First aid kit locations

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
First aid kit locations

Post by Daren » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:47 am

Hi all, I have tried to search this but the search engine doesn't like it.
Where would the first aid kit be located on a 1942 GPW. I have seen them mounted in different places on other jeeps. My dash has no holes that tally with the mounting bracket.
Any ideas and help gratefully received
Regards
Daren
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Re: First aid kit locations

Post by Daren » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:48 am

I have seen them mounted under the dash, on the floor between the seats, on the fenders.
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

42swing
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 42swing » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:16 am

Mine is an MB, but the kit is mounted under the passenger side dash. There were holes there for it.
Malvern, PA
1942 MB 180635
1943 Willys MBT
1940 Elgin male bicycle
1940 Columbia female bicycle
1943 M3A4 Hand Cart
1943 Harley Davidson WLA with side car

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:35 am

There was no FAK on a '42 jeep from the factory...if you installed one as a "Field Mod" it still would need the dash drilled for the four bolts that hold it to the REAR of the dash panel. Or, just toss it into the tool box compartments unless they are full of tools and chains....or candy, rations, ammo, personal effects or other acquired "stuff"....
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 pm

No Coca Cola bottles in there Chuck ? :D

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm with Chuck, put the FAK any where in the jeep, just don't let it interfere with where the bottle opener should be, on the passenger's side of the dash, that would get you a letter of vehicle abuse,... if I ever saw it. :wink:
67 M-151A1

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Daren » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:13 am

I wouldn't do anything to interfere with the bottle opener, and the tool boxes will be full of candy and cornish pasties (for our American friends they are amazing, try one if you can find them).
Anyway, I love field mods as they allow you to personalise your jeep and no anorak wearing geek can moan at you for it not being authentic. I like the idea of putting it on the back of the transmission tunnel between the seats, that way it would be accessible to both driver and passenger.
Thanks
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 am

Between the seats is where you put the lower pack section of a 1944 or 1945 GI Army pack. Then you have a good place for your gloves, flashlight, water bottle, wallet, cell phone, sunglasses, regular glasses and anything else you might readily need. Tools and stuff still go in the tool boxes (duh!).

I don't think they gave you a nice warm Coke to wander off with which meant they had to scrounge the highways to find them to refill them or to make new ones...I think for the most part you got your Coke, drank it and returned it to the wooden "flat" so it could go back to the bottling plant for a refill.

We should hold a contest to see who can come up with the highest number of places on the jeep alone you can pop off the bottle cap without the use of the oh-so-popular post war resto addition of the standard two-screw reproduction Coca-Cola bottle opener you can get on Ebay.

Aside from the rugged individuals who used their teeth to open Coke bottles or those who opened beer bottles before the screw-on cap came along.

I always though mounting the FAK behind the dash and requiring some leverage to pop it loose from the bracket would have been a dumb place to mount it anyway. I suppose if you needed a Band-Aid and were in no hurry it was OK, but if you or your buddy was wounded it required you to expose yourself to enemy fire to retrieve it if you were ambushed. The tool boxes or just tossed into the rear floor under the rear seat or again...loose between the front seats made it easier to get to. I get it that it stores better behind the dash but that means it is harder to get to and more dangerous to the GI trying to get to it for his wounded buddy.

$0.02....not worth a penny more!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

gpwbob
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by gpwbob » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:55 pm

The original FAK and bracket on my jeep is on the back of the passenger seat and positioned so that the seat can be raised and lowered without interference. It doesn't seem to bother the passengers in the back, it's handy to get to, and has current and up-to-date FAK items in it.
Bob Buker
GPW 34785, 6/17/42, w/SCR-284 & BC-1000
Dodge 1944 WC-51
MBT August 1942
MVPA 12125

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Daren » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Well you could open a pop bottle on the bumpers, probably the windshield latches and maybe the safety trap eye bolts, so that's 3, but then you had a whole host of tools, knives, rifle butts, axe, shovel, etc to use so I don't think it would have been a problem opening one.
As for the FAK I guess I could just place it around in the jeep in it bracket until I find a place where I think it look "in place".
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:04 pm

I don't have crash pads in my 42 GPW, so my kit is between the passenger seat and right side panel. 2 neatly drilled holes (came with the jeep) allows me to secure it with a short length of old Manila jute twine. Visible and easily accessible. Always waiting for someone to tell me Its wrong. Always armed with a 12 oz. adult recreational beverage to discuss.
Ed
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”