THE NABHOLTZ PARTS EXPERIENCE

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

THE NABHOLTZ PARTS EXPERIENCE

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:31 am

Lawrence was good at sniffing out rare goodies.
The NOS M-31C he sent me in exchange for a NOS 3/4 WC Fuel Tank was perfection, with all hardware and a NOS Cradle. He bought the mounts at a dealers who opened the kits and dumped all the pars on the ground. The place was snake infested and Lawrence would only go there a certain time of the year wearing leather boots and using a rake to help retrieve the parts. Lawrence bought a quantity of the mounts and pieced the kits back together with all the correct original period nuts , bolts, and washers.
He advertised these for around $125.00 (1974-75) He had the best of old surplus dealers in Texas-Oklahoma to go to. One was in Gladewater Texas that had filing cabinets full of the rarest MV manuals an parts we can only dream of, the place in Gladewater had an intact M-27 CCKW Bomb Service Truck that was landlocked due to the acreage of other surplus trucks that surrounded it.
Many of the places Lawrence frequented had NOS Support Level Tools and Kits and Lawrence was generous in sharing his discoveries which not only look good on display, but are very useful. He found a stash of A-1240 Jeep Jacks that were being used to support a shed. A lot of rare parts got traded and sold back and forth back then, His rare glossy 8X10 Jeep photo collection was second to none with many yet undiscovered by collectors.

We used to alternate 2 hour calls on every other Saturday or Sunday PM, he would answer with "5982" in a heavy Texas accent and we would discuss Jeeps as they used to be and his Army Ordnance experience during Korea era and of recent rare parts such as the NOS WC Bodies at a Pennsylvania Dealer and the NOS M-38A1 Bodies Fire Chief Charles Anderson from Idabel OK was buying from Bud Werner. All this was before the internet and as a result the parts would stay put for a while without the feeding frenzy of today.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: THE NABHOLTZ PARTS EXPERIENCE

Post by Warren Duchesne » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Gladewater Texas , GM Sales was where I first bought surplus . I was like a kid in a candy store. It is also where I met Brent Mullins, Mark Chapin and Dave Anwell . Great memories!

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:27 pm

Lawrence was a good source for Support Unit Shop Equipment, he sent me GI Issue Pinion Setting Gages, Low Voltage Circuit Testers, Vacuum Gauges, Toe In Gauges, Ignition Tools, Timing Light, all NOS and very handy when working on my MV's.

Lawrence Korean War Veteran, Ordnance trained, was always the gentleman, polite, with no foul language or childish name calling. Phone calls to him were answered "5982".
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Still discovering buried treasure from yesteryear from Lawrence . A Sealed Willys factory box of 20 Ea, A-6157 bolts. They clamp the clutch PedalPads to the Clutch Pedals. Willys boxed with the GPW Part No.(24426 S2) on the label.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:35 am

Found the NOS Tandem Wiper Set Lawrence sen me during early 70's, it was right on the shelf with the NOS M-38 Bumper from him.
And discovered a Parts Price List dated 1975 from Lawrence for a NOS M-38A1 Fuel Tank for $40.00.
Last edited by Joe Gopan on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks for sharing those memories. I like the shop type equipment; it's a reason I got into this hobby. A family member was an Army mechanic in WWII, and another a ship's engineer, and still another a jeep driver. So the drive to restore 'Peep' has been both to honor them, and to honor several people I was fortunate to have the privilege of calling my friend. The goal is to keep it as authentic as possible, but also to honor 'Peep's known history as one assigned to the Armored Forces. As a result, I am trying to collect the motorpool items, with the eventual goal of being able to help tell a side that is often overlooked; that of the service and maintenance that kept the wheels of victory turning.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”