My '44 Willys MB

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
macaddict23
G-Major General
G-Major General
Re: My '44 Willys MB

Post by macaddict23 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:38 pm

horrocks wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:54 am
All I see is missing press studs.
Are you talking about the missing holes for the canvas door snaps? If so, I believe the missing holes are also signs of a repop tub.

Awhile back, I saw an MD Juan reproduction tub with their manufacture numbers stamped along the top edge of the cowl. Somewhere in the red area:
Attachments
CowlLip.png
CowlLip.png (91.79 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
"Originality . . . It just needs to be what it is."

Geromino3509
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Geromino3509 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm

macaddict23 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:32 pm
Under the tub, next to the steering box is the driver-side toeboard gusset (big triangular support piece).

Is there a number stamped on the front?

I'm not seeing any number on the gusset guys. It doesn't take much away from it for me but it does appear to have a repro tub on it. I would guess that hell-fire is correct and it's an older restoration with a repro body.
1944 Willys MB, DoD 12-7-44
Able Nation 3/509

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:08 pm

Hello,

Great looking jeep !!
The tub may also be a French Military WOF body.
They didn't have the snap holes on the entry areas for the half door canvas.

Look at the upper left firewall, near where the fuel filter is mounted , to see if the is an "H" number stamped there.
"H" stands for Hotchkiss, with a body serial number.

Again, you have a beautiful jeep there !

Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Hello again,

As I am looking at your pictures it could possibly be a French return jeep ?
It may have been a VLTT jeep.
The data plates may have been added from a parts jeep.
The frame data plate was screwed on, and the other hole has a broken off peg in it from the original plate there.
My french VLTT has that plate removed by them, but the broken off tag pins are still there like yours.
Also, it appears that the vertical beams to the left and right of seating areas, may look like a french pattern, and also look like you
have a hole drilled in passenger side upper edge that, on French jeeps, a radio suppression wire goes through, that is drilled lower than
they are on an ACM type body.

Now I may just be seeing things :D

But you do appear to have the notch in center top of dash cowl that is a ACM feature.
But it could be a body that was rebuilt by the French, out of US and WOF body parts, or a reproduction replacement , but it is a very nice jeep !!!!

Post a few more pictures, as I am sure they are enjoyed by all !

Best Regards,

Ray

Geromino3509
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Geromino3509 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi gents,

I've been trying to dig around the Jeep and check out all your suggestions on tub numbers/Hotchkiss/repro and such. I did a little more research on the M201 vs. MB differences and the only one that I found that isn't for the MB side is that my springs seem to definitively be off an M201. I have 10 leaves in the front and 11 in the rear, with the clamps crimped on the bottom the same as the pictures I saw. So that was interesting! But otherwise the frame and all else checked out for being MB.

As for numbers on the tub, here is a picture of all that I could find. I assume this is a repro production number? But couldn't find much more info.

It says "9107-240" and is stamped on the driver's side firewall behind the horn.
1944 Willys MB, DoD 12-7-44
Able Nation 3/509

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello Geronimo,
I have not seen numbers like that before, as my Hotchkiss number is on the upper left passenger fire wall.
I am sure someone may know what that number is, if it is an early WOF number, (Willys of France, pre-Hotchkiss) or an MD Juan body.
Mr. Juan is on this forum and maybe someone can contact him and ask.
He would be a great source to confirm, if this was a body from his great company, made by a WW2 Allied Nation, the Philippines .
I am not aware of other manufacturers, but have also heard that there " may" have been a German company,
that MAY have built them, as they did also build Ben Hur trailers, and CCKW bodies for replacements.
Some other German company also built half-track tracks.

Looking forward to more detective work on your great jeep !

Ray

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”