Indiana Military Vehicle Preservation Association

Moderator: Jim M

Mike_L.
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Armed Forces Day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Post by Mike_L. » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:31 am

Greetings fellow Indiana MVPA & HMV owners,

Have you ever considered showing your vehicle at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway? We have an invitation to bring our vehicles to the raceway on the Armed Forces Day weekend, 19-20 May. This event would be in conjunction with the Indiana National Guard’s static display and be co-located with current tactical vehicle, weapon, and equipment displays. If this sounds like something you would like to do, read on.

This year, the display area will only hold about 3-4 jeeps and trucks. WWII, KW, and VN era displays are welcome, US equipment preferred. If you are able to bring any correct period tactical equipment, uniforms, or other militaria to display with your vehicle, please bring it. Weapons are authorized though no live ammunition will be allowed on site. If you have a free-standing shelter, such as a TEMPER tent or similar, that can be setup to cover your vehicle/display, it is recommended to bring it also though not required.

The facilities will have night time security, complements of the National Guard and a few fellow Indiana MVPA members. It is not mandatory that you leave your vehicle/display overnight. The display area will be on an asphalt parking lot near a gate. No stakes can be driven into the display area.

It would be helpful if you were able to provide/post a placard about your vehicle/display such as make, model, year, pertinent history, etc. Also of note is you and your vehicle, jeeps preferred, being used to shuttle racetrack VIPs around during the day. These vehicles would be separate of any static display vehicles.

Your Indiana MVPA contact/coordinator is Greg Klug, (317) 590-1007, gklug@indy.rr.com. Please contact Greg directly if you can attend. Additionally, if you have any digital photos (.jpg, etc.) of you vehicle or display you would be bringing, please send to Greg when you respond to this call. There is still planning that needs to be addressed to support us so a prompt reply to Greg would be greatly appreciated. Greg still needs to work out the 'how many and what' details and relay them to track officials as soon as possible.

I should mention that you don't have to be an Indiana MVPA member though club members would have first shot at the available spaces and receive any approved reimbursements. Also, the display area will be bannered as Indiana MVPA.

This is our inaugural year at this event; please consider attending if at all possible. Let’s show the Guard and the public how it used to be back in the day. This year will be a small representation due to limited space but we are optimistic that a good showing will allow us to expand our presence in coming years. If you attend, we would like to post your photos or experience in the newsletter or on the new website at http://www.indianamvpa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. At the next meeting, I will introduce a discussion to consider certain reimbursements for the attendees. If you would like a voice, see you at the meeting.
Mike L.
1954 M37 WOW
Marion, IN
www.indianamvpa.org

mharris162
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Re: Armed Forces Day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Post by mharris162 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Mike, this really sounds like a great time and a good chance to make a showing for the Indiana MVPA. However, I am sorry that I will not be able to help out. I have made plans to be in Ohio that weekend to hunt for an m151a2 to bring home.

Mark Harris

Mike_L.
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Mike_L. » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:30 am

Mark,

You and I will both be there. I won't be in Indy that weekend either.

See you at Findlay,
Mike.
Mike L.
1954 M37 WOW
Marion, IN
www.indianamvpa.org

Mike_L.
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Mike_L. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Greetings all,

Got word from Greg today about those that have contacted him already. He said he had a few jeeps and some ammo trailers forecast for the display so far. He still has some room and was hoping he can get a vehicle (jeep or WC) with a MG mounted and a truck.

If you have something along these lines and you have considered attending, drop Greg a note soon. Thanks to those that have already contacted Greg so quick; space is filling.

See you at Anderson.
Mike L.
1954 M37 WOW
Marion, IN
www.indianamvpa.org

Return to “INMVPA, Rustbusters”