Bottle openers on jeeps.

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Bottle openers on jeeps.

Post by Fabrizio » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:45 am

What about an automatic dash-fitted toilet paper dispenser? That might enhance combat-readiness also
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”
"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:51 pm

The German Army is well known for their immediate counter-attacks...so any outfit who followed up on a retreat would know to expect one and standing around a jeep with a mounted-on opener to open your Coke would probably earn you a 7.92 hello from a sniper or three....or an 88mm wake-up call. Nevertheless, Hank II and his guys go looking for a vehicle with a bottle opener mounted on it.

Meanwhile, I get my foxhole dug while they go looking for that elusive opener nobody had pics of.....until they give up and open them on the tailgate of the supply truck.

I can hear the Lieutenant now....

"Hey you guys, get your foxholes dug NOW! The Germans will be counter-attacking any minute now, they always do!"
Followed by..
"Hey you idiots, what the hell are you doing standing UP trying to open a bottle of Coke? Ain't you heard there is a war on and the German snipers are VERY experienced!"

Right then, two shots ring out and two of Hank IIs guys go down...permanently.

After reinforcements arrive and we have a chance to grab some food and shut-eye, I open MY warm bottle of Coke with MY wire-type opener and relax in the comfort of my foxhole while Graves Registration is tending to those who spent time looking for a bottle opener instead of digging a foxhole and the German snipers who staged the case of Coke on the supply truck knocked off two of his guys.

Moral of the story....don't assume that when a bottle of Coke suddently avails itself for you that there will ALWAYS be a jeep-mounted opener...especially since evidence they were used extensively in WWII and mounted on just about ALL jeeps/trucks just isn't available!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:21 pm

All, true story. I had my bottle opener forensically tested in the lab. Carbon dated. Rifling was matched to two bottle tops found in the jeep, RF floor. Swab of the area below the opener matched positive for Coke's secret formula. One empty coke bottle was located under the rear seat below the tire pump. A left partial palm print was recovered from the left side of the opener, indicating that the Openee using the opener was right-handed. (Using his left hand as a splatter shield). As I made my closing to the jury, a very distraught PFC jumped up in the back of the courtroom and yelled " Allright, allright, I did it!! I mounted the opener on the dash! I tested it! It worked! I drank the Coke." The courtroom went silent. The JAG presiding then asked, while looking straight at him: "Well, 1st Lt. Berger, I believe this Court has heard enough." I smiled to myself. Cue the music, fade to black.
By the way, sorry, the Judge did not allow cameras in his court.
Soda Pop for all my friends, on me!
Ed
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:37 am

Ed Roberts wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:21 pm
Rifling was matched to two bottle tops found in the jeep, RF floor.
Ed,
Just for clarification, does RF floor refer to Right Front floor, or Ron Fitzpatrick floor? http://www.vintagejeeps.com/p-2212-mb-g ... 71019.aspx

I can now also see Chuck Lutz side of the argument, as the Germans could use the distinctive sound of the bottle cap hitting the jeep floor as the signal to attack, in the same way they used the familiar twang of the Garand expelling it's clip to charge the GI's.
Roy

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Roy, RF referred to is right front. In no way am I going to drag Ron into this. (Unless, of course, he's selling openers). I also think Chuck is correct in that once the enemy figured out what that sound was, the savvy GI would not use it or would remove it. Hence we see so few, and so many unexplained holes in various dashboards. I'm thinking this could be a task for Indiana Jones.
Ed
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:06 am

A lot of jeeps in those ads!

Do I see bottle openers? :D
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:26 pm

While the search for the elusive photos to substantiate the claim that GIs installed Coke Bottle openers on their vehicles rages to this day....

Here we see GIs doing the same thing; they too had been told that those openers were installed on WWII jeeps so they were sent out looking for one.

Unfortunately the Coke-Bottle-On-A-Jeep hunt is basically what kids did to the new kids back in the day....they took them out at night for a "Snipe Hunt". Instead of a gunny sack like those poor kids used, in the pic below, the gunny sent them out to grab one of the openers armed with nothing more than pliers and an adjustable wrench....
Coke Bottle Quest.jpg
Coke Bottle Quest.jpg (207.12 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
Hopefully enemy soldiers looking for FANTA or Sapporo bottle openers won't get in the way....

How many Coke bottle openers can YOU spot in the photo?????
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:26 pm
How many Coke bottle openers can YOU spot in the photo?????
Clever try Chuck, but obviously the openers were removed along with the gauges and hub/drum assemblies.
Roy

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:39 am

You might be right there, Roy....

Perhaps the Coke bottle openers mounted on jeeps and on Coke dispenser in WWII were kinda like "Lend Lease" or something like all the Garands and Carbines that were returned to the US from various countries like Greece and S. Korea....They weren't GIVEN, they were lent with the caveat that they had to be repatriated to Coca-Cola in Atlanta when they were no longer of use?
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:48 pm

On a more serious side-
I am filling a coke wooden crate with original bottles and taps.....the white taps with the cork seal are quite easy to find here in France but.....anyone has an idea of how on earth on opens a coke bottle and 70+ years after the tap is still laying around in perfect conditions??
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”

HankII
G-Major
G-Major

Post by HankII » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Chuck wrote:
...the German snipers who staged the case of Coke on the supply truck knocked off two of his guys.
Chuck, that's not fair. You didn't tell us you were a screenwriter for Hogan's Heroes.
Only 2 things in life make it worth livin'
Is old Jeeps tuned good & Firm Feelin women

Silly's MB
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Silly's MB » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Fabrizio wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:48 pm
On a more serious side-
I am filling a coke wooden crate with original bottles and taps.....the white taps with the cork seal are quite easy to find here in France but.....anyone has an idea of how on earth on opens a coke bottle and 70+ years after the tap is still laying around in perfect conditions??
Hi Fabrizio,
I cant answer your question but at least you are in a better position to get original Belgian Coca Cola Bottles to put in your crate for distribution in the ETO !

The shortage of bottles was one of the many reasons coke was mainly served from fountains in a 6oz glass and not bottles.
Attachments
Belgium Coca Cola.jpg
Belgium Coca Cola.jpg (214.52 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
Limited access.
1942 August Willys MB
Complete MVMTS 100% sourced in the ETO

Empty vessels make the most noise .......

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Well my bottles will come from...the other side of the world!
They are sold from 15 to 25€ each in France, most 1945 dated, but I have a friend in new caledonia that has literally hundreds if not thousands stockpiled; a lot being early dated ones!
Heavy shipping; but I think it will still not match the 24x25€!
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”

Stingray
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Stingray » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:23 am

Found a bottle opener on a Jeep pic !
GPW-712
GPW-713

Myers
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Myers » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:58 pm

That photo was posted some time ago as an April fools. Sadly, it is being passed around as “proof” for the bottle openers.

However, there still remains absolutely zero evidence of bottle openers being installed on vehicles.
Attachments
AB4CA3F8-98B1-4F76-B28D-A9C09B1347AF.jpeg
AB4CA3F8-98B1-4F76-B28D-A9C09B1347AF.jpeg (245.51 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
1-44 Ford GPW (161784) USA 20439314, USN 87559
5-4-45 Bantam T3 (68871) USA 0948627

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”