Wisconsin News - M-880s Are OK!

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Wisconsin News - M-880s Are OK!

Post by undysworld » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Breaking News!

Due to the efforts of a local fellow, WisDOT will now (grudgingly) issue standard Truck plates to Dodge M-880 pickups. This is an internal change, and does not reflect any change in Wis. law. In fact, inquiries to DMV may not reflect the change. Please contact me directly for info on obtaining a valid unrestricted-use title/license. I will refer you to the guy who's spearheading this effort. He prefers to not reply by internet.

Collectors may still opt to choose the new Historic Military Vehicle registration. It's much cheaper, but it does restrict the use of the vehicle to parades or display functions.

But for those of you who wish to use your trucks for utility functions, please consider this newest option.

Paul Underwood
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Txjake
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Wisconsin News - M-880s Are OK!

Post by Txjake » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:44 am

Now this is a refreshing bit of common sense application of law! Well done. What of CUCVs?
Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies..

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:53 am

Please bear with me and correct me, if I'm wrong here. I make no claims to know the model designations thoroughly. It's my understanding that the Dodge M880 is a CUCV. ??

Other civi-based exmils are being pursued.

I'll update this as I find out info on it.

Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:39 am

Paul,
The CUCV was GMs military vehicle that followed Dodge Trucks M880s.
Kevin
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:32 am

CUCV, Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle.
I think the Dodges fit the definition.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:34 am

Well, I'll be. I never knew what CUCV stood for. I also found this in wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial ... go_Vehicle

According to that, both the Chevy and Dodges would be called CUCVs.

At any rate, from what I'm hearing, the Dodge M-880s are the only version of CUCV which WisDOT is reluctantly now licensing as "truck" plates (as opposed to the new "Historic Military Vehicle" plates).

Again, this is not meant to in any way disrespect the HMV plates. It's just nice for folks to have another option.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Txjake
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Txjake » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:52 am

To my knowledge the M880s series preceded the term CUCV (M1008/M1009) so I just assumed that it would be understood that way. I was referring to the 1008/1009, commonly grouped together and called the CUCV.
Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies..

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Txjake wrote:To my knowledge the M880s series preceded the term CUCV (M1008/M1009) so I just assumed that it would be understood that way. I was referring to the 1008/1009, commonly grouped together and called the CUCV.
While I'm not arguing with you, there's still some of these old trucks and blazers out in the service of country, and we lump the term CUCV to include all the COTS stuff, dodge truck, chevy truck, blazer. You get the idea, and that isn't just coming from someone who wasn't in service when they were new, that's from folks who remembered them being new, and say the same thing.

creinemann
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

TRANS 123 update dead or changed?

Post by creinemann » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:49 am

have you seen this post regarding Trans 123?

News Update: February 26, 2011
ANTI OLD VEHICLE LEGISLATION IS STILL IN THE WORKS

Submitted by Curt Rymkus

I have been in contact with the Legislative Laison from the Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles.

I received an email posted as “REGARDING REGISTRATION OF NONSTANDARD VEHICLES” from the Legislative Laison. The email states, “in absence of Trans 123, the Departments current process for reviewing title and registration applications for certain HOBBYIST VEHICLES has a number of shortcomings. It requires great deal of case by case involvement by DMV staff, and places a lot of discretion in the hands of department personnel. The rules are not sufficiently available or transparent to citizens. THE DEPARTMENT NEEDS TO REMEDY THIS SITUATION”.

Although Trans 123 has been withdrawn, the typically acceptable method for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation “TO REMEDY A SITUATION” is thru new legislation or create a new administrative rule.

the full text is here http://www.wisconsinhotrodradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carl Reinemann
Wisconsin
Military Radio Pages at

https://usradioguy.com/wwii-radio/

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:58 am

Carl,

Thanks for posting that link. I've been working quite closely with Curt, as well as Tom Zat from Alfa Heaven, towards resolving some of the lingering issues that DMV still seems to have. Essentially, DMV is still hassling a lot of people. We want to change that.

Trans-123 is officially withdrawn. For good. But DOT still has an agenda they're pursuing, and many owners still have problems pending.

Some of those problems involve civilian vehicles, including hot-rods and modified vehicles. But they also include folks attempting to register ex-military vehicles for uses other than parade/display uses allowed under the new HMV registration. We are acting as one group, but supporting efforts toward resolving both group's problems. They are all what DOT is now calling "NONSTANDARD" vehicles.

We're not trying to change the HMV law (the one which only allows parade/display functions). I know Catman (Jeff) has plans to modify that law in the future. For you "collectors" out there, that law remains unchanged.

But we are pushing DMV to allow normal registration options (like: Auto, Truck, Farm, Collector, etc.) for ex-military vehicles which met U.S. safety standards when they were manufactured, ie. the Dodge and Chevy pickups and SUV's, and all ex-military vehicles built before 9/31/69. Tom has delivered his argument to WisDOT, and we're currently awaiting DOT's reply.

Please stay tuned. This one ain't over yet...

Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Return to “Legislative Issues”