M38A1 carbuerator issues

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
swampy
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
M38A1 carbuerator issues

Post by swampy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:04 am

Wondering if anyone else has had issues where the Throttle cable (Dash pullout} gets screwed to the YS Carbuerator the screw holes get stripped out? Seems mine have always been that way, and wonder if there is a fix..........short of having to find a new/used carb body thats still in good shape, as if one exists anywhere at all......Not a laughing matter. ~ Swampy~

wilfreeman
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: M38A1 carbuerator issues

Post by wilfreeman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 pm

The guy that rebuilt my carb put a slightly longer screw into the hole in the corner. The hole near the air horn was still ok. You MIGHT be able to fit a metric thread screw that is slightly larger? The only other choice would be to drill/tap to the next larger size if there is enough meat left.
Matt
All I have left is an M762
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:18 am

Fine previous suggestion or if enough room a thin nut on the screw's end to allow tightening.
Securing the outer cable is essential for correct operation.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:45 am

Stripped threads at the throttle cable bracket location has been a long time M-38A1 issue. Those are blind threads in the carburetor body. The Army had a spare parts inventory making repair unnecessary. I always sorted thru the barrels of surplus YS carburetors sold as scrap at the DRMO facility and had plenty of extras. What happened was that some of those servicing carburetors had no feel for what was tight and stripped the threads. Perhaps a carburetor rebuilder out there can helicoil the two damaged threads.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

swampy
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by swampy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:31 am

Got a kit From John @ Midwest Military , got an old stock carb body in perfect condition from an old stock retailer. Rebuild went smooth, as i have done it more than a few times without any issues. That being said, after the rebuild i cant make it idle without having to pull the choke about 1/2 way...very frustrating.....dismanteled again double checked everything and cannot find the solution.......Frustrating, as i use this Jeep pretty regularly round these ol North Georiga mountians. Hoping someone can post a possible solution~ Swampy~

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”