Hummer titling

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
Thomas Romine
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Hummer titling

Post by Thomas Romine » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:34 am

This is the whole class of vehicle. If a vehicle has been titled for years and the owner has documentation to prove it you may be able to keep your road title. Otherwise the State of Michigan will only issue an ORV title.

Tom

Sent from my Z932L using Tapatalk
MVPA 21751/GLMVPA
'45 MB Serial Number Unknown/Body 215953
'45 MB432364/Body 217478 Approx DOD 4-4-45

gohunter2@aol.com
G-Private
G-Private

Post by gohunter2@aol.com » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:15 am

I'm new to this site and just trying to find information regrading titling Humvee's in Michigan , is this a dead issue or are people trying to run this thru some type of legislative assistants.

Thomas Romine

Post by Thomas Romine » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:26 am

At this point it dead as we have been unable to find an elected official that is willing to help.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

MVPA 21751/GLMVPA
'45 MB Serial Number Unknown/Body 215953
'45 MB432364/Body 217478 Approx DOD 4-4-45

undysworld
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:06 am

Tom,

I suspect that the group of Michigan Humvee owners is so small that no legislator is taking your problem seriously. This was true here back in '08 when DMV cancelled titles for a couple dozen Pinzgauers. The key to legislative success is broad support.

I suggest that you look to the collector car community for support. Don't segregate yourself just because you like olive drab, because it doesn't really matter whether your favorite car is a '32 Ford Hi-boy, a chopped Mercury, a '67 Chevelle, or a Humvee, you are all "CAR GUYS". If your Humvee is illegal because it lacks a FMVSS Certification Label, then so are their cars. Your fight is their fight too, at least indirectly, and you guys all need to stick together to fight this.

We met with hundreds of groups and individuals and assembled an email notification system, so when we wrote and asked our group to phone the capital in support of our bills, the legislators got barraged. That way, when we actually visited the legislators offices, they had recently heard of us from several people. We once attended a Senate hearing with over 1000 signatures "in favor" of our bill. It's a lot of work, but it can be done.

Consider this: Your former military vehicle was used (at least in part) to fight for your rights. Maybe it's time for collectors in Michigan to fight to retain your vehicle rights. I wish you all the best.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gohunter2@aol.com
G-Private
G-Private

Post by gohunter2@aol.com » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:53 am

This is very unfortunate that the home of auto and Humvee will not permit civilians to drive these vehicle but yet police officer and all government personal have free range of the roads, I see them everywhere . Undysworld I agree 100% with you, Michigan Humvee owners are either to small for legislator help to compete against big companies or we just haven't united yet . There's always a way around the red tape but I would rather do everything the correct way but you can always title out state.

undysworld
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:10 am

gohunter2@aol.com wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:53 am
This is very unfortunate that the home of auto and Humvee will not permit civilians to drive these vehicle but yet police officer and all government personal have free range of the roads, I see them everywhere .
Yup, and those govt. employees are not required to have any special training to drive 'em either. Not only that, anybody with a valid out-of-state plate can drive their Humvee in Michigan, legally, due to reciprocity laws.
gohunter2@aol.com wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:53 am
There's always a way around the red tape but I would rather do everything the correct way but you can always title out state.
Some states (like Wisconsin, for instance) allow you to license your vehicle in another state, BUT, as soon as you operate that vehicle in Wisconsin it is immediately subject to Wisconsin registration requirements - meaning you get a ticket for non-registration. It all depends on your state's laws.

This should be seen as a threat by all car collectors in Michigan. :o What's that poem?... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...
First they came for the Humvees and I did not speak out, Because I did not own a Humvee....
(My apologies to the author)
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gohunter2@aol.com
G-Private
G-Private

Post by gohunter2@aol.com » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:51 am

This is very unfortunate that the home of auto and Humvee will not permit civilians to drive these vehicle but yet police officer and all government personal have free range of the roads, I see them everywhere . Undysworld I agree 100% with you, Michigan Humvee owners are either to small for legislator help and compete against big companies or we just haven't united yet . There's always a way around the red tape and would rather do everything the correct way but they may force us to title out of state.

Return to “Legislative Issues”