Looking for way to clean greasy parts

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
scheinerj
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Looking for way to clean greasy parts

Post by scheinerj » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:21 am

Hi all I have started my trans/transfer case disassembly --
What is the best way to properly clean everything?
Both externally and internally.

I assume I should scrape off all of the grease first.
Then do I hit it with a wire wheel? Or should I put it in my sink with some hot water and dawn? Then hit it with a wire wheel/sandblaster?

I also have 5 gallon drum of M1 racing methanol. Would that aid in the cleaning of anything?

Obviously want it to be squeaky clean before reassembly and paint.

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Looking for way to clean greasy parts

Post by 17thAirborne » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Unless you have access to a large parts cleaner with a filter, you have to hand scrape all of the grease off first. (Probably should do that any way unless you want to clog the cleaner/change filters every time you use it. I always use rubber gloves. Saves on clean up and wear and tear on your hands. And if you live in CA, you will get cancer from everything that touches your skin. I don't know why, all the labels of stuff I use say you can really contract cancer in the state of CA. Very weird. I'm in NM, so I think I'm fine. :lol:

Drain the internal fluid.

I put the item on a large drip pan 2'x3' that has been covered with some wide butcher paper to catch the falling chunks and dripping grease as I scrape with my scraper.

I scrape with a stiff putty knife to get the big chunks off first. Once that''s done you can wad up the butcher paper and you dont have so much to mess.

I use a large 40 gallon HD tree/shrub pot made out of plastic. The kind you get at the nursery with a $150 tree. I put about 1/2 gal of kerosene in in at put the large part in there and use a long toilet brush or similar item to scrub most of the rest of the grime off. I use a small set of picks or scrapers to get into the cavities, and a wire brush for the stubborn items.

I then use some brake cleaner as a final degrease. It really gets rid of the last bit on the part. DOn't sand blast races and machined surfaces as it will pit them and ruin the seal/reason why they were machined.

At that point its ready for disassembly and blasting/wire wheel. Hand clean internal parts so as not to damage them.

Any grease you leave on during the cleaning process will act as a cushion for the blaster and it will take several seconds of pin point blasting to blow it away.

Wire wheels are great!
Last edited by 17thAirborne on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:52 pm

putty knife for the stuff that would clog the wire wheel
wire wheel for the thick stuff
Brakekleen & rags where the crevices are

then Dawn and small metal tined toothbrush size brush...and let 'er soak.

If you are happy with the results, then spray it down or wipe it down with light oil to prevent flash rust

If a bead blaster is in your shop...use it BEFORE the Dawn as it will get off the old paint also.
Remember that you have to be VERY sure to rinse out the internals so no grit or metal or paint remains to destroy your bearings/bushings/gears.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

James Gordon
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by James Gordon » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Not sure if this is the c correct way to clean the grease off oil pans or cast iron items, but we burned these items in a low fire and the items clean up with a little wire brushing the ash. Well it worked for me, but these days I would not make any recommendation without the blessing of those with real knowledge. Well, this is what a skill mechanic told me years ago.

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:46 am

Machine shops in Kalifornia now use the baking method which works VERY well.

http://www.jandm-machine.com/cleaning.html

I use the "Super Purple" type cleaners available at the local parts store for most of my cleaning needs.

I have an old solvent tank that I can no longer get Stoddard safety solvent for in Kalifornia, so I use BBQ lighter fluid in it. I get it free at the local city chemical haz mat drop off place. It basically is the old school safety solvent. Make sure any petroleum solvent you use is marked combustable, not flammable like gasoline or methanol which can set fire from a spark like when you drop a steel part or toll on the concrete,
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

scheinerj
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by scheinerj » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:58 am

Awesome.
Thank you for all the tips. I will try this!
I really like the kerosine idea. And as I already have a large bucket to put it in, I will just do that.

js

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:42 pm

Kerosene is combustable not flammable so its safe with precautions.

Try the super purple/purple power cleaner after the kerosene to remove the oily film it will leave! Use a hot water rinse so the parts dry fast without rusting.

$7 a gallon at OReillys
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/purp ... turer=true
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

scheinerj
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by scheinerj » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:21 am

HI all,
I ended up taking the easy and fairly cheap route.
My local engine rebuilder put it in his cleaner for under 40 bucks.
Will post pictures when I have it back!
Definitely a good route if you don't want to take the time scrubbing.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 am

I was going to suggest the local car wash with a power sprayer...usually they have catch basins for oil and grease separation before releasing water back into the systems, or they recycle the water. spray it down with degreaser, then power wash, but now the engine shop cleaning method will make it look better.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

davidh
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by davidh » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:43 am

For old NOS parts which are full of grease and perhaps also packed in gauze or similar I have used a warm air pistol (like a hairdryer but hotter).
This gets the worst off. It just melts away. But stand whatever you are cleaning on a block of wood or something as the grease solidifies again as soon as it his the pan or ground. Then I use straight gasoline. I would not use a gas burner or a wire brush if just cleaning off gunk and goo.
DavidH

Ford GPW 35951
Ford GPW 230131 'Wyona'
www.norwegianspitfire.com

scheinerj
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by scheinerj » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Posting an update on this -
I purchased a harbor freight parts washer. I also purchased a submersible bucket heater for 40.00. This works perfectly. It heated up the water to 180 in only an hour or so. I actually have a second one I am going to pair with it if I need to heat it quickly.
This combination works awesome with the water based degreaser recommended.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”