Noisy Top End...Help!

1959 - 1962, Mighty Mite, M422, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE, and Knowledge Base
mctnkr
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Noisy Top End...Help!

Post by mctnkr » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:36 am

Please bear with me as I think a little background info may help in diagnosis. I was asked to look at a museum Mite that ran rough and had what I though was a noisy lifter. I found that number 2 was not firing and seemed to also be the cylinder that was noisy. Compression check was good on all cylinders. Firing issue was fixed and now running on all cylinders but loud ticking from number 2 area was still present. Removed the valve cover and discovered the rocker arm shaft stud over number 2 was snapped off. Pulled the head. Valves looked good. Replaced the stud and installed 4 NOS lifters. Put it all back together and I still have what sounds to me as a noisy valve train. I have posted a short clip on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/jZXlHWittWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZXlHWittWc
You'll see I have good oil pressure, the valves are all rotating nicely so no bent stems or guides, and valve clearances are tight. So what's making all that racket? The other side of the engine is noticeably quieter.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Re: Noisy Top End...Help!

Post by Bill H. » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Check the cam lobes for flaking through the hard facing. Usually oil is spurting all over so I don't really see the good oil pressure.
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

Return to “M422 Mighty Mite”