Those Life Pictures.

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
Captain John
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Those Life Pictures.

Post by Captain John » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:47 am

Don't fret too much as you view those pics . You have to ask yourself why did the USA go to all that trouble to find and ship all these jeeps back to Okinawa . They could just have been left where they stood or gifted to the local inhabitants /governments . I was at sea for 40 years and often on the West African coast we loaded and discharged whilst at anchor offshore . On even a flat calm sea ships gently roll and when using the cargo booms the load swings and often hits the ships side . This did not harm cocoa bags but could seriously dent a vehicle !!! Looking at the damaged jeeps in the pics they have typical ship loading/discharge damage .It was the end of the war so the ships crew maybe was not as attentive as it should have been "get the ship loaded and lets get out of here and go home !!!" The ships used would have been LCTS and Liberty ships with steam winches using the ships booms anchored off an island with no port facilities . The Soviet Union and the West no longer were best buddies and China was stirring no USA government was going to junk valuable assets such as the jeep . I bet most went on to Japan to be rebuilt and then on to friendly governments such as the Phillipinesor even Europe etc etc . At that time the free world was car starved and the jeep filled so many roles .I would like a jeep owner to see his original hood number on a Okinawa jeep !!!

Captain John in sunny Spring Suffolk County England .

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Those Life Pictures.

Post by Ralph » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Captain John
Thanks for an interesting perspective.At sea 40 years.Now I understand why you sign off of a post with a weather report.Still standing a watch...
Ralph

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”