Pops out of high range

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
Bowtie70ss
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Pops out of high range

Post by Bowtie70ss » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Why would my A5 pop out of high range? I use a small pair of vise grips to keep it in high. I really want to fix it as I feel it would turn a buyer off when I go to sell it.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Pops out of high range

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Check the High/Low shift rail poppet ball and spring, may be missing/broken spring.

Bowtie70ss
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Bowtie70ss » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:47 am

I don't have a TM, I will have to dig one up. It doest so much pop out of high range, it kind of slips out. In my experience with transmissions it is a lot more violent when it pops out

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:28 pm

It doest so much pop out of high range, it kind of slips out
That's even more reason to think it's probably the poppet ball and/or spring. See items 2, 3 & 4 below. Remove the plug (#2), use a small magnet to remove the spring (#3) and ball (#4), clean, inspect, replace if necessary. Lube with light grease. John Emery has replacement "new style" springs and poppet slugs if needed

You should be able to feel the detents when you move the shift lever from high to low range. Because the shift shaft is above the oil level in the transmission, it does not get lubed as well as it should and any moisture in the oil can condensate and cause the spring and ball to rust and stick.

Bowtie70ss
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Bowtie70ss » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Thank you so much. I have bought a bunch of stuff from John. I will check it out and report back.

Bowtie70ss
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Bowtie70ss » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Ok so i went out and took it apart. I took a spring out and was unable to retrieve any check ball. I took a pick and i swear i could feel the detent divot in the shaft but no detent ball. I need to find a mirror to try and look in there but Im pretty certain the ball was either never there or is gone somehow.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:27 pm

try a magnet
change user name to mark

Bowtie70ss
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Bowtie70ss » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:53 pm

I pulled the spring out with a magnet, tried to fish the ball out. I stuck a pick down in the hole with a magnet on the side of it. Nothing. I scratched around I think I feel the detent on the shaft. No ball that I felt, I will look with a mirror tomorrow

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:30 pm

The poppet ball can be hard to remove, I have only found one magnet small enough to go down the hole, it came in a jeweler's screwdriver set! You might try a dab of grease on the end of a rod or dowel and see if the ball will stick to it. Was there any tension on the plug when you took it loose? If the ball is there, you will have to compress the spring slightly in order to start the plug into the hole.

hummermark
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by hummermark » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi if you have something pointed a ball in there will be high in the centre and go in more towards the edge of hole,if no ball in there then low in centre high to two sides of hole.
M1030M1 JP8 diesel
2008 M1113 Humvee
Cushman 53
M10 Achilles
M274 A2 Mule
Matchless g3l
1944 WLA
M1030 KLR 650
Gpa

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Be very careful shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear without the ball and spring and plug installed. The synchronizer sleeve #3 can move too far and the shift plates #4 will pop out and you will have to open the transmission to repair. The ball has to be in there because it prevents the shift shaft from traveling too far when shifting into 2nd or 3rd. Check that the shift handle is not hitting the bed preventing full engagement into 3rd gear. Adjust the brake yoke connected to the shift shaft to give clearance or heat and bend handle.

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:13 am

My comments were strictly concerning the High-Low range shift detent ball. Charles is absolutely correct about the transmission shift detent balls, one must be extremely careful when removing them.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:54 pm

Check the Swing Arms under the bed that support the Shifting Rods. The pivot points may be frozen causing the the high range to pop out. A little heat and penetrating oil should free up the arm. Remove the cotter pin that attaches the rod to the arm so you can fully move it.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”