Greetings from the UK

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Greetings from the UK

Post by Daren » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi all at G503, I'm Daren and I live in England in a town called Scun Thorpe (I have to write it like this because the censor on the website doesn't like the name because of the rude word in the middle). So I have just entered the world of Jeep ownership after defecting from the marquis of Land Rover. I was fed up of chasing rust on Range Rovers and Discoverys and also the slight reliability issues, so I went out and have bought a 1942 Ford GPW (script). I have always loved the WWII Jeeps ever since I was a small lad, so finally owning one has made me as happy as a pig in poop. She looked in fine fettle when I went to see her, the engine ran, it drove and stopped, the body work looked straight and all looked well, however having never worked on Jeeps I wasn't gemmed up on what to look out for when buying a Jeep, also it didn't help when it starting raining and we lost the light. So I followed my heart and not my head and bought her. My happiness, however, was short lived once I got her home and started stripping her down to discover everything that is wrong with her. The seat I knew were not original, but I didn't realise the previous owner in California, had cut the front out of the wheel boxes to make them fit. Then I realised the fuel tank wasn't original, the tank sump was like a colander covered with under seal. Then I noticed that the body sides had been very badly repaired and there was about 8mm of body filler in places to hide the welding.
I stripped the body of all filler and paint, which took a whole weekend, to find about 100 holes drilled into the tub, obviously some are meant to be ther but there are alot that aren't.
The floor needed to be replaced as it was cracked and holed, the rear cross-member had been removed and replaced with a lump of steel, not in the original position so the body was not supported at the back at all. Then I started to look at the chassis or frame. Well the shock (damper) mounts are made of plate steel, there is a section or cracked chassis near the transmission which had been badly plated, the front bumper is a girder with poorly fabricated gussets and on and on and on.
Basically I have bought a basket case, but reading alot of your stories, it would seem most Jeeps start that way no matter who you are.
So lots of work is needed, so a quick fix this is not going to be.
I will post some photos as soon as I work out how to resize my pics so they fit here.

See you around
Daren
Scun Thorpe UK
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

DannyP
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Greetings from the UK

Post by DannyP » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:19 pm

That all sounds normal! Congratulations on your new jeep. I thought Land Rovers were made of aluminum and didn't rust? Just the chassis rusted. I really want one of the series 1 Land Rovers. Someday maybe. They are as rare here as towns with names for angry women stuck in the middle.

Check out Joe's Motor Pool in Weston super mare. Hope I spelled that towns name correctly. They make really nice replacement panels and lots of other parts right in your backyard.

Good luck put up some pictures!!!
Danny
1941 Ford GP
My restoration thread viewtopic.php?f=144&t=241570

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:38 pm

G'Day Daren,
Welcome to the G, your Jeep sounds a lot like mine but that is another story, we love photos here and recently I posted one way of re-sizing photos, just click the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=266283

If you wish to see why my Jeep was like yours click this one.

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=172207
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Daren » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks guys,
here are some photos at various stages over the last month.

Let me know what you think.

Regards
Daren
Scun Thorpe UK
1942 Ford GPW
Attachments
jeepg503 3.JPG
The only serious rust that needs attention, repair panels have been purchased
jeepg503 3.JPG (35.06 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
jeepg503 2.JPG
Very poor body repair, this area had almost 10mm of filler to smooth it out
jeepg503 2.JPG (33.67 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
jeepg503 1.JPG
Wheel box fronts missing
jeepg503 1.JPG (37.75 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
jeepg503 4.JPG
Dash
jeepg503 4.JPG (38.47 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Jeepg503.JPG
As I bought her
Jeepg503.JPG (36.51 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
jeepg503 0.JPG
Rear of Jeep with huge bumper
jeepg503 0.JPG (42.5 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Mike Wright
US Army Major (Ret)
US Army Major (Ret)

Post by Mike Wright » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:55 am

Welcome to the "G" Daren :D

Sounds like you have one of the "Usual Suspects" Some things in better condition and some in worse than most all of us start with.

You'll learn lots on this site and a GREAT group of folks frequent here :!:

Again,
Welcome aboard :D

Mike
Mike Wright
SEEKING MOTOR # GPW 2636
MVPA# 4341
GPW 2636, DOD 28 FEB 42, Reg# 2055811 (est)
GPW 104331 DOD 31 MAR 43, Reg# 20369321 (est)
MB-101008 DOD 27 NOV 41, Reg# W-2032462 (Original)
MB 438075, DOD 1 MAY 45, Reg# 20704591 (Original)
Converto ABN Dump 0886168
M2-HB gun trailer

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Daren » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:58 am

DannyP wrote: I thought Land Rovers were made of aluminum and didn't rust? Just the chassis rusted. I really want one of the series 1 Land Rovers. Someday maybe
You are right about Land Rovers being made primarily of aluminium (note the correct spelling :lol: ) but I mainly had Range Rovers and Discoverys which although having some ali body panels all the inner panels are steel and rust as soon as you look at them.

The series 1 is a very special truck, good luck getting one as they are getting pretty rare here too. In the 70s and 80s they were the favourite for trialers and competition racers.
I'll check out Joes Motor pool as you suggest, I haven't come across them yet so will look with interest.

Regards
Daren
Scun Thorpe UK
1942 Ford GPW
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

chasendeer
G-Major
G-Major

Post by chasendeer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:04 pm

I will second Joes Motor Pool. They are simply the best parts on the market. Write Danny at sales@joesmotorpool.co.uk
Most importantly, have fun with her.
Jay

DannyP
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by DannyP » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Pics look great Daren! Mine was worse! I understand about the filler. I had to have two inches in places. Even your fancy aluminium riveted to attempt covering the massive holes. Millions of missing parts too. I'm getting closer to being done. Like has been said there is a ton of information on this site, and lots of very knowledgeable people to help you out. Take lots of pictures, and don't throw any old parts away. Lots of people say that, but it's true. I took hundreds of pics of mine, but I still wish I had more. I have a couple plastic tubs of junk I pulled off. More than once I have found things in there that I needed. Keep everyone posted to your work.

I've never seen a Series 1 in person. I believe they are rare. I'd probably be just as happy with a series 2. I think those are a lot more available. I drove one when I worked in Africa. Never got it stuck, but did roll it! It paled in comparison the the Unimog though.

Have a great day!
Danny
1941 Ford GP

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Daren » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Danny,
Nothing touches a umimog!
I personally prefer the series 2 and had a 1958 many years ago but it had a rover v8 under the hood. I blew 2 transmissions and a different, but she was fantastic to drive.
Does Jobs motor pool have a website?

Regards
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

DannyP
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by DannyP » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:17 am

I don't thin they do Daren. They do have a Facebook page. I know they list some parts on scootopia website? Think that's it. They make Vespa scooter parts too. It will at least give you their contact info
Danny
1941 Ford GP

jeepfinger
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jeepfinger » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:57 am

Daren wrote:Nothing touches a umimog!
Is that a 404, have a friend in Australia with one, think it may be the only one, rare there. Another friend , local , had 2 years ago. He got them from Jackson's, The Rocket Site in Bawtry.

Daren, Joe's don't have a website that works at the moment, but like Danny says they have a Facebook page. and also sell on Ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/joes-motor-pool

Regards, Dave
Dave Boocock
GPW 41158 June 19 1942
Bantam T3 9555 1/11/1943 USA 0258448
BSA WDM20 Sept 1940 C4343114

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Daren » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks guys for all the comments.
I'm looking forward to getting some proper time spent on her, lots of cutting, folding and welding, but I like that stuff.
I'll definitely try Joes Motor Pool and see what they can do for me.

Thanks
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Daren
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Daren » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:07 am

Well it's been nearly 2 years since I last posted an update, so seeing as the girlfriend is watching Strictly (uk show about ballroom dancing) I thought I would fill in the gap with a little info. Can't add photos using my phone so they will have to wait til I'm on the computer.
So the jeep is getting to the final stages and is almost ready for road test.
So far the chassis has been completely stripped down to its component parts, all rivets drilled out, section were media blasted back to bare metal and then repaired with strengthening inside chassis of areas where fractures and cracks had occurred. The chassis was then painted and re-assembled using a combination of 8.8 button head bolts and lock nuts and tack welds. I don't have the ability to hot rivet so thought this would be a sufficient compromise.
I then tackled the axles rebuilding then with all new seals, gaskets and bearings. The diff was reshimmed as one of the shims was from a Dr Pepper can. Then reassembled. Unfortunately the front axle is weeping a little as I think the halfshafts were slightly smaller in diameter so the oil seals are letting through a little oil at both ends. I'll have to keep an eye on that and maybe strip it again if the leak gets worse.
The body was in very bad shape having had some serious bodged repairs on both side at te driver, passenger seats so I cut out the bad and replaced with new metal. A new rear floor was installed and some front floor patching was carried out. I replaced all the top had sections beneath and hard wood inserts installed before tack welding into place. Oh and the front of the wheel boxes were rebuilt as they had been cut short to accommodate different seat further back. I guess previous owner was considerably taller than I am. Body was then skimmed with filler where needed and then primed and painted.
The engine and gear boxes were both stripped and rebuilt with new seals and gaskets and all internals appear to be in very good condition. I think the engine must have had a fairly recent rebuild as the cam and bottom end bearing surfaces were all perfect and showing no signs of wear. The head of the engine is a Ford head but the block is a later cj2a block with timing gears not a chain. The only wear that needed attention was the valves were lapped in a little with grinding paste as they were very slightly pitted, probably due to being run without a lead additive.
So this is where I am now, the body, wings, engine and transmission are all in place. I have run new brake lines and a new wiring loom. The jeep was 12v when I bought it so am keeping it that way. New fuel tank fitted and fuel lines. I have tried to get the car running but the fuel pump is weak and the only thing I didn't rebuild, so I am buying a kit this week and hopefully that will solve the lack of fuel problem.
I am putting in a new wiring loom and have bought new original type lights which I am hoping to convert to 12v only to find out its not a simple as just swapping the bulbs as I didn't realize the light unit is the bulb. I have desoldered the 6v bulb and looking at way to incorporate the new bulbs. I am also planning on using the blackout light as the indicator by removing the red cover inside and fitting amber led bulbs. Has anyone swapped the bulbs in these rear light units without resorting to soldering in the new bulbs?
So here we are, I think I have wasted enough of your time reading this so, if you have made it this far without falling asleep or giving up and going to read something else, I thank you, very much.
Regards
Daren
Daren
1942 Ford GPW
Scun Thorpe UK

Fortyeight2A
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Fortyeight2A » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 am

Well, it's a good read. You've done well, at least until you get some new pics posted. :D
Is it true real Jeeps have flat fenders?
Alone cannot you it resist!

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”