Mule shifting gates

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
savagebrother
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Mule shifting gates

Post by savagebrother » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:46 am

Hey guys question how do you tighten up the shift gates???? There is so much slop in mine that you can leave one gear engaged while your trying to shift to another gear. What I'm saying is their so loose that they don't block the shift lever until it's at neutral. Anyone have this problem also??? Is it a worn pivot on the lever??? Can you tighten them up by adding washers to take up the slack?? Any help would be appreciated.
SB

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Mule shifting gates

Post by Chuck W. » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:09 pm

More than likely, your gearshift lever brackets (#12 & #15) are bent. I've not had much luck trying to straighten them, most of the time, the "L" shaped piece will break loose from the shaft tube. You will be surprised how a new set will improve your shifting, give John Emery a call, (262) 567-5606

savagebrother
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by savagebrother » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:22 pm

Hey thanks. Sounds good to me, I just didn't want to buy a set and then have someone oh!! Heck you didn't have to do that just do this!!!!LOL.
I'm a first time mule owner but not a first time user. My unit in Hawaii had one and it was absolutely worth it's weight in gold. We had 42 aircraft (choppers) and it was a long way out there with a tool box and out in the field it really showed its worth. Made for a quick ride to the mess tent and lots of off-road exploring.
So to say I'm happy with my purchase would be a total understatement and it goes right along with my 1947 jeep CJ 2A
SB

rgmutchler
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by rgmutchler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:15 pm

When my shifter gets real sloppy I just tighten up the 3/4 inch nut on the steering wheel side of the stack the includes the shifters. Don't know if that is your problem or if it is more than just loose. Hope it helps.
RGMutchler
M274A5
M38

savagebrother
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by savagebrother » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Hey thanks everybody, got a new set of shift levers to put on my mule!!
SB

savagebrother
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by savagebrother » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Hey everybody, got my new shift levers installed, I did add one medium thickness washer also.
Then I installed a new fuel pump and changed the oil and new oil filter cartridge. With the new fuel pump I finally got the engine running like it should so I been running around the fields on it yeah!!!
SB

murano3
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by murano3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:02 pm

Random question, I thought you were supposed to select a gear then pull away, if you want a different gear you stop and select - no shifting through the gears like a car.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:37 pm

That's correct, if you try to slam it through the gears, you'll have problems, especially with the late A5's, excessive clearance in the synchro hub will allow the shift plates to drop out and wedge the clutch sleeve.

murano3
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by murano3 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:46 pm

I don't remember where I read that, just glad I did.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:17 pm

I shift like I do with the m151s/m38a1 --3 movements--pop it up to get out of 1st gear,a distinct horizontal movement to 2nd gear, then up to second, then down to 3rd.But right now I do have a problem after starting up the mule when I shift to 1st gear/reverse, it grinds gears so I shift to 2nd gear, then I can shift to 1st/reverse with no grinding.Maybe I better check the oil level in the transmission but it don't leak very much from oil spot but maybe it does more when driving it.
change user name to mark

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:45 pm

I would suggest that you drain the trans-axle oil and look for any of the three shift plates from the synchro in the oil or laying near the drain opening. they are steel and you can run a magnet into the drain opening to check. Generally, when this happens, the transmission is locked up in 2nd gear and is impossible to shift. Trans has to be completely dissambled to repair it.

This was described in detail, plus the procedure and tools required to measure and correct the gap, in my transmission rebuild tutorial. I had to take it down due to some errors and have not had time to re-write it and re-post it. Maybe someday!

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”