Wis. Motor Veh. Registration Rights Act

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Wis. Motor Veh. Registration Rights Act

Post by undysworld » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am

We've just learned that the "effective date" for the newly passed 2011 Wis. Act 235 will be July 2, 2012.

This means that beginning July 2, all pre-'70 (Oct. 1, 1969) former military vehicle, U.S. & foreign, may register for normal registration options. This includes all weight vehicles.
(As always, a title or SF-97 is required, and as always, compliance with Wis. Equip. standards is a condition of operation. Just like civilian vehicles, Fed. Motor Carrier Safety Admin. rules apply to larger commercially used vehicles.)

Also remember that currently, ANY former U.S. military vehicle under 10,000 GVW may register for regular registration regardless of year, and regardless if there is a certification label.

We will be meeting with DOT this summer, to address vehicles over 10,000# gvw which are 1970 or newer. We'll keep you posted as this moves forward.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:15 am

This is great!
I hope to get to Wisconsin sometime but if you get to Kansas first. The steak dinner is waiting!
Thanks
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

Dave K.
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Dave K. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:38 pm

So help me out here--what exactly was gained? Per the WISDMV site:

Historic military vehicle use is restricted
Historic military vehicle registration allows operation only to and from special occasions, such as parades and show events and for regular maintenance. Military vehicles are seldom manufactured to meet federal motor vehicle standards and do not have federal certification labels, so they must display the HMV plate and registration for legal operation. The operator of an HMV must have a valid regular driver license; some HMVs may also require the operator to have a valid commercial driver license. The operator must follow all traffic laws.

So we get to putter to events and little else?

If the vehicle is equipped with turn signals and seat belts can they then be operated under collector plates? The HMV plate seems useless if you want to enjoy your vehicle for a Sunday cruise or risk having some ex-MP turned local stormtrooper stop you all the time (experience folks).

Is it any wonder many in the MV hobby here in WI are still planning on getting out of it--including myself.

Dave K.
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Dave K. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Oh, and I found the specific reference to the DUKW, Hummer, M715 and Pinzgauer on the collector plate application disappointing. Whatever.......

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:01 am

The rules are not hard to follow, my insurance policy also parallels the DMV rules.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:03 am

Jesu$ Dave, where have you been? Under a rock? If you were unaware of things in Wis. over the past few years, you've got a lot of catching up to do.

Beginning in '07, WisDOT began canceling license plates and titles on ex-mil vehicles such as my Pinzgauer. I took 'em to appeals court, and won. Then they disobeyed the court's ruling. So I went to my Senator and bitched. After much wrangling, he introduced a bill to solve things, but DOT still fought us. The "specific reference to DUKW, etc..." was what came out of that fight, and gave us extra privileges. But DOT's efforts there created the HMV plate, the one which restricts all other former military vehicles to parade and car shows. Thank two collectors here for backing that dog of a bill. (I will refrain from naming both.)

In '11, Tom Zat (owner of Alfa Heaven) and I went to work to repeal DOT's law. We did it. We repealed WisDOT's law. As a result, ALL FORMER MILITARY VEHICLES UNDER 10K gvw can once again register as you wish. That means you can get annual renewal plates, Farm plates if you're a farmer, Collector plates if the vehicle is over 20 yrs. old and not modified, Hobbyist plates if it's over 20 and IS modified, OR HMV IF YOU WISH, for your former military vehicle.

We are currently working on another bill which will give even extra rights to owners of Former Military Vehicles licensed as HMV, including the right to occasional personal use, storage of parts vehicles, and more, PLUS it stops DOT from denying registration if the vehicle doesn't have a label on the door, and allows minor modifications to vehicles registered as Collector. This bill has passed both Public Hearings in the Legislature, and we anticipate a vote on it within the coming month.

Here's a link to our webpage with info on it. It's a bit out of date, but things are just beginning to stir after this summer's wrangling over the budget. http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html

Please don't give up on collecting vehicles in Wisconsin just yet. With the anticipated passage of this bill, Wisconsin will become the most collector-friendly state in the nation, IMHO. We need your support. If you want to receive our email notices directly, please pm me with your regular email address and I'll add you to our list.

Any questions, please write!!

Regards,
Paul Underwood
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Legislative Issues”