M422 Mighty Mite FOR SALE PRICE CHANGE

1959 - 1962, Mighty Mite, M422, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE, and Knowledge Base
Whiterook
US Army E6 - Army - Staff Sergeant

M422 Mighty Mite FOR SALE PRICE CHANGE

Post by Whiterook » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm posting this 1960 M422 Mighty Mite for a good friend. It's in great condition. It comes with all cold weather gear, most still in the boxes. It has complete set of fording gear, and most of it is still in the boxes. There is a complete set of Canvas with it, Top, side curtains, and doors. The milage is correct at 1006 miles. It came from a collection with only 4 miles on it, but the prior owner to my friend put the other miles on it. This M422 starts just fine and drives even better. There is no body damage, or corrosion. It also comes with a complete set of Manuals, -10, -20, and parts manual. Check this link to see pictures. I've tried to include anything you might want to see. The asking price is $15,000 If interested drop me an email and I'll give you the phone number of the owner so that you can talk with him.
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgal ... p?cat=2470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Whiterook on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WhiteRook
HELICOPTERS DON'T FLY THEY BEAT THE AIR INTO SUBMISSION!!
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgal ... p?cat=1146
1942 GPW frame #16150 Rolling Frame W/correct ACM body

B.C.
SGT/USMC
SGT/USMC

Re: Hardly Broken in M422 Mighty Mite FOR SALE

Post by B.C. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Not to rain on your friend's parade, but by the looks of the photos, somebody put in a new speedo when they did the refurbish job on it. No way that undercarriage is 1000 original miles. Also lots of O.D. overspray on the data plates.... Lots of stuff O.D. under the hood that shouldn't be... New seat covers with no snaps on the seat backs and shiny snaps on the seat bottoms... etc.

I wish your friend the best of luck!
Brian Cowdery
USMC 1968-71

ellenjerrycook
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by ellenjerrycook » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:30 pm

M422s don't have oil pressure or oil temp gauges. Where is the fuel gauge?

Whiterook

Post by Whiterook » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:22 am

Answers so far. The fuel gauge is to the left of the speedo. I posted another pic showing it. Thanks for asking. Brian, this MM was looked at by my friend in the collection before it was sold originally. It was one of 4 which had sequencial serial numbers. This one had 4 miles on it. Now what ever or where ever the second owner, between it being in storage and my friend getting it is hard to tell. When I did a frame off on my GPW it looked brand new it doesn't have 1000 miles on it yet and looks like it just came off the battle field. Only thing is I rebuilt it and the person that had this one just didn't care that it was original. It does run strong as I've driven it. As far as the canvas goes I'm having that checked out. As far as the Oil temp and pressure gauges go I'm checking on that also. Thanks for pointing them out as I'm a jeep guy this is all new to me.
WhiteRook

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:02 pm

Too many suspicious features, guages do not match, Speedometer is in crooked Light switch has overspray, does not have painted raised lettering, kinda shop worn for a "1000 mile instrument panel", Voltage Regulator is too rough looking for a 1000 mile machine, overall too shopworn for 1000 miles. The inline fuel filter doesn't do much justice for a "1000 mile vehicle", the under hood wiring is a mess, packard and Douglas connector mix. This accessment is from one short minute looking at photos, am sure seeing it in person will raise more issues.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

B.C.
SGT/USMC
SGT/USMC

Post by B.C. » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:43 am

Whiterook wrote:
Brian, this MM was looked at by my friend in the collection before it was sold originally. It was one of 4 which had sequencial serial numbers. This one had 4 miles on it.
Far too much time passed between the Marine Corps' last Mite delivery and the day they surplussed the first one (about a decade) for this to be a possibility. If your friend looked at a collection of MVs the owner could certainly have painted four sequential hood numbers on four Mites. It's a rare thing to see two Mites with even close serial numbers, so there is virtually no possibility any person could own four with sequential serial numbers. As for the four miles, there is no circumstance which would have allowed a Mite to remain virtually unused until it was sold as surplus. Believe me when I tell you that the Marine Corps used whatever equipment they had, especially in the '60s. The budget was very tight at that time.

As Ben Dover stated, there's also simply too much wrong with this Mite to support the low mileage claim.

1. It has been overpainted.
2. It has nonexistent markings (none were marked with FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY or with a Marine Corps emblem).
3. The fire extinguisher and mounting bracket are incorrect.
4. The front bumper has been heavily modified with a piece of channel iron and there are no lifting rings at the ends.
5. It has a frame for the field mod air intake screen mounted upside down over the original screen.
6. Fan shroud & cooling shroud are painted forest green instead of black, Valve covers and engine lifting brackets are painted forest green.
7. Rubber taillight gaskets are overpainted forest green.
8. The aftermarket top has a seam down the middle.

These are just a few things which point to the fact that this Mite has been redone at some time (not very well) and it is definitely not the low miler your friend thinks it is. Nothing wrong with helping him try to sell it, but be cautious about what claims you make.
Brian Cowdery
USMC 1968-71

Whiterook

Post by Whiterook » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:31 am

Brian your input is most appreciated. All that I have listed was as presented to me. Like I said I'm not a Mighty Mite person. All I can say is I was asked to post this vehicle for sale. If anyone is interested with it they can email me for the phone number of the present owner and dicker on a price. The one posted is a starting point. I know what he gave at auction and there is room to barter. With all the things you mentioned I still believe this to be a great M422 for someone to have.
WhiteRook

ellenjerrycook
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: M422 Mighty Mite FOR SALE

Post by ellenjerrycook » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:45 am

There is a M422 for sale on Craigs list at http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1886666513.html

They are asking $3500.

Austringer
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: M422 Mighty Mite FOR SALE PRICE CHANGE

Post by Austringer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:41 pm

The front bumper is a correct m422 mwo replacement.
Jason Green
Atlanta, Ga

STILL NOT associated with the Georgia MVPA 15 years and counting as long as that one guy is president of the club....

1963 Willys M151 (under resto)
1969 M706E1
1983 M106A2

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:15 pm

Austringer wrote:The front bumper is a correct m422 mwo replacement.
Replacement is the key word Jason.

This Mite is not right at all. There is way too much wrong with it to be as described. OP, not shooting the messenger so please don't take my criticism wrong. There's an old saying in the gun collecting circle, buy the gun, not the story.
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

acmack
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by acmack » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:38 pm

It's windshield is an M38A1 windshield not an M422 coldweather MWO kit windshield. The 2 indicators are 1 - wiperarms exit under the guard brackets. The mite wiper arms exit out to the side of the guards. 2 - the hood hold down catch on the top center of the windsheild - the mite has a nothing there since it is held down by a canvas strap located on the inside of the windshield. Some people will remove the incorrect catch but you can still see the open threaded holes that held the bolts for the catch or two bolts will be left in place - both being giveaways that it was a M38A1 windshield.
David
Any other spacecraft or missile owners out there?
60' M422 538
65' Apollo BP CM A-36
60' Gemini BP CM MSC312

Return to “M422 Mighty Mite”