Mite early windshield and other question

1959 - 1962, Mighty Mite, M422, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE, and Knowledge Base
2mas-
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Mite early windshield and other question

Post by 2mas- » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to rebuild my "late" style Mite windshield to an early type style windshield. Have anyone done that or have this windshield for sale ?

I also wonder if some of you Mite owners have had any trouble with the transmission, it looks like mye transmission have a little problem getting in 1. gear and in reverse it pops out, have to hold it in place when reversing the car. Do you think I have to overhaul the transmission ?

Thank you
From 2mas-

rodusmc1962
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Mite early windshield and other question

Post by rodusmc1962 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:58 am

Many of these transmissions are worn from use and abuse. As they age they can be hard to get in gear, and if in cold weather the boot can become hard and make it hard to get in gear. It depends if you can live with the problem or not. You are not alone.

lawverdict
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by lawverdict » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Popping out of first and reverse could indicate that the shift lever is contacting the body and full engagement is not achieved. This happened to my friend's mite. The service manual discusses this problem and fix, but the summary is pull the inspection cover to confirm the shift lever travel in unobstructed.

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:59 pm

OP, check your passenger side motor mount.
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

2mas-
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by 2mas- » Tue May 12, 2015 3:52 am

OK, I will check this. Anyone have an early original windshield for the Mite ? Or is it possible to make one myself ?

Jim Gilmore
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Jim Gilmore » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:14 am

2mas wrote,

"......I was wondering if it is possible to rebuild my "late" style Mite windshield to an early type style windshield....."

Which "early" windshield are you referring to? The very early one piece, the early short, or the standard that all production MM,s came with?

By "late" do you mean the replacement windshield that appears to be a M-38A1 type? (no MM's were delivered with that type)

Any Mite can be backdated to the "thin" windshield if you can find one complete with mounting brackets and braces.

Some mites that have had the replacement (thick) windshield added have holes cut in the cowl for the defroster vents and these will have to have repair patches welded in.

"...is it possible to make one myself ?..."

It is possible but you would need to be very good at fabricating and welding.

Jim Gilmore

Jim Thorpe, PA

tbuyan
G-Civilian

Post by tbuyan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:05 am

Check the rubber transmission mount. When it fails, torque reaction will cause the rear of the engine/trans/xfer case assembly will raise up when reversing.
Then the shift lever contacts the cover and shifts into neutral.

Return to “M422 Mighty Mite”