AUTHENTIC DO-DADS THAT MAKE GOOD CONVERSATION

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

AUTHENTIC DO-DADS THAT MAKE GOOD CONVERSATION

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:41 pm

There are little things that are inexpensive that can be added to dress up your MB/GPW. Two of these attention getters that make good conversation, and even add a bit of color, are the Tire Valve Stem Protector and the Red Octane Tag from Darcy Miller.(They are available from Ron.)
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

42swing
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: AUTHENTIC DO-DADS THAT MAKE GOOD CONVERSATION

Post by 42swing » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:11 am

We added a Coke bottle opener to our MB, drivers side rear. My daughter even made up a little poster with some history she developed off the internet. Certainly is a conversation starter once folks spot it. We found ours at a local flea market, they're not hard to find.
Malvern, PA
1942 MB 180635
1943 Willys MBT
1940 Elgin male bicycle
1940 Columbia female bicycle
1943 M3A4 Hand Cart
1943 Harley Davidson WLA with side car

Jim M
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Jim M » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:20 pm

One of these days I'm going to restore a JEEP and add many of the small details I can't use on my depot remanufactured JEEPS. I have a nice MB waiting, all I need is TIME.
Jim Mulligan

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Re: GOOD CONVERSATION

Post by lucakiki » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:22 am

Let me put things under the correct perspective: the valve mounting sleeve, which we often refer to as Valve stem protector although we know it is not the correct term, is not a dress up item.
Is a part that was present on delivery on every WWII jeep or jeep trailer combat rim wheel, obviously Painted in the same color:a part that is a must have for any jeep portraying a jeep as delivered or in WWII service.
Try skipping it on any jeepor jeep trailer entered for judging.

As for the red octane tag, there is not, to my knowledge, one picture showing it used on a jerrycan in its regular bracket.
It is plausible that one red tagged jerrycan (drum) might have exceptionally reached a jeep, but that is all one can claim.

One might be better off by displaying a fuel nozzle or a water bucket, which were undeniably present on many jeeps, and also mentioned on the TM 9-803.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:35 am

Tire Valve Stem Protector is also correctly known as "Mounting Sleeve" or "Valve Lock", and this is why they make good conversation.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:34 am

Nomenclature has never been the most important thing on g503....many items such as the "do-dads" on the tire tube valves are called by more than one name and yet most any jeeper understands what your are referring to when you use those various terms...

Another favorite one of mine is the splash shield bolted to the frame/front motor mount on the right side of the jeep. Many refer to it as the "Generator Splash Shield" when in fact it is the "Air Cleaner Splash Shield"....yet almost anyone on g503 will know what you mean using either terminology.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:50 am

And Chuck, can you explain the exact purpose of the mounting sleeve? What did the Army train their tire repairmen to do with them?

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:49 am

I missed class that day, but...since one of the problems in assembling everything is the fact that the valve stem wants to slip inside the rim when the tire tube is not inflated if you are not careful....you can certainly use the MOUNTING sleeve when MOUNTING the various components together in the field....

If a GI found the tire had gone FLAT he could grab the trusty CAP and remove a faulty (or tighten a loose) valve without the valve STEM slipping inside the rim. He has his SPARES kit and his JACK and his TIRE PUMP so he has some level of maintenance he can perform in the field himself.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 am

The mounting sleeve is used , mounting it reversed, to prevent the valve to be drawn thru the hole. Once the whole wheel assembly is assembled the way it should, one just unscrews the " bell shaped thing" and screws it back on in the definitive position.

As for that red octane tag, is there any one who has seen a war time picture of a jeep sporting a tagged can in the bracket?

P.S. I do not remember how I learned to fit a tire to a combat wheel, decades ago, but for sure it was not at any course held by some know it all in the latrines.
Luca

Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Chuck is correct, the Valve Lock, does just that, a very simple answer to a very simple Jeep part.

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:57 pm

Representing the Mounting sleeves as dress up items is a wrong concept.
Dress up items are always optional.

The mounting sleeves are a mandatory part, that is present on any WWII jeep and jeep trailer wheel,and is not a dress up item aimed at starting a conversation.

Regarding the red octane tags, they might well be a dress up item, but one can legitimately ask how plausible they are, since I have never seen a war time picture with such an item attached on a jerrycan carried on a jeep.
The octane tags have been discussed more than once on this site.

Apparently, there is no need for Army training, nor for having attended extra courses held in the latrines, for beeing able to succesfully assemble a complete jeep wheel.Worldwide.
Luca

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:08 am

The Red 80 Octane Tags and Mounting Sleeves, in addition to making excellent conversation starters, are often missing and make excellent authentic and inexpensive WWII period gifts for your friends with WWII Jeeps. Ron Fitzpatrick stocks both. I even send the Mounting Sleeves overseas as gifts of sunshine to lift the spirits of those in need.
Something else that also draws attention are the two A-3055 Caps for the fuel tank well, a Ford or Willys marked Fan belt, a WWII surplus GI Cotter Pin Kit, and Head Light Covers, they really go over well when the Jeep owner unlocks a tool box and opens the door. The Spare Tire Lock is also impressive, repro is fine, but the conversation will escalate especially when the current value of an OEM is discussed. explain the Hand Operated Wipers and lack of Heater and Side Curtains. Don't forget to open your hood and show off your primitive oil can while explaining that your WWII Jeep was a recent step up from the 1930'S horse mounted soldier in U.S. Army transportation.
You are guaranteed to draw a crowd with your presentation. :wink:

Jim M
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Jim M » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:08 pm

Mounting sleeve, I can't assemble a combat rim without one.
Jim Mulligan

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 pm

A red octane tag: why should a jerrycan on a jeep have an octane tag?

Why should one be more worried about "starting a conversation" than about having something correct on his jeep, regardless of the crowd?

It seems like Yesterday that the display of a canvas waterbucket, which is seen on many war time pictures and also mentioned on a TM was chastized by some [censored] as a case of monkey see monkey do.
Last edited by lucakiki on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luca

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:25 am

There are other inexpensive items that are carried on person or in the Jeep glove box that can also make interesting conversation such as the WWII Issue TM10-460 Driver's Manual with it's forms including the Driver's Accident Report, and Motor Vehicle Operator's Permit. (Roger Briggs, aka Roger on this site offers reprinted copies of the WWII Operator's Permit)
A P-38 GI Can Opener makes an interesting gadget to have laying in the Glove box, every GI who has ever been in the field has had one issued and many veterans still carry one on a key chain to this day, I have the first one I was issued hanging on the H-700 key Ring I use for my MV's. nothing looks more natural than the GI Steel Pot, it also makes good conversation when one explains the various uses that the GI had for them. I have good memories of the my 1st Sgt reminding the others of the nice clean shave on my bloody face during freezing weather (using cold water from the steel pot), and not so good memories of the C-Ration toilet paper that came folded in those little 7 sheet packs. :wink: The repro TL-122A Flashlights on the market also look nice in the Glove box, they are a reminder to old veterans of their visits to the supply room for a pair of "BA-30's".
The WWII Jeeps are a friendly reminder of the U.S. Army days of yesteryear and will put a smile on the faces of the many who see them up close, especially the veterans who used them. There is something magical about the memory of WWII Jeeps crisscrossing the roads of military bases in those good old days of the 40's-50's.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”