MUTT MEMORIES of VIET NAM

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

MUTT MEMORIES of VIET NAM

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:11 pm

Last time I saw SFC Joe Nye alive while on active duty was in the early 70's while on recuperation leave from one of the many times he was wounded in combat. Joe Nye was a quiet guy that you would not notice in a crowd. Joe's speciality was demolitions, he was Maine's most decorated Viet Nam Veteran, his baptism into combat was the Battle of Ia Drang. Not to many years ago a Huey Pilot named Bruce Crandall received the MOH for his bravery flying missions into and out of Ia Drang. Sgt Nye cleared a landing zone with demolitions in order that the Hueys could land. Joe was in the 7th Cavalry at the time. That time I last met him he was healing from wounds received as a tunnel rat. I was in an M-38A1 and the discussion turned to 1/4 ton trucks in combat. and how he lubricated his assigned M-151 with Aircraft Grease.
More on Joe Nye in the future.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: MUTT MEMORIES of VIET NAM

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:45 pm

I always think of Joe, real name George around Christmas time. Joe started his military service with the Maine National Guard in an Engineer unit at Brewer, Maine, his specialty was demolitions. Joe was just a quiet guy that could melt into a crowd, Vietnam was brewing and he wanted to do something for his country. Joe turned into a mongoose when it came to action, he served 4 tours in Vietnam,three with the 5th Special Forces Group. He served four years, eight months, and ten days in Vietnam and another eighteen months in army hospitals before he was retired, disabled, in June 1975. He was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star,and five Purple Hearts. In 1991, Joe became a Troop Greeter, meeting the charted airliners landing at Bangor International Airport with American soldiers returning from the Persian gulf, Troop greeters numberes in the hundreds and Joe was their most enthusiatic member. Joe was there, rain or shine, no matter the time or weather. It was estimated he personally shook the hands of fifty thousand returning soldiers. One returnee was Army Captain David Moore, 82nd Airborne, son of his old battlefield commander at LZ X-Ray, General Hal Moore. Joe bought a Christmas tree which he planned to decorate at home with yellow ribbons and small American flags and display at the terminal. Joe died at his home before he could take the tree to the airport, his friends completed the tree and dedicated it to Sergeant Joe Nye.
Joe served his country well. He was my friend.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Salute to Sergeant Joe (George) Nye. May his sacrifices never be forgotten.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:09 pm

I almost forgot one more highly decorated friend from my younger years, Oakie Hurd, another quiet guy whom I have only seen twice since the late 50's,he was a Helicopter Pilot and was awarded the Silver Star.

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”