Cylinder evaluation.

1959 - 1962, Mighty Mite, M422, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE, and Knowledge Base
lawverdict
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Cylinder evaluation.

Post by lawverdict » Tue May 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Removing the heads and cylinders from MM 2, I see three new pistons, what appear to be two new cyilnders, one newly sleeved cylinder, and what appears to be a new cylinder, but under low magnification, the cylinder walls reveal a glazing whereby the chrome lining is intact, but appears as if it were safety glass that has been cracked. Has anyone examined the cylinders and observed the same condition? Is anyone qualified to exam the cylinder to render an opinion?

Thanks,
Mike

rob w
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Cylinder evaluation.

Post by rob w » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:32 am

Mike,

I think those cracks you are seeing are inherent in the chrome plating and actually help hold the oil....as long as there are not any chips, I wouldn't be too concerned. I have seen small cracks in many chrome cylinders... You many not see them when brand new, but I think they are pretty common after usage.

Do you have any pictures you could share/post.

Rgds,

Rob

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:35 am

Rob is correct. Do they look to be lacquer checks like in old paint on a car? Totally normal. Mine had them when rebuild 19 years ago and it still runs like a top :)
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

lawverdict
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by lawverdict » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Rob,
I was having trouble posting photos from photobucket and Radar has schooled me on posting photos, so I hope to post a top end assembly/disassembly, hydraulic tappet/lifter service and finish the steering box service that I started some time ago. Thanks for the info on the cylinders.

Bill,
Yes, I am seeing glazing or spider webs under low magnification. I have inspected about seven other cylinders and none exhibit this trait.

Return to “M422 Mighty Mite”