POST WAR SURPLUS JEEP FEATURES

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

POST WAR SURPLUS JEEP FEATURES

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Back in the 40s many WWII Jeeps in Civilian use were not always maintained the way the Army kept them. 6.00 X 16 Knobby tires replaced NDT's and Alcohol Antifreeze (Zerex) was installed instead of Glycol based Prestone. Those little 6 Volt rubber bladed fans that clamped to steering columns to help keep windshields clear. Wooden cabs were installed on many MB/GPW's and Grills having CJ-2A headlights were installed in order to satisfy motor vehicle laws of some states. I used to get a kick out of drivers using a match to illuminate the radiator neck to check fluid level, a lot of eyebrows got singed.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: POST WAR SURPLUS JEEP FEATURES

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:34 pm

NOS surplus tires were plentiful, not all were Goodyear, Firestone, or BF Goodrich, Armstrong, Sieberling, Kelly Springfield, General, Pennsylvania, Iroquois, US Royal, Lee, and Inland come to mind.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”