A2 resto in London, UK

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
svramselaar
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: A2 resto in London, UK

Post by svramselaar » Tue May 16, 2017 11:34 pm

rickf

it is a stock engine only the valve seals are new
the oil is 20 W 40 5 liters for € 10.00 :D
the oil stay clean from the LPG it use a little of it
compression is good all cylinders
i use the valve treatment Flash Lube :idea:

george
1976 ? M 151 A2 AMG MUTT lost in acsedent
1978 M 416 A1 ( parkhurst ) trailer
1970 m151 A2 FORD BUDD tub
1957 Volvo sugga radio truck
M 274 mule HOME MADE MULE

Grasshopper
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Grasshopper » Fri May 26, 2017 4:10 am

jay mallari wrote:Welcome to the forum Vince. Met Mike once at the War and Peace Show when I sold him the steering wheel on your mutt.
Very nice bloke. Are you attending the show this year?

Jay
Unfortunately I probably won't be at W&P this year, apart from maybe as MOP for a day. Mike will be there though with his rather distinctive yellow Ward LaFrance (and probably my caravan!).

I'm still working through the MUTT, doing some stuff that probably always wanted doing had Mike kept it and discovered the niggles such as blow from exhaust manifold, minor oil leaks, radiator requires re-core, temperature gauge not working, side lamps no longer working, alternator not charging (probably never did). I've already had the pack out to renew the transmission seals and fit better drive yokes, which I did at Mikes. He's had the pleasure of driving it to a local show, something I haven't even managed yet!

It is impossible to drive a MUTT without wearing a large grin :D

svramselaar
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by svramselaar » Sat May 27, 2017 12:43 am

hi

if you need parts i can take them for you to the hop farm
look at Reomie https://www.reomie.com/m151/ give them a call only not on Tuesday
they are the biggest in Europe for mutt parts

you can also call http://www.truckpartstrading.nl/2011/we ... m151-parts
the sales man from Reomie this is the brother

if you let them know tad i come to collect the parts
i go there an pay the bill you can pay me back at the hop farm

greetings george
1976 ? M 151 A2 AMG MUTT lost in acsedent
1978 M 416 A1 ( parkhurst ) trailer
1970 m151 A2 FORD BUDD tub
1957 Volvo sugga radio truck
M 274 mule HOME MADE MULE

Grasshopper
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Grasshopper » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:33 am

Just an update on this particular MUTT - Having owned her since last September(?), I carried out what is likely to have been her first service since restoration (this mostly being down to a lack of use/miles and long periods of storage in the intervening time). The transmission was devoid of oil, so when I filled it I found out why as all the transmission oil fell onto the floor over the matter of about three weeks. Anyway, out with the power pack in Mikes workshop (he can't escape his old truck!)and I renewed the yoke seals, speedy sleeves and also the rear crankshaft main seal as that dripped when the engine was tipped up. Subsequently I've now found the 2x4 selector shaft seal leaks, but that's a job for a another day...

We've done 4 local shows and a parade, and she's been running worse and worse which correlates with a worsening exhaust manifold blow. I've just removed the manifold, snapped 2 studs (I had researched this procedure so was prepared for this eventuality) and now awaiting parts to re-assemble (with gaskets this time). I think one of the factors in the exhaust blow was "somebody" (Mike!) forgot to fit the securing bolt by the down-pipe, but I'll forgive him that. Still loving MUTT ownership, and I think my wife has now driven it more miles than I have! Annoyingly I can't get the garage door down if the vehicle roof is up, but at least I can get her in the garage unlike most other things I've owned. UK garages are not renowned for the size.

We also got a bit more information from the guy who sold it to Mike, and are now very certain that it is/was an ex-Israeli vehicle. I've no plans to repaint soon, although after 10 years the paintwork is looking a little tatty but some polish did bring the colour up a bit. I'm liking some pictures I saw of an M151 in Kuwaiti desert camouflage so may consider that in future.

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”