Axe Straps......How to Install?

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
w30bob
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
Axe Straps......How to Install?

Post by w30bob » Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 am

Hi Guys,

Picked up a set of axe and shovel straps for my A1 but it's not intuitive as to how they install. I Google'd it and looked at Wes's pics over on willysmjeeps, but nothing shows enough detail to understand how the straps are installed. I'm talking for the axe here, the hood I got. The strap set comes with 3 straps, two short and one long, but no instructions. I also don't see any good pics on any of the vendor's sites, but see the question has been asked a dozen times on a variety of forums without anyone ever posting good pics. I understand that the loop on each strap attaches to the inner footmans loop, but then I'm lost. It sort of seems the long strap is for the axe head, but would rub against the blade after it comes up from under the head and goes thru the footman loop on top of the blade bracket on its way to the buckle. But that would be a bit stupid. It also would mean the handle strap would have to be one of the short straps that isn't long enough to reach both footman loops and loop over the handle somehow to keep it from moving around. UGH! If no one post a pic I might be tempted to drill a hole in the backside of the ax head, install a stud and bolt the darn thing right to the fender!! Did I mention UGH!!

So can somebody please finally post a pic or two of how the axe straps install? If you can't post pics but have them just email them to me at w30bob@verizon.net and I'll be happy to post then for you.

Appreciate the help..........THANKS.

regards,
bob

Kendall
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Axe Straps......How to Install?

Post by Kendall » Mon May 22, 2017 1:51 pm

What you describe is how the axe head strap is on my M38A1. There is a loop sewed into the strap near the buckle and secured to the footman loop on the fender, the long portion of the strap goes under the axe head, over the edge of the axe, through the footman loop to the buckle. I do not have straps for the handle.
Kendall

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon May 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Find a copy of TB-ORD-2300-20/4 dated Aug 1958. It illustrates 50's MV Pioneer Tool Stowage. Mine is not where I usually keep it. It isn't worth a darn for the M-38A1 Axe storage detail as the TB as issued was a poor copy at best and only shows the bracket and strap without the Axe in place. They sort of figure the GI is intelligent enough to rig the strap and buckle.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

MASH_4077

Post by MASH_4077 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:55 am

I wish I had pictures of my axe installed in my M38A1. Its not mounted anymore due to my PRC8/AM598 being mounted on that same side of the jeep.
Indiana MVPA Vice President
52 M38A1 8/52 MD17418
52 M100 9/52
61 M101 4/61
FOR SALE 54 M38A1
1/54 Build Date
MAKE OFFER!

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”