Information on limiting the downward travel to prevent rollover of M151

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
motorpool
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Information on limiting the downward travel to prevent rollover of M151

Post by motorpool » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Does anybody have any information on how to chain, strap or cable the A-frame to limit the downward travel to help prevent rollover in the M151. I saw an article by a man named Whip that had mentioned this in a book. Thank you. Would love the info.

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Information on limiting the downward travel to prevent rollover of M151

Post by Rickf » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:07 pm

The best way to prevent a rollover is to get a copy of the TM-9 2320-218-10 manual and read it.
This sounds like grandpa's advice I know but everything you need to know is in that manual. That and driving like a normal person and not a 17 year old kid that just got his license. I have been driving my A1 for 9 years and have never even come close to rolling at. And I drive it on the road at normal road speeds. I have even pushed it on sandy roads to see if it actually will roll without notice. It will not. It will roll but it will also give plenty of notice and you also have to push it a lot harder than you should be pushing an antique vehicle. And if you thing it is the tire rolling under that causes it to roll then explain why the A2's also rolled? First off, do you have the correct rear shocks on the vehicle? They are the factory suspension limiters. You can weld chain from the frame down to the control arm like they did on the FAV but I guarantee you will cut that off in a day or less!!! If you insist on driving in a manner that you need suspension limiters then get yourself some nylon limiter straps and fab up mounts for them. At least they have some give when they bottom out.

If you need that manual it is available for free download on the g838 site. http://www.g838.org/public_html/added_p ... nuals.html
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Have to agree with rick, driven with care they tend to stay in normal upright configuration, looking after bushings, worn shocks and properly inflated tires, not overloading the rear cargo area with gear will go really far in reducing rollover potential.
If you want to know the theory as to what the limiter devices do:
If you jack the jeep up off the suspension, you will see it really drops down in the rear just like VW bug used to. After raising it to the max, lower the vehicle a few inches to what you "interpret" as a safer stance, (probably about 6" of travel from rest) then measure the "A" frame to the body where you would potentially weld in or drill a limiter, this is the length of "chain" or strap device that you want to install. I recall hearing a Vet tell me 5 links of a 1" chain (3 left free floating) were used by his unit, but it really depends on where you weld those links along the length of the A frame from the distance of the pivot point as to what your travel will be. Bottom line this halts the body roll slightly, as the weight of the tire and suspension is now being forced to get lifted if the vehicle attempts to roll further. It does nothing to keep it from rolling over if you turn too sharply, it merely reduces the "surprise" factor slightly as the body now has more weight to lift in a turn.
How's it work?
- Well if you love 4 wheeling, your going to hate it, as the suspension doesn't drop into the ruts and terrain as it was originally designed to do. (But then again, no locking differentials means the MUTT wasn't the absolute best off road truck either...)
- If you only tool around on streets, you should not notice it, unless you push the turn radius on a sharp turn above 15mph, where you may feel a clunk as the chain reminds you that your pushing it. You will likely also hear an audible tinkling of the loose chain links as you bounce merely along, unless you slipped a rubber? hose or such over the chain before welding it. (threading a nylon rope through the links will help silence it as well)

1st jeep I bought was an M151A1, I asked the owner why he was selling it, he stated he was doing about 25mph in some sand and took a right turn, it rolled and crushed his leg. I immediately replaced the oversized tires, worn out shocks, fixed the brakes and removed a rollbar and a railing along the back and drove the jeep happily along.
To each his own.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm

When turning with my 151, I keep the MPH at 15, maybe 20MPH depending on how sharp the turn is.
change user name to mark

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”