Gen to Reg Cable Construction

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
Gen to Reg Cable Construction

Post by w30bob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi Guys,

I disconnected my generator to regulator cable today to clean up and it's so stiff it won't flex in any direction. I'm afraid it's going to shatter if I try to bend or move even the smallest amount. So.....I want to replace it now before bad things happen. I know NOS cables are unobtainium or ridiculously priced if you can find one.......so I'm wondering if anyone knows the specs for the cable itself? I can desolder the shield, re-use the connectors and get some thick heat shrink for the outside, but I'd like to make sure I can find the proper 3 conductor cable before I tear into it. I was hoping the ORD would list the components the cable is made from..........but no such luck. Anybody know what it is?

thanks,
bob

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Gen to Reg Cable Construction

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:40 am

A little patience, and homework on the ORD, NSN, FSN and Willys Part Numbers might pay off. There are a lot of Surplus dealers who may just have it in their stock for a reasonable price.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Cabin Fever
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Cabin Fever » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 am

1955 M38A1 MD 85388

MVPA Member #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association

w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by w30bob » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi Guys,

Cabin Fever.........that may be an NOS cable, but it's not for the M38A1. That cable is over 5ft long........the one I need is only 24 inches. It's gonna look a bit funny coiled up like an extension cord under my hood. It also doesn't use the same connectors......functionally they're ok, but they don't look the same. Guess it would work in a pinch. But I do appreciate the effort. There was an unused on eBay in Greece that didn't have the rubber insulation..........I ordered that one last night. Not sure how I'll mold new rubber insulation around it, but at least I'll have it to try.

Ben........thanks. I did look up the NSN and did find out it's a 3 conductor 12AWG. As for the dealers........I may be a bit naïve concerning jeep parts, but I've learned with my M37s that when a dealer lists a part price as "$POR$" it means "I've got one and bend over buddy cause if you want it........it's gonna cost ya". I leave that stuff alone for the rich guys to buy who are restoring vehicles to a condition that only existed for only a few hours or days and have very deep pockets. Many vendors have figured out that when their inventory gets down to one or two pieces they can make a killing by putting it up on eBay. It might take a few listings, but eventually they get the small fortune rarity demands.

As for the guys over at surplusjeep........they never update their website and never have the parts they claim to. When I did order a NOS gen to reg cable from them a few years back for my M37 they actually did claim to have one left and sent it. And although it was NOS.............when I took it out of the box and tried to straighten it the black rubber insulation shattered like glass all over my kitchen floor. To top it off it was the wrong cable and too short. Took me MONTHS and a ridiculous number of phone calls to get a refund AFTER I to a return authorization and sent it back to them. I don't even waist my time calling those guys anymore............BUT to humor you I just called them a few minutes ago to see if they had the gen - reg cable, which they list on their website for $85. I'm pretty sure you can guess what their answer was. Nope.

I've got a few MV friends I can still poke to see if they have one laying around, but I think this cable is now officially in the unobtainium column on my list. I'll get to making my own, but will keep an eye out for anything decent used that comes along.

regards,
bob

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:11 pm

You did not try hard enough.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by w30bob » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:32 am

Ben.........you're very pithy. :mrgreen:

I'm not giving up.......just trying to assess the situation.

thanks,
bob

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”