MB 192298, is the color correct?

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
rhidalgo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

MB 192298, is the color correct?

Post by rhidalgo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:30 pm

We were extremely happy to buy this Willys MB. It came in last tuesday.
This is a vehicle that was purchased from a gentleman that has been working on it for the last 5 years.

The engine runs OK.
At first sight, I decided that the tires and the windshield are the first things to be replaced.

The to-do list is long, but the next thing that concerns me is the body color.
What do you gentlemen think about the color? Is it Olive Drab or should I invest in repainting it? It seems to me a bit yellowish.
Are the canvas color accurate? Was tan used in the cushions for 1942 jeeps?

The idea is to restore this MB as an ETO vehicle.
Attachments
Willys MB.JPG
(201.23 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
tub.JPG
(178.03 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
Best regards,
Rodrigo.
---------------------
MB 192298
Hood Number ???

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: MB 192298, is the color correct?

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:32 am

The colour looks fine to me Rodrigo, the canvas seats could be greener, but i have seen many restorations in that shade, so i wouldnt worry about it. In my opinion it would look better with bar tread tyres on it, but you have a fine looking jeep in your possession. And welcome to this site, help is always available. :D

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 am

I thought I would post a pic. of my jeep, which Iv'e been told is the correct color for you to compare colors, it's hard to say as my pic. is inside.
I painted mine in my back yard with 10 rattle can's, $80 paint job, I know it wont win any award's, but I like it, and it's just a motor-pool jeep.
You seat covers may just faded from the sun, mine are darker because they are new ??
I think your jeep look's great, you really don't have that much to do, very clean looking, your off to a really good start, good luck.
Thank's for the pic.
67 M-151A1

rhidalgo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by rhidalgo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:33 am

Mark Jesic wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:32 am
The colour looks fine to me Rodrigo, the canvas seats could be greener, but i have seen many restorations in that shade, so i wouldnt worry about it. In my opinion it would look better with bar tread tyres on it, but you have a fine looking jeep in your possession. And welcome to this site, help is always available. :D
Thank you very much Mark. I'll try to contribute to the site as I go deeper on this project.
I love the contrast tan makes olive drab, I'm probably going to keep that combination.

Thanks again for the advice.
:D
Best regards,
Rodrigo.
---------------------
MB 192298
Hood Number ???

rhidalgo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by rhidalgo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:39 am

GI. wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 am
I thought I would post a pic. of my jeep, which Iv'e been told is the correct color for you to compare colors, it's hard to say as my pic. is inside.
I painted mine in my back yard with 10 rattle can's, $80 paint job, I know it wont win any award's, but I like it, and it's just a motor-pool jeep.
You seat covers may just faded from the sun, mine are darker because they are new ??
I think your jeep look's great, you really don't have that much to do, very clean looking, your off to a really good start, good luck.
Thank's for the pic.
What a beautiful Jeep!
Congratulations GI, I hope mine would look as good as yours some day.

Thanks for the picture, I'll use it as a useful reference. Are the hood numbers 2'' tall?
Best regards,
Rodrigo.
---------------------
MB 192298
Hood Number ???

Cal.Bar
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Cal.Bar » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 am

Tough to tell from pics, but I would agree with you that it is not the right green. Yep - too much yellow in it. I'd repaint it. Not only to get the color right, but also so you have the paint to match. This way anytime you change something, get something new or scratch or ding it, you can simple hit it with the rattle can. Seat cushions also look like the wrong fabric and color. (FTIW)

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:56 am

rhidalgo wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:39 am
GI. wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 am
Thank's for the pic.
What a beautiful Jeep!
Congratulations GI, I hope mine would look as good as yours some day.

Thanks for the picture, I'll use it as a useful reference. Are the hood numbers 2'' tall?
Yes the hood numbers are 2" tall.
The paint I used was Rapco 33070 lusterless, early WW-11, olive drab.
67 M-151A1

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:50 pm

Nice jeep G.I., i also like the bicycle on the wall. You probably have the most cost effective respray ever, you may have started something here. :D

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Mark Jesic wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:50 pm
Nice jeep G.I., i also like the bicycle on the wall. You probably have the most cost effective respray ever, you may have started something here. :D
Thank's Mark,
I really like the rattle cans, when your done, just put them in the trash, you have no paint gun to clean, no air hose to roll up, no elect. cord to roll up for an air comp. and it does not take long at all, before you know it you'll be drinking a COLD BEER and admiring your work :lol: .

The bicycle is a Columbia and is a real war time bike, but not a Military bike, I found it at an antique shop a few years back, the price was $42 with a 50% off tag on it, it was winter time and I needed something to do, I took it apart and cleaned everything, all I had to buy was two tires and tubes, front light, tire pump for $13 and I made the tool bag, and I painted it with a rattle can also.
67 M-151A1

rhidalgo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by rhidalgo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:03 pm

GI. wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:48 pm
Mark Jesic wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:50 pm
Thank's Mark,
I really like the rattle cans, when your done, just put them in the trash, you have no paint gun to clean, no air hose to roll up, no elect. cord to roll up for an air comp. and it does not take long at all, before you know it you'll be drinking a COLD BEER and admiring your work :lol: .

The bicycle is a Columbia and is a real war time bike, but not a Military bike, I found it at an antique shop a few years back, the price was $42 with a 50% off tag on it, it was winter time and I needed something to do, I took it apart and cleaned everything, all I had to buy was two tires and tubes, front light, tire pump for $13 and I made the tool bag, and I painted it with a rattle can also.
I'm going to purchase a small stock of rattle cans. Hate wasting time cleaning the paint gun.
Best regards,
Rodrigo.
---------------------
MB 192298
Hood Number ???

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:34 pm

See G.I. i said you have started a new trend, sure beats cleaning everything, now about that cold beer !!! :D

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”