Re: Jerry Cans/Petroleum-Oils-Lubricants

Post by gerrykan » Sun May 02, 2010 11:05 am

Roy

gearhead
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by gearhead » Mon May 03, 2010 5:57 am

Roy, thanks for posting all these photos.
This last one is great, look at the detail of the jeep, frayed edges on top, worn paint, worn edges of body, civiy style front tire.
German or british style can. Inverted rifle rack.
Great little details !

Ed 8)
54 CJ-3A/B
56 DJ-3A for sale
45 GPW 271022, USMC 46 CJ-2A 2WD"gasser"
50 CJ-V35
58 CJ-3B
57 DJ-3A chassis for sale

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Mon May 03, 2010 4:18 pm

You are more than welcome Ed. I've got more when I can find the time.
Roy

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Fri May 21, 2010 11:34 am

A photo postcard said to have been printed in 1941, though I think the original photo was taken in 1905.
I wonder if it still there?

Roy

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Roy

Luis
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Luis » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:48 pm

American nurse Irene Steffens helping to unload gasoline cans from a C-47 transport plane.
Date taken: September 07, 1944

African American soldier piling up gas cans in preparation for the upcoming D-Day invasion of France.
Date taken: May 1944
Photographer: Frank Scherschel

Cheers :D
Mariano Paz
LU4ALM
1967 M606
1952 M100
MEP CE-016-AC Hol-Gar Mfg.
1945 Willys MB

Buenos Aires,ARGENTINA

horrocks
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by horrocks » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:12 am

Roy, I notice that several of the photos show US personnel handling German/Brit style gas cans, including the nurse unloading the C47, and the fuel dump in France a couple of pages back in which no US cans are visible at all.

I can remember a military surplus scrapyard here in Essex when I was a boy that had huge piles of Jerrycans the size of substantial houses. I used to go and mess about there with my cousin, and inevitably we eventually got caught and given a rocket. It was finally cleared in the mid-70s.
Toby

Willys MB 3/13/42 127415
Willys MB 1/9/45 404620

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:18 am

Note the Gun Ports in the C-47 windows.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Toby,
England provided millions of jerrycans for the invasion. I can't remember the exact number right now.
The US shipped many of them filled from the USA, so I'm sure your Countrymen shipped some of them filled from the mid-east oil fields under British control.
I'll try to find and scan the info this weekend. The number of cans required for an invasion are simply staggering.
Roy

horrocks
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by horrocks » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:36 am

I am intrigued by the pale colour of the cans being unloaded from the C47. They could of course all be of Wehrmacht origin, but if so I should imagine some of them would be dark grey. I have a Brit (43) Jerrycan that I found in an old barn in Normandy years ago (along with 2 German helmets, gas mask canisters, MG42 ammo tins, a belt of live 7.92 ammunition and the remains of 2 Wehrmacht uniforms, but thats another story!) which is painted in a pale khaki colour tonally quite close to dunkelgelb. I suspect these are the same as mine.
Toby

Willys MB 3/13/42 127415
Willys MB 1/9/45 404620

Geordie8888
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Geordie8888 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:23 am

I have a Brit (43) Jerrycan that I found in an old barn in Normandy years ago (along with 2 German helmets, gas mask canisters, MG42 ammo tins, a belt of live 7.92 ammunition and the remains of 2 Wehrmacht uniforms, but thats another story!)
Now that's a story I want to hear!!! :D
_________
Aug '42 MB 164337
Apr '43 MB 223831
British Airborne 10cwt Trailer
MVPA 31961 / MVCC (CO)

horrocks
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by horrocks » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:07 am

Geordie8888 wrote:
I have a Brit (43) Jerrycan that I found in an old barn in Normandy years ago (along with 2 German helmets, gas mask canisters, MG42 ammo tins, a belt of live 7.92 ammunition and the remains of 2 Wehrmacht uniforms, but thats another story!)
Now that's a story I want to hear!!! :D
Oh, not as exciting as it might have been, or complete. In 1988 we were looking to buy a house or farmstead in Normandy, and amongst many others we were shown a farm near Putanges that had a single storey cottage together with a range of stone barns, typically for Normandy including the original farmhouse at the end of the barn range. The barns always included a cider press, cowsheds and haybarns, and these were partly ruined, though the farmhouse was solid, and sealed up. The whole lot, together with a substantial orchard and planning permission for a new house above the orchard was being offered for the princely sum of £18,000. The old boy had lived in the cottage, but had recently been taken into care. The notaire had the keys to the cottage, and all the old boy's possessions were still in it. We were fascinated, and subsequently revisited the property. I noticed an external entrance to the attic above the cottage, and clambered up. Inside were boxes of the owners old possessions, clothes etc. Lying on the floor in front of me were the mouldered remains of two wehrmacht uniforms, with leather webbing and at least one water bottle. A box contained a full belt of 7.92 ammunition, which I recall waving out of the attic dormer at my brother and wife. In a toolshed attached to the cottage were two German helmets, one of them badly perforated by shrapnel, the gas mask canister (it had a name tag inside it, but no gas mask) and several 7.92 ammo boxes full of tools and nuts and bolts. Outside the cottage we found a British and a US jerrycan and an empty 25 pounder steel shell crate. One had a strong sense that there was an awful lot more to find, particularly in the sealed up farmhouse, but we also were aware that we were intruding upon somebody's private property and belongings, so we left, vowing to return. I regret to say that one of the helmets, the jerrycans, an ammo box and the canister found their way into the boot of our car, and they haunt me to this day not only with a sense of vague guilt, but with one of a story that will never be told. I think we can safely assume that their former owners are lying somewhere in the Norman soil. The old boy, who was undoubtedly the only one who knew what that story was would be long dead now.

A couple of years later I did return. The property was exactly as it had been, but all of the contents had been removed, and the grounds and barns cleared.

Putanges was on the only crossing over the River Orne available to the German forces retreating from the west and the failed Mortain adventure as they were constricted into the Falaise pocket in mid-August 1944. The final and most significant force to cross the bridge, on the 18th, was the 1st SS Panzer Division LAH, which was acting as an effective rearguard. The bridge was blown in front of the British 11th Armoured Division, as elements of the US 3rd Army came into the town from the south.
Toby

Willys MB 3/13/42 127415
Willys MB 1/9/45 404620

Return to “Vintage Photos & Video”