another question

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
old man
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

another question

Post by old man » Tue May 16, 2017 4:55 am

So many new questions. Sorry.
A I loaded up my new project I found it confusing as to the best way to secure the Jeep for travel. the photo is just what I came up with to get the old girl home.
I am wondering if I can better secure it by using the rings on the wheel hubs, or will this put to much stress on the lift rings. At the time of the photo I did not have a hook small enough to fit into the ring,
just looking for abetter way to secure the load.
Attachments
001z.jpg
001z.jpg (136.31 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
Re: another question

Post by markrdje » Tue May 16, 2017 6:50 am

my answer is not appropiate
Last edited by markrdje on Tue May 16, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
change user name to mark

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 am

My recommendation:
Rear right of trailer to rear left fender bracket
Left rear of trailer to Right Rear fender bracket
Front Right trailer to LEFT front bumper bracket
Front Left trailer to Right front bumper bracket
Set brake
Put in 1st gear

Now if you have an extra, go from center rear of trailer to pintle (double looped) that way if you brake hard, the force is on the rearmost strap not the side straps.

Crossing the straps is (likely) a DOT requirement (for truckers) as I have seen it, the strap (or chain) keeps it from falling off the opposite side of the trailer. As you have the rear straps right now, if you lost one (they tear across sharp metal) then the load could move to the edge and fall off with the remaining strap as it's vertical not crossing over to the opposite side.

So for me...5 straps (or chains with chain tensioners) and you'd never loose your load or have it move around on the deck.
V/R W Winget

PS: Rolled a 1/2 track one year, it remained tied to the deck of the trailer due to the tiedown job I did. If only they hadn't overloaded the trailer with crap the accident would have never happened, but what I tied down stayed put even in a roll.
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

svramselaar
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by svramselaar » Tue May 16, 2017 11:48 pm

hi

it is better on the wheels now the car can not loosen the strap by moving only at the tire`s
if you do this at the frame the car can move his springs can go in and out

http://www.ebotex.nl/images/uploads/spe ... ollage.jpg

or do it like this :D :D

george
1976 ? M 151 A2 AMG MUTT lost in acsedent
1978 M 416 A1 ( parkhurst ) trailer
1970 m151 A2 FORD BUDD tub
1957 Volvo sugga radio truck
M 274 mule HOME MADE MULE

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Wed May 17, 2017 4:23 am

You will not hurt those wheel hubs, They are designed to sling load the vehicle, fully loaded, under helicopters from those hubs. They also use them for tie downs on rail cars. I have used them to tie down on my trailer but I have found that they are so low that in order to get a good secure tie down the straps have to be very tight so I use the cargo tie downs on the bumpers. The thing you have to remember with them is you are above the suspension and as you drive the vehicle is bouncing up and down. When it goes down the straps loosen and when it comes back up they slam tight. This is rough on the vehicle, the straps and the trailer. The absolute best way to tie a vehicle down is wheel baskets that go over the tires and are tied down to E-track at the floor. Your trailer has to be set up for this but it is well worth it. I will be doing this to my latest trailer very soon. This way you are holding the tires from moving but the suspension is free to move. This make life easier on the towed vehicle, the trailer and you since you do not feel as much of the shock up front.

Crossed straps are the industry standard but it is like what oil to use, it is an argument that will go on forever. I always tell people to just look at what the pros are doing on trailers and rollbacks driving down the road. I learned tie down from a rigger so everything was crossed and then done again for redundancy. Not only was it crossed side to side but also front to back like spring lines on a boat. That is a bit of overkill on a vehicle tie down though. :roll:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Wed May 17, 2017 4:34 am

And that truck transport had to be India, They have the worst driving habits I have ever seen. Now we have Indian dump truck drivers coming over here and bringing their habits with them! You do NOT want to get next to one!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”