9/22/10 Public Hearing for NEW TRANS-123

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: 9/22/10 Public Hearing for NEW TRANS-123

Post by undysworld » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:54 am

The Public Hearing was held yesterday. I didn't notice any G members there, but I hope you guys at least wrote in.

DOT's Carson Frazier was there, spouting more of her dubious "Facts". Yesterday, she claimed that both Iowa and Minnesota do not allow foreign vehicles which were imported over 25 years old (and therefore exempted from FMVSS) to be registered. Sen. Grothman called those states and found out that she lied.

WHAT A SHOCK!!

Here's what Sen. Grothman wrote:

At the hearing yesterday (9-22-10) the WI Department of Motor Vehicles one more time showed the state of Wisconsin government at its worst. DMV thought that the cars in question would be illegal in Minnesota and Iowa. We have confirmed this is not so. Indeed the DMV cannot for certain name one other state in which these cars would be illegal. They led off presenting a chart showing a nationwide reduction in traffic fatalities but were unable to show one fatality caused by the motor vehicles they are trying to ban today.

As an aside, many of these cars are owned by businesses and community leaders. The behavior of the DMV just furthers the attitude that Wisconsin is an anti-freedom, anti-business state.

I will encourage the committee chairs to take a vote suspending this rule and ultimately, I feel we will win on this issue. However, it is frustrating that under our civil service rules the DMV bureaucrats responsible for this will keep their jobs and continue to boss around the citizens of Wisconsin unnecessarily in other ways.

Sincerely,

Glenn Grothman
State Senator
20th Senate District

Please read his last sentence carefully. It is brilliant. Keep up the efforts everyone.

Regards,
Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:18 am

Paul,
Thanks for the update. This Senator needs to be recognized as a friend to vintage motor vehicles.
Kevin Lockwood
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Hmmmm, is it documented that a public official Lied to a governmental hearing? Can that be proven? Was that person under oath? I would think that would be an interesting item to run past a government ombudsman/prosecutor/whatever. Some one who has jurisdiction on state government and hearings. I am no expert, but I am sure I would be in trouble if I lied at such a hearing. Just my 2 cents worth.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:50 am

Kevin,

You are correct. Sen. Glenn Grothman has proven himself to be a big supporter of our rights. (He's not my Senator, so I've got no horse in this race.) Those of you who are in his district would do well to remember him.

My Senator, Sen. Jon Erpenbach, and my Assembly Rep., Sondy Pope-Roberts also played a huge part in getting the "Pinzgauer" law passed. They all deserve to be recognized for their support of our hobby.

Old Dodge,

The DOT rep was Carson Frazier, and no, she was not under oath. Basically, a committee member asked her whether nearby states honored the federal exemption from FMVSS which applies to foreign vehicles imported over 25 years old. Carson stated "Iowa and Minnesota". Well, I know of at least one guy in MInneapolis who owns a Pinzgauer, which was imported via that exemption. One committee member's staff went and called those 2 states. They reported that Carson was incorrect. Did she lie? Well, if it looks like a duck, and smells like a duck, and sounds like a duck... Yes, she lied. You're right, she darn-well ought to be in trouble, IMHO.

But don't just take my word for it. Watch it for yourself: http://www.wiseye.org/wisEye_programmin ... .html#4074 Select "09.22.10 | Joint Committee on Transportation, Tourism, and Natural Resources" at that site.

Carson speaks first, and the committee members just aren't buying her story. See what prompted Sen. Grothman's comments. This is educational viewing.

Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Word today from the Capitol is that the Senate committee is passing a ballot around to vote on sending Trans-123 back to DOT. This was apparently the agreement reached by the Committee chairs and DOT, and essentially tables Trans-123 again. Rep. Steinbrink's office staff indicated that they expect the issue to be taken up next year by the legislature, to try and resolve it with a statutory change (like should have been done originally).

(In Wis., only one committee need act on this. The Senate is able to act via a ballot, unlike the Assy. Doing this by ballot allows them to take action without having to reconvene the committee for an executive session for a vote.)

However, if/when Trans-123 is reintroduced, the committees will only have 10 days within which to act.

Confused yet? Sometimes I think that is the goal. I'll post info when it becomes available.

Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:29 pm

undysworld wrote:Confused yet? Sometimes I think that is the goal.
A common finding when dealing with politicians, lawyers, and engineers.
They have to try to confuse you over the simplest of things, to justify their expensive college education.

The Hearing's video would be funny if it didn't affect peoples' legitimate property.
To hear the allegation that the 'said' vehicles didn't comply with NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) FMVSS(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), while repeatedly stating that "Homemade Vehicles" were protected sounds so oxymoronic.
If anything sounds unsafe by its title, it would have to be: "Homemade Vehicle". My brain conjures up images of some guy building a car out of galvanized pipe and 1/4" plywood.
Roy

Txjake
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Txjake » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 am

The one thing I want to know, is what is the deal with the DMV in Wisonsin? Have they been co-opted by nut cases? If for no other reason than economics, they should be stopped by any WI legislator. The issue: TAX REVENUE. Each vehicle titled and registered pays a tax at that time. When operated on state roads, they pay gas taxes and road toll fees. They also contribute to ordinary sales tax, as the owner purchases parts, tires, services etc. This is insane :evil:
Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies..

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:54 am

Agreed.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Congratulations to Paul Underwood and his confederates!!!! If my information is correct Trans-123 is dead!!! WisDOT suffers another defeat at the hands of determined vintage vehicle owners.
I just hope we can take back the highways in Wisconsin for our MVs!
Kevin Lockwood
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks Kevin. Yeah, we got 'em. Many thanks are also due to Curt Rymkus, one of this state's "old guard" in the fight for the hot-rodders and modified guys. Wish him a happy birthday too, yesterday he turned 70. 8)

Please check my next post coming up soon. We're not done yet...

Regards,
Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Return to “Legislative Issues”