Head gasket for 134L

1950 - 1952, M38, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38.
weldontsharr
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Head gasket for 134L

Post by weldontsharr » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:14 am

Ready to install head with new copper gasket. Should I use gasket sealer or just install head with gasket only? Thanks for any advice.

artificer
banned

Re: Head gasket for 134L

Post by artificer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:41 am

What are the gasket maker's recommendations? We used to spray with a product called silver frost. I have no connection with, know of these guys but you might choose to read &/or contact.
http://www.headgasket.com/gaskets.html
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

weldontsharr
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by weldontsharr » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:15 am

Thank you artificer, will check. Old gasket did not appear to have had any treatment. The "new copper gasket" came from Midwest Military.

weldontsharr
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by weldontsharr » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:27 pm

I believe I will not use any gasket treatment on the head gasket.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:37 am

I would call Midwest.
Copper is soft and yielding but still might not seal a scratch and you might end up with a coolant leak.
Some of the new gasket do not use sealer but are pre coated.
I would think bare metal should have something on it, although I am not familiar with the gasket you are referring to.
I like Coppercoat by 3M.
Back in the dark ages, I used aluminum paint. I am thinking that was similar to what John G. is referring to.
Make the call. You will sleep better. :D
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:17 am

I have used Permatex Copper Spray for 25 years without problems-follow the instructions. Prior to that we used to use Permatex #3 brushed or rolled on.. Not all installations may require sealer, but it does no harm and adds a layer of protection.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Joel wrote:Not all installations may require sealer, but it does no harm and adds a layer of protection.
Depending on gasket type [not is all as it was, in the dark ages] & manufacturer's instructions, that is not always the case.
In fact using sealer can be detrimental with many modern type head gaskets.
Some of these modern type head gaskets are commonly supplied in either L/F134 gasket sets or individually from parts vendors.
http://www.engineaustralia.com.au/sites ... /SB043.pdf
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Original WWII, thru Korean War era head gaskets still surface as well as the Willys factory Victor head gaskets.
Think back 50-60 years ago to a time when there were tens of thousands of Jeeps in use in the Army and the same for CJ's. There were thousands of repair shops ranging from the neighborhood garage to authorized Jeep Dealers, same goes to the army from 2nd Echelon Shops that requested permission tho change the head gasket to the ordnance support units. Throw in the back yard mechanic and gas station and you have the big picture. There were many time tested choices of sealing 40's style head gaskets, one method was to smear grease over the asbestos portion, I never subscribed to that.
Prior to the Permatex Copper Spray, mechanics brushed on Permatex #3 and Permatex "High Tack" (red colored stuff) Many old time mechanics who started out in the 1920's did not use torque wrenches and got by OK. Fel Pro has their own head gasket sealer in the 80's. Note the head gasket instructions in the Willys Service manual for the Universal Jeep, there was no mention of head gasket sealer and the illustrations appeared to feature the all metal Victors.
It depends on the type gasket, condition of the head gasket surface of the block and head, the experience and skill of the mechanic.
I sold one municipal public works dept a new Jeep engine after selling them several gaskets. When questioned about how they were installing the gaskets,the public works foreman responded that he had been fixing the public works trucks for 30 years and ought to know how to change a head gasket. The exchange engine he sent had blue silicone as a head gasket sealer. All the engine needed was the head planed and a fresh gasket.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:10 am

Deja Vue !
I had totally forgot about smearing grease on a head gasket. I remember some "Old Time Mechanics" I hung around with, when growing up, that did it. ( The dark ages ). As I recall, they were from eastern Tennessee. "Hurry up and get that head back on Bubba, fore the revenuers show up ! " :lol:
I also was never sold on the idea.
Back to these new copper head gaskets being referred to. Are they solid copper or soft centered, metal clad like the old style gasket ??
They sound like race car stuff and most likely expensive.
Any opinions on how well they work and are they worth it ??
If they are solid, I would think they are not very forgiving. The head and deck would have to be in really good condition and flat.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

weldontsharr
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by weldontsharr » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks all for the info. Will call Midwest military. A pone further inspection, gasket is soft copper, does not appear to be solid, and even though it is still in the wrapping, I have found a couple of "small" imperfections. Will check into purchasing some permatex copper spray after talking to MWM.

weldontsharr
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by weldontsharr » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Follow up-- used copper gasket spray both sides- worked well- have not started engine yet, that will be the test.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:00 am

Be sure to use Permatex #2 or Permatex #3 on the bolt threads, and retorque after initial warm up.

weldontsharr
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by weldontsharr » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:19 pm

Thanks Ben, used permatex #2 torqued head bolts to 65# and will retoque after I warm her up. Starting on body now.

Return to “M38 Technical Knowledge Base”