44WILLYS in Washington DC

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
44WILLYS in Washington DC

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Does anyone here own a 1944 Willys MB with a Washington D.C. license plate "44WILLYS"?!

I was on the campus of George Washington University, walking with my daughter and a women's basketball coach yesterday afternoon around 4:30PM or so. We were stopped at the southwest corner of 20th and G Street when I heard the unmistakable purr of a jeep from behind. I turned and saw it negotiate a perfect right hand turn right in front of us, complete with a double clutch downshift from 3rd to 2nd and back into 3rd again as the driver accelerated toward the Washington Monument. Just like that it appeared like a blast from the past out of nowhere, amidst all the contemporary busses and other vehicular traffic, and just like that, it was gone! He had a female passenger. I couldn't make out much in the way of markings etc, but I did take note of the license plate.

Dear daughter quipped, "I'm surprised you didn't run after him." :D

If you're here - nice jeep! And thank you. We were on a recruiting visit, and I took it as a very good sign!!
TEMPORARY DUTY

42swing
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: 44WILLYS in Washington DC

Post by 42swing » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:18 am

GW's a great place to go to school! Several friends kids there and at American. My daughter went to Georgetown and loved being close enough to DC to take advantage of city, but far enough out to escape.

Going back and forth from Philly to DC for those years I never saw a Jeep, but did see a Dodge WC once.
Malvern, PA
1942 MB 180635
1943 Willys MBT
1940 Elgin male bicycle
1940 Columbia female bicycle
1943 M3A4 Hand Cart
1943 Harley Davidson WLA with side car

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:21 am

Hmm, I'm intrigued as well! I live about a mile north of GWs campus but have not come across this jeep before. There is a friend of mine who has a 45 MB in the District, but his plates aren't custom. Hopefully the owner of this 44 chimes in if they are on here!

And 42, my wife just graduated from Georgetown's grad school - go Hoyas! GW is a fantastic school, too, though and Foggy Bottom is a fantastic part of the city to live in!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

42swing

Post by 42swing » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 am

Twin,

My daughter is now a third year Vet student at Tufts, but very fondly remembers her time on the Hilltop. The license plate on her VW reads "Hoyabug" which very few can figure out.
Malvern, PA
1942 MB 180635
1943 Willys MBT
1940 Elgin male bicycle
1940 Columbia female bicycle
1943 M3A4 Hand Cart
1943 Harley Davidson WLA with side car

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:32 am

Swing and twin,

Thanks for the feedback. Our son, who leaves for Korea next month, just completed his residency at Walter Reed, and we have gotten to know the city very well in the past three years. It's particularly encouraging to hear good things about living in Foggy Bottom. I still have some concerns about a city campus, but it's certainly teaming with energy and life (and good food choices! :D). Georgetown would've been terrific - but they were not recruiting her (and if you look at their roster, there is little wonder why not, I'll just leave it at that). She has some terrific options, with GW, Fordham, Davidson, and Penn probably leading the pack right now. She has some other 'basketball program' type choices, but my hunch is she'll go high-academic.

Back on subject - I, too, hope the mystery 44WILLYS owner shows up here eventually! It was a nice surprise seeing him putt-putt by!
TEMPORARY DUTY

HankII
G-Major
G-Major

Post by HankII » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:17 pm

He had a female passenger.
Chick Magnet.
Only 2 things in life make it worth livin'
Is old Jeeps tuned good & Firm Feelin women

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:53 am

Total agreement. :D

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:50 am

Wingnutt wrote:I still have some concerns about a city campus, but it's certainly teaming with energy and life (and good food choices! :D). Georgetown would've been terrific - but they were not recruiting her (and if you look at their roster, there is little wonder why not, I'll just leave it at that)
Wing,

Having went to a school in the middle of Lancaster County, PA, I can say now that would have way more preferred a city campus! Especially one like GW. Great, and safe, part of the city, which is also central to everything and (fortunately) on the opposite end of the crazy political side of the city! :lol: :lol: . Sounds like your daughter will have quite the fantastic opportunities to choose from, though. Good for her! Hope she ends up at the best place for her.

I'm going to keep my eyes posted for 44WILLYS, though. If I see him, I'll be sure to chase him down and let him know we've all been wondering who he is!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”