M825 TOW in Beirut

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
Lucasner
G-Private
G-Private
M825 TOW in Beirut

Post by Lucasner » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks for the add, this is my first question.
I don't own a jeep, but I am an avid modeller and am working on a 1/35 scale model of an M825 TOW carrier that was in Beirut in the early 80s. I haven't found many pics online of the "TOW Mutt" in service...a handful USMC vehicles, and 2 decent shots of vehicles actually in Beirut, so I am asking a specific question about the radios carried by the Marines during that period.
Can anyone tell me what the standard radio fit would be in the 825 in Beirut? I would love a clear picture if anyone has one.
Secondly, and way more mundane question, since the jeeps were fitted with deep wading equipment, would it be normal for the exhaust to be very rusted?
Thanks...sorry for the nerdy modelling questions...
Dave

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: M825 TOW in Beirut

Post by Rickf » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Don't know if these pics will help, they almost look like models themselves. I am still looking for some from Pleiku, Vietnam that were brand new at the time. Ah, I just had to scroll down, they are all in that same thread.

http://www.g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t ... +TOW#p4086
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Lucasner
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Lucasner » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks, yeah I have those. I've searched every combination I can think of..

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:17 am

I own a former Marine TOW jeep that I've put the whole system back together (Big model) notice my avatar?
The radio is a manpacked PRC-77 dropped in a AM-2060 mount put on a vehicle specific tray mount assembly behind the drivers seat.
Why a PRC-77 and not a VRC-46?
The 77 dismounts along with the dismounted TOW and vehicle goes into hide or resupply run.

The exhaust was frequently painted, so no it would not be rust colored. The inner pipe may discolor the paint, but by the time it got to the upper rear it wasn't hot enough to burn through multiple coats of brushed on paint (that I have ever noticed).

Radio antenna is tied down beside drivers door with a C clip at the cowling during firing.
Windshield was removed (by 82d ABN) as the glass would get broken a lot... If kept (USMC), folded down most of the time.
Shovel on right front fender
Fire Ext on top rear of left front fender
One or Two jump seats on rear fenders depending on crew desires, in later years USMC made a big box on the right rear fender which had a flat angled bar to keep ??? a custom daysight box??? or some such stowed. Night sight with angled end of box is stowed between front seat and tripod mount.

Now the TOW carrier has a PRC in a manpack configuration if they ran in a pair of vehicles (I'm restoring a carrier too)
Spare TOW battery mounts in between front seat on that one, nothing too special except clip on racks for 7 missiles across behind the front seats.

V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Lucasner
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Lucasner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:59 pm

EXACTLY the info I am looking for!

Do you have any photos of ur jeep? Good pics of the mounts for all the special boxes/radios would be fantastic!

Thanks,
Dave

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:00 pm

I'd have to remove some stuff it's buried under, but if you PM me your e-mail I may be able to photo the mount area for you.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”