Voltage Regulator location M38a1

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Builder92
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Voltage Regulator location M38a1

Post by Builder92 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:07 am

Hello, I have a 1955 M38A1 and I need to weld a Voltage Regulator mount on the frame. Does anyone have a picture of one in place and also a measurement of how far to set it from the motor mount?

skyjeep50
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: Voltage Regulator location M38a1

Post by skyjeep50 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:41 am

The regulator mount appears to be attached with bolts - not welded, on the frame. If you have a A1 frame you should be able to see the bolt holes. On my M38A1 the regulator mount is placed 1 1/2 inches to the rear of the right motor mount plate. Some excellent pics are available over at Willys M Jeeps www.willysmjeeps.com in the "Photo Gallery". Log in over there to take a gander. http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules. ... _photo.php

w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by w30bob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:11 am

Sky,

I remember looking at my regulator mount frame last time I was under my A1. I'm pretty sure the regulator mounting frame is welded to my frame. Not the plate the regulator is bolted to, the framework underneath it. I saw one on eBay (link is below) and it was cut off the frame and the description noted that it needed to be welded on. So I think you're correct in regards to the actual part the regulator mounts to.....but that part mounts to a frame underneath it that is welded to the frame......and I think that is what Builder is referring to. But I'll check again when I go home later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Willys-M38 ... 5c&vxp=mtr

regards,
bob

Builder92
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Builder92 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Bob, exactly, in fact that is precisely the one I bought off eBay that you posted a link to.
A picture of your would be great if you don't mind, as well as a measurement from the motor mount to the bracket.
Thanks.
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by w30bob » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:27 am

Hi Builder,

Can do. As soon as I get home from work tonight I can snap some pics and take a measurement.

regards,
bob

w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by w30bob » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:48 am

Builder,

I lied.........I just couldn't get to it last night.........folks called and said they were coming for a visit today so I had to scramble to get the place presentable. But I just went out and took a look. It's a bit tough getting a good pic, with the driveshaft in the way, but here's what you need to know. Measuring from the frame bracket that the motor mount bolts to..........to the front edge of the regulator plate (the flat plate on top of the regulator mounting frame) is exactly 1 inch. From that same motor mount bracket to the first leg of the mounting frame is 6 1/2 inches. The two legs of the regulator frame mount are equal distance from the leaf spring rear shackle........meaning the shackle is right smack dab in the middle between the two mounting frame rails. Here's some pics, as best I could. If you need more info just shout.

thanks,
bob

Builder92
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Builder92 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Great thanks.
Do you think that metal plate (shield) on top of the bracket is original?
And can you send measurements on how large that plate is incase I add one on top of the mount I am welding on?

w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by w30bob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:00 am

Hi Builder,

Well, to be honest I can't guarantee that it is original, but from the pics I've seen of the same plate when I Google M38A1 Regulator..........it seems to be. It's different from the plate used on the M38, which uses a smaller one. Mine's a little bent up, as you can see, but I just got my jeep a few months ago and really haven't gone thru the whole thing. The plate is really what determines where the frame gets welded on the jeep frame rail, as under the plate, between the plate and the frame, is a small "U" channel that separated the plate from the frame rail. I'll see if I can get a decent pic of it tonight. You can also take a look at Wes' photo album over at willysmjeeps.com. Gotta get to work!

later,
bob

Builder92
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Builder92 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks.
I'll take a look at his pictures and will see if I can grab a measurement from someone on the plate size.

w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by w30bob » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:01 am

Hi Builder,

I don't mean to leave you hanging on this stuff.....it's just the weather has been fantastic this past week and I've got a ton of things that have to get done here on the farm when weather permits. Last night I got some measurements and some pics of the regulator mounting plate for you. I'll get them posted later, but here's a description to get you started.

The overall dimensions of the plate are 13 1/8 long by 8" wide. Looking at the plate from the topside, as if you were leaning over the passenger side fender, the upper right corner (nearest the motor mount) has the corner removed on a 45 degree angle. To do that mark one inch in each direction from the corner, scribe a line, and cut the corner off. Same goes for the upper left corner (nearest the starter) and the lower left corner.......but NOT the lower right (front) corner! Now go back to the upper left corner by the starter, and measure 1" on both sides from where you cut the corner off.......and mark each side. Then scribe a line and bend the plate up at that line 45 degrees. Once you do that the 3 corners are done, meaning the upper right, upper left and lower left all have their 1x1 corners cut off and the upper left corner is now bent up 45 degrees.

Now comes the tricky part..........and you'll understand what I'm saying way better when you see the pic. The lower right corner needs 2 bends to get it up to meet the frame, which is kicked up in this area. The first bend gets that corner of the plate to the right height (same as the frame) and then the second bend makes that corner of the plate sit flat on top of the frame. Mark the bottom edge of the plate (the edge closest to you or the tire) 3" from the front of the plate in that corner. Both bends will start at this mark you just made. Next mark the right side (side facing the front of the jeep) at 1 1/8" and then at 2 1/8" measuring from the lower right corner. Scribe a line from the mark you made on the bottom edge 3" from the corner to each of the two marks you just made at the front edge at 1 1/8" and 2 1/8". So looking at it you'll have two triangles, one inside the other and both starting at the mark you made 3" in from the front lower corner. Bend the longer scribe line (the one closest toward the center of the plate or that makes the bigger triangle) UP about 30 degrees. This is the bend that kicks the plate corner up to allow the rest of it to lay flat on the top of the frame. You'll have to dick with this angle a bit to get it perfect, but 30 degrees should get you in the ballpark. Once you get this right (you'll know when the second mark you made on the front edge is even with the top of the frame) you need to make the second bend to make the actual plate corner flat again and rest on the top of the frame rail. This is the only corner that's not cut off on a 45 degree angle.

Once you see the pic all this will become perfectly clear. You can also google "M38A1 regulator" and see pics of what I'm talking about if you can't wait for my pics. I need to pull my plate off to straighten it, but doubt I can get to that today.

Will shout back later.......or sooner if it rains.

:mrgreen:

regards,
bob

w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by w30bob » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:20 am

Builder,

Here's an update.........I just pulled off my regulator plate to get a better look at it and to straighten it. It is the original plate, no question there. But that bend I described in the upper left corner by the starter looks suspect. It doesn't look machine bent.......looks more redneck bent to me. I'm thinking someone needed access to the starter from underneath and just bent the thing upward. But I'm going to start looking on Google to see if I can find a pic of someone elses and I'll report back. I wouldn't bend that corner just yet. Otherwise it IS a flat plate with 3 corners snipped off and with a compound bend to clear the frame on one corner. I'll get some pics up when I get back from sandblasting it and the reg mounts. I can also tell you where you need to drill 2 holes for the reg harness clips.

later,
bob

w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by w30bob » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:26 am

Update to my update...........finally found a pic of the regulator plate in the second pic on this page;

http://m38a1willysjeeprestoration.blogs ... again.html

That corner should NOT be bend up.........I just straightened mine.

later,
bob

Builder92
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Builder92 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Great thanks, I'll look into adding a plate.
The one in the link does not have all the corners nipped off but that would make more sense. Here is another one that does.
Attachments
RollingChassis_19_12_15_24_bearbeitet_1_2-w1024-h768.jpg
RollingChassis_19_12_15_24_bearbeitet_1_2-w1024-h768.jpg (207.52 KiB) Viewed 861 times

Builder92
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Builder92 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:56 pm

Another question if you don't mind.
How many Frame Outrigger Brackets do you have on yours? I wanted to see if I had the correct amount, one web site said 6 but I only see 3 on most frames.
Attachments
0107.jpg
0107.jpg (102.25 KiB) Viewed 856 times

Builder92
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Builder92 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:02 pm

And some, like mine attached here, have 2 Outriggers and a third larger, more rectangle, one. I'm not sure what that larger one on the passenger side (left side of my picture) is for vs. a third regular Outrigger.
Attachments
IMG_20170629_165828406.jpg
IMG_20170629_165828406.jpg (216.74 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Last edited by Builder92 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”