Powerpack removal question

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
steveperryman
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Powerpack removal question

Post by steveperryman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 am

Ok, I am stuck. The clutch support bar that going into the block is interfering with me removing the pack. I have tried to remove the bar with a crowbar, even using my atv to try to pull it out using a tow rope (rope broke)

Does anyone have an idea how to remove the block with the bar installed? Or is there a way to remove it while it is in the motor, I have it suspended with an engine lift right now.

here is a link the the photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rwKWzGsN6Q9Mjc8a2

thanks guys!

-Steve

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
Re: Powerpack removal question

Post by markrdje » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 am

disconnect the clutch rod from z tube, clutch lever, lift the engine up to free it from motor mounts(watch the z tube so not to bend/break anything), pry/move engine away from the clutch compponets( the z tube, the part you are trying to disconect), on one end is a steel ball with half moon bushings that will fall out when you move the z tube.both ends are inserted into a hole
I try to find a posting for you to read/ maybe you have a TM? I hope I explained good enough
Maybe go to youtube for a video,I know there was an Army training film on 'm151 power pack removal'
change user name to mark

steveperryman
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by steveperryman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks, I have lifted the engine a few inches off the mounts, I have removed the Z-tube from the end housing, with the 2 bolts, the problem is, I cant get the z-tube out of the engine block, and I cant get the clutch rod that attaches to the z tube to come off...

-Steve

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:35 pm

That clutch rod just goes into a hole, did you take the return spring off? With the spring off the clutch rod should pop right off and with the two bolts out of the frame side the Z-bar should come out of the engine. Ok, looking at the pictures it appears that the clutch rod going into the clutch is disconnected. It also looks like the frame bracket is off. I assume the rod that will not come off is the one that goes into the pedal? This is also just in a hole, you may need to spray it down real good with Kroil or blaster and it may have a groove worn in it. You have to set the engine down and work that out before twisting things up. Worse comes to worse take the rod off at the pedal end. And spray the bushings at the engine side of the Z-bar with Kroil as well. If you disconnect the rod at the pedal you might be able to rotate the Z-bar enough to get the rod through the firewall and then take the engine out with it all on there and work on it on the floor.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

steveperryman
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by steveperryman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Rick, thank you... I replaced the master cylinder and I thought it couldn't get any worst!

To clarify, this is the z bar that goes directly into the motor block that I cant get out

The z bar doesn't have anything holding it in right now, its likely worn like you mentioned and lodged in the hole in the block. I am planning on replacing the whole power-pack, I have tried lifting the motor and angling it to get it out, and no go... I have also twisted the rod 180 degrees to (1) try to loosen it and (2) try to remove the motor with the z bar still in it.

At this point, I might cut the bar and have it welded after, or just buy another one on eBay, they are about $40 or so. It might be worth the $40 for this aggravation.

Any other thoughts?

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:48 pm

The Z-bar is held in the engine with nothing more than the force from the outer bracket that you have already removed, that and the fricton of the outside of the nylon bushings that it rides in. Those bushing should slide out of the block but I can see they are pretty dry and rusted in. Can you wiggle that rod in the Z-bar coming out from the clutch pedal? If it moves at all then it should just pop out of there. I will bet there is a groove in the rod and it is hung on the hole. Try moving the rod back towards the firewall while moving the bare forward and see if the rod will come out then. I would actually GET the new one first before cutting the old one. A1 and A2 z-bars are different.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 pm

Another thing you can try is get a block of wood between the engine block and the Z-bar and pry against the lower end of the piece that comes up for the clutch rod. While holding pressure against it hit the Z-bar with a medium hammer and the the pressure and shock may break those bushings loose.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

steveperryman
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by steveperryman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Ok, I've tried a similar method, wood block, against engine, crowbar, swear words... I'll try the hammer idea.

Steve

steveperryman
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by steveperryman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:38 pm

I got it. I got the bugger out... I just needed a bigger hammer! Ha ha. I worked it more and more side to side and one edge of the bushing popped out, I lubed it up good, kept working at it, moving the motor up and down to give different clearances, and then it popped right out!

Thanks for your help! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions and problems soon!

Steve

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”