T-90 Transmission

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
lmgoldstein
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
T-90 Transmission

Post by lmgoldstein » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:49 pm

I am trying to "reconnect" my transmission. I couldn't do it all at once so I pulled the shaft and transfer case. Maybe make things a little easier. At the bottom of the transmission case I found 4 synchronizer keys, 5/8" long. Anybody have any idea where they go? I've gone through a couple videos step by step and I can't see where they go. Everything works fine. The only reason I found them was I completely drained the oil. Any thoughts or just chuck them. I didn't rebuild the thing so there was no reason for any to "come loose" I think. Thanks.

JMZ421
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: T-90 Transmission

Post by JMZ421 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:09 pm

I could be wrong but I think those keys are installed on one of the gears. Google t 90 transmission you you will see where they go. I rebuilt a transmission myself and remember those. I want to say you need to be careful the shaft does not move or those pop out. Everything needs to stay together nice tight until installed. Again. I am a novice but I did not have any parts or pieces laying in my t 90 case after I cleaned all the synchronizer material out of there. John

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Pictures & correct parts descriptors may help identiy what these keys are. Also what shaft did you remove?
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

lmgoldstein
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by lmgoldstein » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:58 pm

I removed the four bolts connecting the transmission to the transfer case. I pulled the transfer case free and the main shaft came out with it. In the bottom of the transmission I found the 4 needle bearings. I did not do a rebuild so there shouldn't be any "loose" bearings. right? Anyhow, I did drain the old oil and there were those four bearings. Where do they go? Everything turns the way it is supposed to. Any ideas? I have enclosed pictures. Did I break something?
Attachments
tranny case.JPG
tranny case.JPG (137.17 KiB) Viewed 952 times
main shaft.JPG
main shaft.JPG (136.06 KiB) Viewed 952 times
4 keys.JPG
4 keys.JPG (135.5 KiB) Viewed 952 times

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:17 pm

There should be 13? needle rollers inside the input shaft where the mainshft mates up.
Normally the mainshaft is not pulled out as you have done, because of what will always hapen, did.
The nut holding the transfer gear is removed as is the gear. This requires removal of the 6 bolts holding the plate on the transfer case housing, then the rear bearing, shaft etc is wired in place to stop them falling out & losing the needle rollers.

The mainshaft is never removed this way & will be near impossible to re-assemble with out doing a suggested earlier.

Find all 13 needle rollers & refit them. If good the last roller will not clip in but must be slid in between bearings 1 & 12.
Then fit the mainshaft with all parts except the transfer gear back into place.
NO OLD NEEDLE ROLLERS OR ANYTHING ELSE CAN BE LEFT LOOSE IN THE TRANSMISSION CASE.

I notice a transmission spacer so the engine is not an orignal but maybe a Ford by the look of the bellhousing.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

lmgoldstein
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by lmgoldstein » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:33 pm

I hate this thing. Oh yeah thanks. Appreciate the help. Something to work on tomorrow. You are right. It is a Ford engine. Did I mention I hate this thing? I hate this thing.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:54 am

Hint: I put a coating of general purpose grease in the input shaft and on the roller bearing needles when packing them back into the input shaft. Holds the needle bearings in place and you will have more hair left when finished.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”