Poor oil flow

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
pedormont
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Poor oil flow

Post by pedormont » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:50 pm

My bubbaized F-head came with oil lines jumpered on the driver's side oil gallery ports. Re-plumbed all external lines and installed the missing timing gear spray fitting.
Flushed oil pan and oil pump pick up. Very slow oil flow to filter cannister and zero oil flow to the cylinder head through the steel line; therefore no lube to rocker assembly. This engine was dry for a long time. Open to suggestions as to how to approach the problem. Does the pump need to be primed? What is the easiest method without removal?

skyjeep50
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: Poor oil flow

Post by skyjeep50 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:00 am

Before I started a rebuilt L-134 for the first time I pre-lubed the engine by disconnecting the oil line that goes from the oil filter to the fitting behind the fuel pump, connected a pressure pot (a re-purposed garden sprayer, bought new for the purpose) and pumped about a pint or so of oil into the oil gallery and oil pump. That's an easy stand-up location to access the oil gallery. But it may be that your oil gallery is blocked - full of crud. It might be best if you did some investigation to find out if the oil system is all free and clear in your engine before trying to run it. Taking the oil pump out is pretty easy - just a few bolts - just don't move the distributor shaft around when putting the oil pump back in or you can change the timing.

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”