Left ignition switch ON

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
Scott in NM
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Left ignition switch ON

Post by Scott in NM » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 am

What are the ramifications of leaving the ignition switch on long enough for the batteries to be completely drained? Two things I can think of:
1. May need new batteries.
2. I heard some time back that this operator malfunction can burn out a coil. Can someone confirm?

Jeep won't start but cranks very nicely, assuming #2 could be the problem. Any other issues I should be made aware?

Thanks guys!

Scott

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: Left ignition switch ON

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Check for burnt points....

Easiest
Fastest
Cheapest

Then worry about the other components.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:40 pm

Good luck because it's always bad. I had that happen on my M37 two years ago (idiot neighbor) and it cost me two batteries. Batteries Plus tested them and they were completely ruined inside.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:58 pm

If you are lucky, it will just fry the points and not overheat and burn out the coil. look for discoloration of the contact points.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by JMZ421 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:51 pm

Please let us know what the fix was. The season will be starting soon and I am sure something like this will happen to me. Last summer while cutting the grass neighbor kidI( I think)pulled my fording handle, luckliy caught in time. John

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:38 am

Put a battery charger on the battery ASAP. Lowest charge rate and let it recharge over several hours. Long and slow is the secret.
If the battery was OK before, but now completely dead, the plates will sulphate, if left setting dead. Then it is toast.
One more thought. Be sure you get the charger polarity correct when connecting the charger. It is possible to reverse charge a completely dead battery. I have seen it happen. Positive becomes negative and negative becomes positive.
Check the aid level. If low add distilled water only. Not tap water.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:52 am

leaving the Ignition switch on has been going on in cars and trucks since battery ignition was introduced. Another event common to MV's is accidently leaving the BO Marker switch in "on" position, it will not affect Ignition components, but will drain the battery flat. This happens a lot when children (big children, too) are left alone in an MV.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:21 am

Leaving the ignition on over an extended period can soften the point's return spring. This allows one start the engine & it idle OK, but on acceleration missing & breakdown occurs
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:29 am

This is why all my MV's have battery disconnect switches and I use them religiously.

Scott in NM

Post by Scott in NM » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:54 am

OK, fried the coil. All connections showed a short (no resistance). Frying a coil is one thing, easy and cheap enough to get a replacement. What chaps my hide is that I think it to be the original coil as the jeep came off the assembly line. That really hurts.

Points seem to be OK.

Thanks for your inputs and help.

Scott

KiwiMB

Post by KiwiMB » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:36 pm

To generalise:
If the points are closed when the ignition is left on, then the battery will ultimately drain via the coil, to the points and then to earth (ground).
The constant flow of current through the coil will over heat the coil leading to coil burn out. Fortunately the slow drain of the battery should not damage the battery (or batteries as the case may be.

There should be no damage to the charging system provided that the cut out relay in the voltage regulator is functioning correctly.
Its a real bummer that your original coil burned out though.

Cheers

Ian
Ian J
New Zealand
1941 Willys MB
1953 M38A1 Nekaf
1998 Land Rover Wolf 90

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”