I have questions ????????

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
snipertn
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
I have questions ????????

Post by snipertn » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:20 am

I am new to the M151A2 family. The MUTT that I am about to buy is in great shape but needs some work. It has been sitting in a barn for about 4-5 years and the gas that is in it has turned into varnish. I know that the tank will need to be pulled and cleaned . My question for you guys that have owned these vehicles is this ;

What will be the best way to clean the fuel system to clean out the varnish ?

Where could I find another starter button ? The one in it now doesnt work all the time .

The engine is full of oil and turns over, so I think that that is good as it turns over freely and smooth .

There appears to be little to no rust in the frame and the MUTT was never cut .

Have any of you guys ever seen a MUTT with what appears to be blackout lights mounted on the dash ? I have never seen any like that before on any Military vehicles I have operated in my military career.

Any other help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated or other things I need to check out before I finalize this purchase would be helpful .

snipertn

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: I have questions ????????

Post by muttguru » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:25 am

snipertn wrote: Any other help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated or other things I need to check out before I finalize this purchase would be helpful . snipertn
Why don't you post a few photos of the vehicle here? I'm sure we can all add some relevant comments and advice when we see it.
ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:55 am

Acetone is good for cleaning the varnish as is regular carb cleaner, I guess it depends on how much cleaning you need to do. I would rebuild the carb and get that good and clean and the be sure the tank is free of any loose debris and any thick goo. The original fuel pump may or may not still work after sitting for years but they are readily available. After that just cut the fuel line before the carburetor and put a clear filter, like the Fram plastic one, in the line and just start running it. The alcohol in today's gasoline is the best solvent you can get and it will clean out the lines and the tank of varnish as you drive. Keep several extra filters with you so if one clogs up on the road it is a 2 minute fix to put in a new one. I don't know what you mean by blackout dash lights? They have three settings, High, low and off.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:59 am

If you rebuild the carb make sure the gas tank is also cleaned.
If you cant wait then start the engine on a clean source of Fuel as gas can.
It means connecting a rubber hose to the fuel pump but it eliminates mucking up a rebuilt carb:
These carbs are very fussy about dirt so cleanliness is important.
As Rick says proper filters at the intake are important but a clean source is basic.
Some time ago we did things in reverse .
The result was taking the carb of several times to clean things.
Finally we took out the tank and cleaned thoroughly.
After that the fuel problems went away.
Good luck on your purchase!

Fil Bonica

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:49 pm

Correct oem starter switches are gettng a bit Pricey!
Saw one on ebay for over 100.00.
Frontlne wanted around $86.00
It would be wise to shop around for a civy equivalent
Fil Bonica

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:23 pm

I think it might be hard to find a civvy switch that will fit in that box?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

snipertn
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by snipertn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:07 am

Thanks guys for the info. I will get some pics the next time I go to work on it to see if we can get it started . I will take a fuel can and some extra fuel line to by pass the fuel tank . Hopefully the fuel pump still works . when we were there last week we disconnected th fuel line to the carb . When we tried to start it, there was nothing comming out of the fuel line . I figure either the pump is clogged, or the line is clogged somewhere . The tank is dirty and full ov varnish from sitting so long .

Again thanks for the help, please keep it coming .

snipertn

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 am

If you want, squirt a little in to the carb directly and see if it starts when you crank it over.

Fil Bonica

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:50 am

Easiest way to check is to take the line loose at the pump going to the barb and crank it. If you get gas there then tighten that one and loosen the line before the filter at the carb and try again. Gas, good, tighten and try again. No gas in carb and the float is probably stuck. Pretty much guarantee the carb will need to be cleaned no matter what.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:44 am

Buy some crystal type drain cleaner (not the gel type)
Put a few gallons of hot water in the tank, add half the can of crystal drain cleaner, slosh it around. (wear gloves, apron, goggles) let it sit a few minutes and slosh it then move it to another position, repeat. The hot water and drain cleaner will eliminate the varnish in the tank. flush with your garden hose, air dry. wipe out what you can with your arm and a rag or wire with rag on it.
Dispose of properly (now I suppose it's ok for septic systems, but your household drain usually doesn't have a lot of fuel residue in it, maybe oil from cooking fats, etc.)
Bottom line add the crystals to the hot water not the other way around (I think it's Lye) and wash it off YOU if it splatters on you.
V/R W. Winget

snipertn
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by snipertn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:54 am

Rickf,

Someone took some blackout lights and installed them across the dash . I dont know if this was a local unit mod, or if someone just wired them in and drilled holes in the dash to mount them . When I can I will get pics of the MUTT and post them if I can . I have never been very good at posting pics .

Again thanks for all the useful info and keep it coming ,

snipertn

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 am

If they are actual blackout lights and are tied into the dash light circuit it could have been done in service, They tended to get away with a lot of unauthorized modification in some places.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

snipertn
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by snipertn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:42 am

How hard would it be to convert it to a keyed starter switch ? It should not be that hard should it ?

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:59 am

If you are talking about a switch where you just turn the switch and it starts then yes it is going to be complicated. It can be done but you are going to have to butcher some wiring. Are you planning to stay with 24 volts? If yes then it gets more expensive also because you now are looking at heavy truck or construction equipment parts. If you are going to convert to 12 volt then that will get expensive because you will need to get a 12 volt starter, someone is making them now, not cheap. You will also need to change out all the gauges and lights and alternator. If you go with a points ignition then the coil will work but if you want electronic then you will need the points as a trigger and an aftermarket such as a MSD-6.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:53 am

snipertn wrote:How hard would it be to convert it to a keyed starter switch ? It should not be that hard should it ?
Snipe,
what happened to those pictures you promised to post? We'd still like to see your vehicle :D
ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”