tail lights rebuild question

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Buzzerdbait
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
tail lights rebuild question

Post by Buzzerdbait » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:18 pm

I hate to ask questions that seem to get repeated over and over, but ive spent a lot of time trying to get some info and this is my last place to check. On my M38-A1 rebuild im getting to my lights soon. what do people do about rebuilding the tail lights? im eliminating the 24 volt wiring and the bulb sockets need replaced anyway. also i want to keep the military look of the black out lenses. can these lenses be used legally? or should i opt for some type of temp lights for when i drive it?

skyjeep50
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: tail lights rebuild question

Post by skyjeep50 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:25 am

You can get military tail light rebuild kits - check the military parts dealers. The kits include sockets and internal baffles, the sockets will accommodate 12v or 24v bulbs. I'm not sure if the stock tail light lenses are legal in your state, in any case they are very small and will be difficult to see. I equipped my M38 and M38A1 with Gama Goat full red lenses in place of the standard lenses - still military and are much more visible. They mount right up to standard housings. If you want the original lenses for show, they re-attach in a couple of minutes.

Buzzerdbait
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Buzzerdbait » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:38 pm

i havnt had any luck finding the full lenses. where can i get them?

skyjeep50
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by skyjeep50 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:12 am

Google "Gamma Goat lenses" you can see this link - try Midwest Military. Scroll down the page and there they are. This is a M37 page but they fit all M-series vehicles. There are other vendors out there as well. http://www.midwestmilitary.net/midwestm ... 37p11.html

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”