or a continuous seam weld or...as I suspect, just the minimum needed.

PS...if the brake drums are as pristeen as most are on these trailers....find yourself a set with no meat on them any longer or a set worn out by badly adjusted brakes and use those and save the ones off the trailer for the front end of your jeep down the road some day...trailers are a great source of brake drums and...of 8-leaf springs for an MB front end!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:31 pm

That's a great idea about saving the brake drums off the trailer Chuck. I woulda never thought of that. I have a couple of other drums that I could use to save the current drums on the trailer. Thanks for the tip!
Zeph

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:19 am

I would at least try to use the tailgate adding metal to restore the original appearance. Only real need is a skilled welder among your friends.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:42 pm

lucakiki wrote:I would at least try to use the tailgate adding metal to restore the original appearance. Only real need is a skilled welder among your friends.
My only friends are on this forum, and I will be the skilled welder. :lol:
Zeph

blitz67
G-Major
G-Major

Post by blitz67 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:58 pm

I bought a rear panel from Willys Northwest? I think that was the name, they are in Canada. Shipping and the panel cost me about $210 and it had the pipe already welded to it, excellent repro and easy to install with a simple home welder.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:53 am

blitz67 wrote:I bought a rear panel from Willys Northwest? I think that was the name, they are in Canada. Shipping and the panel cost me about $210 and it had the pipe already welded to it, excellent repro and easy to install with a simple home welder.
I think I found it. A search found Willys Acres in Canada that has an assortment of panels shown on their website. Thank you for the tip. This is probably the way to go. I remember seeing panels on another site some time ago, but they were very expensive as I recall. These seems very reasonable. Here's a little shot from their site. They also have fenders, side panels, and floors it appears (link below photo):
Willys Acres.JPG
Willys Acres.JPG (50.69 KiB) Viewed 7500 times
http://www.willysacres.com/
Zeph

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”