axe and shovel

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: axe and shovel

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Your Shovel length should be similar, and the bend in the rod goes down.
You should be OK, now.
And there is plenty of room for the 36" Axe, it is supposed to hang out beyond the wheel well, it will not be in the way.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

circleburner12
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by circleburner12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:48 am

dont think that will still give me enough room, by bolting the underneath. i'll change it over and let you know. thxs

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:03 am

Your Rod is installed upside down, turn it over and you will gain a couple 3 inches of clearance.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:38 am

Your shovel is not bent right for the M-38A1 installation. Note also that your rod is noit bent as much as the one on my Jeep. The Correct GI Issue Shovels had a spec for the "drop" at the bent portion, some of the shovels being supplied to Humvees do not meet the old specs for some reason.
Best to find a correct shovel, look closely at my pics and compare yours, you will see the difference. Becare of some of the guys that advertise "GI Issue Shovels" I got screwed by a long time seller who paints up "Yard Sale" shovels while he is on duty at the firehouse. He would not take it back.

wilfreeman

Post by wilfreeman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:46 am

Hey Ben, do you have a pic of the axe installed in the bracket with the strap? I think I have the footman loop in the right place, but the strap isn't long enough. I bought the strap set years ago (a 2 piece set - supposed to be for the axe and shovel, but they are both the same length). The shovel one looks like it will be the right size. Is there a strap for the axe handle? If so, do you have a pic of the footman/strap installation with axe strapped in?

Thanks - I'm finally getting down to the finishing touches now, and the manual isn't that good with the little details.
Matt
All I have left is an M762
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)

circleburner12

Post by circleburner12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:10 am

dang it joel, you just ruin my day LOL. no seriously, i turn the rod over and underneath the bracket and im so close for the hood to shut correctly. ive got a parts jeep at my dads, i'll check it out for a different rad rod or i may bend my rod just a tad to give some more clearence.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:22 am

Your rod looks a bit shallow at the bend.

circleburner12

Post by circleburner12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:38 am

joel im thinking of bending the rod alittle more. if my parts jeep does not have one.

circleburner12

Post by circleburner12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:42 am

matt, i dont think theres a strap for the handle of the axe. but joel would know more about that than i would!. i just ordered a strap set from webbee webbing and my strap for the axe and shovel were different lenghts with the axe strap being longer. im thinking of adding 2 footman loops and a strap to hold down the handle though.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:11 am

No Strap for the handle. The one at the bracket for the head is sufficient and it actually forces the axe handle to the side of the body as you can see in the photo. Will try to see if I can get a photo at the axehead, I have an AN/VRC-10 covering the axe.
Your Axe is just fine, I just looked at the pic you sent me.

circleburner12

Post by circleburner12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:23 am

joel could you post that pic of my axe on the forum for matt to take a look at.

wilfreeman

Post by wilfreeman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm baaack! Ok, I know it's been quite a few years, but this is the most relevant thread for this subject.

So, I DID get the axe strap information and got that installed. Now, 5 years later, I FINALLY finished the under side of my hood and shortened a shovel to fit the mounts. My problem? I can't figure out how to route the strap so that it tightens down! I have only found about 3 DECENT pictures of shovels mounted under the hood, but you can't tell how the strap is routed. Can someone take a close up pic of the handle area to show the routing (pretty) PLEASE?
Matt

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:49 am

Looking at these pics, if your shovel is the right length and the head is in the bracket correctly, routing the strap over the handle then securing the buckle over the handle should force the handle toward the hood. You will almost be springing the shovel at the crook.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

wilfreeman

Post by wilfreeman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks for the close up David. That's the way I had it routed, but the buckle ended up too close to the hood to tighten all down enough - I guessed there was a different routing to enable you to tighten it down. I made my own short shovel out of two tools I had in the shop, so maybe my handle is a smaller diameter than a military one because it is still too loose. When I get some time off, I am going to try adjusting the bracket to get the handle to push out away from the hood - then I can use the strap to pull it back down to the handle bracket. As of now, I have a piece of self stick foam under the handle to keep it from rattling around.
Matt

wilfreeman

Post by wilfreeman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:29 pm

Final update: I went out before work and adjusted the bracket for the shovel blade down as low as it would go. This allowed a fairly tight fit for the blade in the bracket - it did NOT raise the handle as I thought it might though. I might note that MY shovel blade is only 9.5" wide instead of the 10.5" original, so I am glad that the bracket is somewhat adjustable to be able to fit different shovels. In looking at the picture that David posted, I realize that my handle is not as wide or thick as his. I am guessing that this is causing my strap problem. The foam allows the handle to fit tighter in its bracket (to prevent rattles)and the strap to tighten down more, although it doesn't look original. I am going to trim it up a little more so that it is barely noticeable.

Thanks for the help guys.
Matt

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”