My first Ford Gpw

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

My first Ford Gpw

Post by dfast » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi all, would like to present you one more survivor, Gpw.
It's already in family from early 70' but nobody had enough time for assembling, because it was already bought in parts. Second one MB, bought in same time, was used basically for hunting and other daily jobs around until is sold in early 90'.
Nowadays, most of parts are easier available, so we decide to make this old soldier complete.
Body is Gpw without Ford stamp on rear back panel. Also there are flat covers on rear toolboxes. Frame is standard Gpw with ford stamps around and stamped front cross member. This jeep was probably repaired before, because I found a lot of holes filled with welder. Also, after reparation it was involved in some traffic accident in front which was damaged front part of frame. Any way, there was no big issues it can be easily repaired.
Here are some photos,

Frame after sandblasting, CJ3b in background waiting for new clutch,

Ford,

Bended front cross member,

Master cylinder was literally pulled out,

Rear end reinforcement, on road probably,

Frame number appear after sandblasting but there is no gpw prefix and has star after number. Maybe someone can explain this better.

Body number become visible after sandblasting but I am not sure about second number, is it 5,6, or 8, this letter style is different from numbers on frame

Body after sandblasting, it will be some work on floor and under the fuel tank. I will not put any filler after welding, just primer and paint. I want all scars visible...

Work in progress
Cheers
Last edited by dfast on Wed May 23, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
GPW 268625 45' with MB tub
CJ3B 1969 ex Army
Restoration viewtopic.php?f=136&t=240027

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Re: My first Ford Gpw

Post by dfast » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Finished frame rear end, with drilled extra holes for reinforcement I already ordered in local machine shop. I had to remove 12 rivets and upper weld on back plate to remove rear bumper.

I got reinforcement plates but finally I was in doubt to install them or not, to keep things original or not.

I decided to install them. I will not weld them to the frame so it will be possible to remove them if it's necessary. At the moment everything is bolted until I find someone who is fast in riveting.

Rear end is finished, and strong enough.

With front part I had a lot of troubles to make it straight. Front cross member was bent, It's still not 100% but it's acceptable. I will see result of this when I put frame on wheels. Front bumper is CJ version, but it's stronger, there is no need for wood inside.

I got rest of the parts from sand blasting shop, found ford stamp only on driver seat.

Ford,

I am a bit impatient to start with assembling :-)

Cheers !
Last edited by dfast on Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:08 pm

A few things were done today.

Rear springs mounted. Springs painted in primer, will be painted in OD later.

For front ones I have to wait for new spring brackets, one is worn, one bent.

In meantime I spayed clean parts and find F script on grill. :)

This transmission should be checked soon. All body parts were in same or similar condition before cleaning or sand blasting.

Cleaned latest plate, it was rebuild in march 52' , ... 62 years ago. First one with just R letter?

Broken transfer case gear shift housing :(

Last edited by dfast on Tue May 22, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

1/321FA
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 1/321FA » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:13 pm

You're really moving along with that one. I was the same way with my replica/tribute/clone jeep.
101ST Airborne B 1/321FA 76-78. 1st Armoured Divison B 2/78FA 78-80

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 pm

Thanks for reply,
Yes it's going step by step, there is no any pattern in this. I just started actually, but sometimes I have to wait for parts or just find some unpredictable issues. I suppose it's always like that, in every restoration.

I open gearbox top cover but, top plate is missing, and condition is not great. Fortunately nothing is stuck, it's moving freely but it's dry. There is some sign on side wall but I couldn't see properly. I have to detach gearbox from transfer case first.

Transfer case was dry, back plate was open for a years, find a nest inside :) . Except from that it's moving freely.

Front and rear axles before painting, opened to check condition. Fortunately everything was fine, no free playing inside, all teeth are in place. I installed new oil seal rings on propeller shafts, change the oil and that's it.

Here are some pictures before and after painting:

Body,

Propeller shafts,

This ponies will be placed on frame, French one WOF.

To be continued...
Last edited by dfast on Tue May 22, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:00 am

I disassembled transmission today.
Stamping on transmission, I think week and year.

Transfer case was not so bad, one roller bearing is out and probably thrust washers should be replaced. Gears, big bearings are ok.

But transmission is separate story, first worst things,
Countershaft was without thrust washers and washer (fully milled), so there was a lot or playing. Reverse gear is out, few teeth are bent, and counter gear should be replaced. Input shaft bearing has got hit from back, I have no idea how.

I am also not sure about case, can be used again with new thrust washers or not, you can see it on pictures. One side is more les ok but ... on opposite is quite big groove.

Any advice about case is more than welcome.

Regards
Last edited by dfast on Tue May 22, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Still working on it :) , I will try to solve problem with transmission case with liquid metal filler and then machining to proper measures. Otherwise I have to find other one. So, parts are packed on shelf, until new parts arrived and I made myself busy with other things.

I installed master cylinder and just try how it looks like with pedals :) . I didn't expect problem with bolts, but most of bolts in my shelf are with metrics threads.

Joints are cleaned, only one is OM, but the rest are still good.

Wheel bearings cleaned and greased again.

Last edited by dfast on Tue May 22, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

Steve H
G-Private
G-Private
Location: No longer at 1st Armoured Regiment- now in Melbourne!

Post by Steve H » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Looks good so far. I'm about to head down a similar road myself so interesting to see others "methods" and problems encountered.

1/321FA

Post by 1/321FA » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:38 pm

As far as the transmission case is concerned, if it is like the CJ2A than those gouged areas have a steel washer the butts against the case and then a thrust washer. The other end is a thrust washer with steel on one side and brass on the other. I just dressed up the surface of the transmission to make is smooth without removing the gouges and put things together.

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks for replies,
I think all those "restorations" are similar, just depending how much money and time you are able to spent, and what kind result you want at the end. Tolerances in manual are clear... so there was no another way around.
About transmission case, I am not sure it will be so simple, just placing new washers between gears. I will first measure free playing of countershaft gears with washers just to have needed height and then apply filler. It should be 0.004 - 0.016inch of free playing. I will see...

Finally I finished axles, there was a lot of work actually.
Before I start with this assembling I heard stories like it's easy, simple...nothing complicated. But comparing to modern cars, nothing about jeep is easy, it takes more time, shims, adjusting and actually most of things depending of your personal sense for mechanics. With modern cars everything is more less bolted, tighten and that's it, there is no place for mistake. With jeep is different, it is logical, but things should be align properly or tighten properly, otherwise it will not last so long or work at all.
I installed new sector shaft with bushings in steering housing. But with new bushings it was not possible to place shaft inside (good repro parts), so sandpaper and sanding...
I didn't made new photos yet, but as I said axles are complete now, steering housing is on frame and connected to wheels. Tomorrow I will put wheels on axles, just to move frame outside because of painting in OD.

Some new parts were arrived,

Some of them are Nos parts but I am not sure is it smart to install 60+ year old leather seal rings :?: even if it's just taken out of wax.

I bought this filler in attempt to save transmission case :D .

Cheers!
Last edited by dfast on Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

huskerjeep
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by huskerjeep » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:28 am

I believe your transmission case date is January 24, 1945.

A=January
B=February
C=March
Etc....etc...
Early March 1944 MB 313xxx

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:38 am

Thank you for info husker,

Frame is out and on the wheels :D

First I sprayed in gray primer, but I have to wait 6h for next layer of paint. So, OD will be tomorrow probably.

It is quite good for motivation when you look this on wheels :)

Cheers!
Last edited by dfast on Tue May 22, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

1/321FA

Post by 1/321FA » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Great work. At this rate you should be done tomorrow. :D

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:22 pm

:D Tomorrow is usually after tomorrow,
OD finally!!! :D

I hope work around jeep will be cleaner from now. It was a enough dust and scrapings around, so I put on place tools and parts and arranging garage a bit, which is always good for continuation of work.
Frame painting was also very tricky, it takes time to cover all small areas on frame, springs, axles... Yesterday I got piece of metal in my hand. Trying to fix radiator mount, it was a bit bended, and pressing it by hammer to hammer small spark was finished 5mm under my skin. Not so painful in first instance but a lot of blood around :o But, that is kind of work :) .

One more week and I am finished with my vacation, I will try to do as much as possible, so we will see...

Regards
Last edited by dfast on Tue May 22, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:09 am

Hello all,

Basically, frame with all elements is complete. I planed to install engine, but without transmission it's not good idea. Brakes are installed, dot4 oil is inside to prevent corrosion, and can wait until my next vacation :) . New grease is filled in steering elements and knuckles , oil in steering housing... and after all new oil seals floor is dry :) . Shock absorbs are also installed, all new, so it looks quite good.

Old paint is striped from engine, new OD is painted.

There was few days left of my vacation so I decide to start playing with younger brother of gpw.
Previous "dentist" didn't do his work properly so it's finally time to start striping that "work". He just put new sheets over old original plates.
Maybe it can be interesting for viewing.

OD under,

Here you can see double metal sheets. Plan is to weld rear panel like on mb or gpw. Reason is spare wheel position, also fixed jerrycan and military look. Originally spare wheel was on right side.

That should be all for now, in meantime I will try to make gear box complete, an radiator should be checked. It's standing still already for long time.

Reagrds
Dfast
Last edited by dfast on Tue May 22, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ3B 1969 ex Army

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”