General advice sought: Buddy's 151 fuel issue

M151 General Discussion and Chat Board
Starvingboy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

General advice sought: Buddy's 151 fuel issue

Post by Starvingboy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:18 am

A buddy of mine has an old M151 that is constantly having fuel issues. One of these day's I'll have to go over and help him out, but I thought I would ask around for general advice.

Right now, he has a wire running across the floor to a switch, and says that goes to a electric fuel pump. I asked about replacing the original, he says it is in the fuel tank and impossible to find replacements.

He's a 'Nam vet, and doesn't get around very well anymore. I'm a family guy, so not a lot of spare time for fussing and messing, but I'd like to help him out if I can.

What's the best way to go about this? Thoughts? Ideas?

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: General advice sought: Buddy's 151 fuel issue

Post by Rickf » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:41 am

Well, you leave that kind of wide open, there are several ways of doing it. I am assuming the fuel pump he has on there now is an external inline one? The most common cure is to go with a engine mounted fuel pump like the A2 uses and then either go with an A2 windshield with the electric wipers or tap into the intake vacuum for the A1 wipers and use Ran-X on the windshield or just use Rain-X only. The Rain-X works great on the small flat windshield and most people do not drive their 151's in the rain all that often anyway. The stock pump can be found but they are pricey. The problem with the inline pumps is that they are designed to push gas and not pull it so they really need to be close to the tank and below the fuel level. In this case you do not want to cut the metal line in the passenger compartment so what I always suggest is to mount the pump where the loop in the line is on the drivers fender. This gets it as low as possible and once primed it is pushing for the most part. One thing you need to check on his is the carburetor and make sure it is absolutely clean. They tend to get gunk in the idle circuits and that fouls up the entire range. Also be sure the accelerator pump is working, if it dies or bogs when you hit the gas the pump diaphragm is bad.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Starvingboy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Starvingboy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:10 am

Yes, I realize it's pretty vague, but... I'm trying to look out for the "Gotcha's" before I dive into this task. Y'know, take obvious part "A" off, spring made of pure unobtanium flies off into the sunset, leaving M151 broken and un-running... that sort of thing. I really don't know what I'm in for, and prefer to learn from OTHER people's mistakes :D

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:53 am

I don't think you will run into any of those types of problems and I am on here every day so if you have any problems I am always available. I can even call you if you get real jammed up.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Return to “M151 General Discussion Board”